Magoosh GRE Score Predictor

nqwerty

I'm wondering if anyone has used Magoosh prep (particularly noting their estimated scores after doing practices) and then compared those scores to their actual GRE scores.

I've taken two live practice tests, and I've done a couple of diagnostic tests out of prep books.  At least for the verbal, all of these tests seem to place me in the 90s (most recently, 94th percentile).  Magoosh keeps giving me an estimated score landing me somewhere between the 65th and 83rd percentiles.  This is a huge discrepancy.

I know some have said that their quant scores were higher on the GRE than what Magoosh predicted, but no one's mentioned anything about verbal.  Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Effectively, Magoosh and PowerPrep were the only 2 preparation tools I used. I also tried Princeton Review's sample questions and a diagnostic test (Don't remember the score I got). Magoosh turned out to be much closer to the real thing while PR's questions were mostly easier than the real GRE.

Any how, Magoosh's score predictor gave me a Verbal range of 155-160. Attempted two of their timed practice tests: verbal score was 153 in both.

In PowerPrep II V2.0, I got a disappointing and worrying 147! (English isn't my first language)

Appeared for GRE on 17th July: 157V, 158Q, 4.0 AW! Thus, Magoosh's score range was spot on (thankfully for me :)).

Edited by AdilBari990

I found that Magoosh was pretty accurate. I did quite a bit better on the verbal than it anticipated, but it was accurate for the quant. I wouldn't place too much value on the practice tests though, as I found the quant on the actual exam was harder than what I practiced. Guess it shows that no matter how much you do, you can only predict so much about the exam. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I thought I'd post an update in the aftermath of the GRE, if anyone is wondering.  For the record, I found Magoosh really helpful, and I highly recommend it.  I did end up scoring higher on the actual GRE -- verbal was in the 90s, and Magoosh consistently underestimated my score.  To me, that's not a real problem.  It scared me quite a bit, but I'd rather they underestimate than overestimate... Just my two cents.

What I judge is that for "41" possible scores and "40" questions-together in both sections- GRE scores are usually correspond to number to RIGHT ANSWERS - though percentiles and difficultly levels always may come into play as we all know. In Power Prep found this relation pretty close to scores. I found myself incorrigible at verbal  :( and very confused which scores should I believe...I'm sharing my results on different simulators.

PP: V 144 (14/40) : Q 161 (32 / 40)

Manhattan: V 156 : Q 163, V 155 : Q 162, V 147: 163

Princeton Review: V 149 : Q 162

Kaplan: V 142 : Q 164

Verbal behaves so capricious with me :huh: .... don't do what I'm going to get on monday (Feb 03, 2014 Real GRE).

• 7 months later...

Sorry to resurrect an old topic, but I searched for this question online and found this forum. You guys helped me, so I'd like to help others by relating my experience. 

I started studying for the GRE all the way back in 2012. I always thought I was good in math, so I hadn't bothered to study math at all for about 9 months. Then, I tried a practice test with manhattan prep and found out that my verbal was just fine, somewhere around 164, but my math was horrible, at 155 (and I'm an engineer, wtf?) So I started studying math very diligently. I studied much of Kaplan, and learned a few tricks, and then tried a test from ETS PowerPrep II. I scored a 159. It looked like I hadn't improved at all. Next, I took a math course from Kaplan specifically designed to get an "elite" score. I thought I was doing pretty good. I also studied Princeton Review, took their math tests, as well as many tests from Mahattan Prep. My scores were varied, and sure enough, one week before my actual test, I took the second ETS PowerPrep II test and scored a 162 in both Quant and Verbal. This was pretty good, but there were questions on that test that had me sitting there for far too long trying to figure out, and I wanted to make the "average" score or better for successful applicants into MIT, Stanford, etc. 

This is where Magoosh comes in. Knowing I needed something drastic, and only one week before the test, I bought the Magoosh package for $100 and studied for a solid week, (including a full weekend). At first, the Magoosh problems would stump me. But after a little bit of time watching their explanatory videos, taking notes on problems that stumped me the most, and all that practice, I definitely improved my speed, comprehension, and accuracy. Here are my stats:

Kaplan: (unsure, the course expired, but I recall the average being somewhere around 161 for quant and 163 for verbal)

Mahattan Prep Average: Q159, V161

Princeton Review: Q163-164, V:163

Magoosh Score Predictor: Q158-163, V155-160

PowerPrep II first test: Q159, V163 

PowerPrep II second test: Q162, V162

Actual Test: Q166, V164  :)

Edited by jdnels81

• 10 months later...

The longer the time frame you stretch out the magoosh score predictor, the less reliable it is. A bunch of questions you did at the beginning some months ago probably shouldn't be included in the analysis but they are.

This is what currently has me concerned, which led to me stumbling upon this thread.

I actually purchased the Magoosh prep way back in April, but due to some personal reasons, I rescheduled what was a June GRE test date to mid September. I'm essentially done the entire Magoosh verbal question bank, but quite a bit of it was done earlier on in my studying (April/May). I noticed that my estimated score has dipped in the last few weeks, due to getting wrong the majority of questions left, many of which fell under the "very hard" triple blank questions. Also, earlier on my vocab was much more limited than it is now; I'm presuming those questions are also dragging this score down. I've yet to actually write a full prep test, so I can't say how the estimated score compares, but I hope it's higher than the estimated Magoosh...

Edited by HYHY02

Hi HYHY02,

From what you describe, the only reasonable 'next' move is to take a FULL MST (including the Essays) in a realistic and test-like fashion. 'Estimates' are all well-and-good, but there's no substitute for a FULL MST. You should plan to take one soon (perhaps this weekend) and report back with your scores.

GRE Masters aren't born, they're made,

Rich