Free GRE Resources Master Post

sarab

I'm applying to graduate schools in mathematics. My General GRE scores are 166V/162Q/5.0AW. I also have a masters degree in mathematics. Do you think the Quant section will go against me?

Hiii guys,

thanks to you all for the amazing resources. I have a question about GRE prep : is it better to finish one task like Math for ex. and then move to the next one or do them simultaneously ?

I think it's a good idea to start with your weakest section (quantitative or verbal). This will give you more time to practice and review concepts.

However, regardless of which section you start with, be sure to start building your vocabulary from Day 1 and devote time each study session to learn more words.

Cheers,

Brent - Greenlight Test Prep 

Hi jayeshbadwaik,

Considering that you already have a Masters in mathematics and you're planning to apply to additional programs in Mathematics, I think that a Q162 will probably 'work against' your overall application. To confirm this, you might want to research the Programs that you're interested in. Many Schools/Programs publish data on recent incoming 'classes', so that you can get a sense of how your GRE scores 'compete.'

How did you prepare for the GRE? How long did you study?

When are you planning to apply to School?

GRE Masters aren't born, they're made,

Rich

I'm applying to graduate schools in mathematics. My General GRE scores are 166V/162Q/5.0AW. I also have a masters degree in mathematics. Do you think the Quant section will go against me?

Hi jayeshbadwaik, 

You might want to post your question in the main forum. This thread is devoted to free GRE resources, so you may get more feedback by re-posting your question as a new thread. 

Cheers,

Brent - Greenlight Test Prep 

Edited by Brent@GreenlightGRE

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I took the GRE in 2003 when there were  a lot less resources online (and I didn't know anyone else taking it, and only a couple of people who had ever taken it). A PhD and several years of teaching later, I now work for an educational technology company called GoConqr. We make a suite of free study tools- flashcards, mindmaps, quizzes, slides - and you can create your own material or search for existing resources.

I think what would have helped me most is using flashcards for studying vocab for the verbal reasoning section, especially since you can use the mobile app to view them on a smartphone (couldn't have done that in 2003!).

You can check out some flashcards here, or make your own.

https://www.goconqr.com/en-US/p/4030568

Good luck! The GRE is the worst part of this process  - Grad School is stressful too of course but you're surrounded by classmates.

~ Sarah

Edited by segan
left out www!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For those who are looking to study math concepts to prepare for the Quant. sections:  Khan Academy is free and breaks math up by grade levels and concepts.  I've used them to review calculus before and they've been really helpful.  They have a lot of algebra and geometry available, and have videos demonstrating most concepts.

Also, while not free, Magoosh recommends using older editions of the GMAT Official Guide, as their questions are comparable to GRE.  You can literally find copies of the 2013 GMAT Official Guide on Amazon for $0.01.  Shipping is another matter.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I created a multiplayer vocabulary quiz web application. It is live at grequiz.com.

In this quiz, you challenge your opponent with a word and answer their challenge question. Whoever gets the highest score in a round of five wins the game.

Check it out at grequiz.com. I would love your feedback.

• 6 months later...

Hi, for those looking for free test focused on quant with really good questions I would recommend grequantchamp.com 

The questions are very well written and covered lots of good material. I used their deluxe 12 test package and it proved really helpful!

• 1 month later...

Hi, I am international applicant! I am in a dilemma and desperately need your advice! I took GRE twice first I got following scores : Q159, V 156 and AWA 3.5

Since my AWA score was pretty low I decided to try it again, this time I got Q156, V155 and in AWA 4.5, my AWA score is much better now, but Quantitative and Verbal scores are little lower

My target schools are Harvard kennedy mpp, columbia sipa Mpa, tufts fletcher MALD, Georgetown MSFS Syracuse maxwell mpa, washington ewans mpa,  the average GRE scores of accepted candidates at these schools are in around 70 percentiles. So, now I don't know what to do, the Verbal and Quantitative scores of my first GRE exam are above 70 percentiles and therefore above average scores at my target schools, but my AWA is below average, whereas Q and V scores of my second exam are little lower than average but AWA is above average What should I do? Should I report both scores? Or the first one? Or the second one? Will scoring a little less in Q and Verbal section lower my chances of accepting at these schools?

• 6 months later...
On 12/19/2018 at 3:40 AM, Roy1255 said:

Great, all resources at one place. Glad I landed in the perfect place that helps in GRE prep. Even I found a GRE app that has a lot of practice questions with performance insights and score prediction. This helps to rise the GRE score.

Seconding this. Galvanize is seriously amazing. It's especially good for Quants

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Just found out that if you get a Kindle Unlimited subscription, you can access so many free test books! It is $9.99 a month and has new test books from different companies. If you are looking for extra practice then you could access multiple test books in a month for just 10 bucks. Definitely seems worth it if you are on a budget! 

On 12/28/2020 at 5:35 PM, alts98 said:

Just found out that if you get a Kindle Unlimited subscription, you can access so many free test books! It is $9.99 a month and has new test books from different companies. If you are looking for extra practice then you could access multiple test books in a month for just 10 bucks. Definitely seems worth it if you are on a budget! 

Oh, that's excellent information, thank you for sharing! I personally have already taken the GRE but it's good to know and I'll be sure to pass it on to anyone who might need it. 

• 1 month later...

These free resources are awesome! Thanks for sharing them all here. This must be so timely. I badly need some sources right now since I'm still starting out. This thread is an extensive research. Due credit should be given to the authors too! I will read them starting today until I take the test. I hope I can pass in time! Crossing my fingers. I'm starting to get some butterflies in my stomach due to test anxiety.