Question about Language Proficiency Requirements

Hello everyone. I've begun researching IR grad programs and have a question about the language requirements. It seems some schools require proficiency by enrollment and others only require it by graduation.

I am currently on a Fulbright in S.E. Asia-at the end of my grant I expect my language level to high beginner/lower intermediate. I really want to pursue this area further in graduate school and hope to find work here/continue studying the language.  However, I'm also fairly proficient in Spanish and lived in S. America so this would be easy to pass foreign language requirement. 

I don't plan on applying until 2015. I want to get more work experience as I'm straight out of undergrad. However, when I think of long term plans I wonder:

1. For schools that require proficiency by enrollment-is it possible to demonstrate this in one language but study another? Or do you just list as many languages as possible and levels on application and hope for the best?

2. Take GTown for example: If I said I spent a year or two in a S.E. Asian country and studied intensively on my own/with classes at respective embassy would this be sufficient? I did not study it in university so I have no transcript to show for it. Also, it's not a commonly studied language in the US. (Though offered in graduate programs I'm looking at!)

Any clarification is appreciated! 

2. Take GTown for example: If I said I spent a year or two in a S.E. Asian country and studied intensively on my own/with classes at respective embassy would this be sufficient? I did not study it in university so I have no transcript to show for it. Also, it's not a commonly studied language in the US. (Though offered in graduate programs I'm looking at!)

Any clarification is appreciated! 

Hi chantik,

I would think any school would want to access your skills in said language. I doubt they'd just take your word for it. That said, that's a question best asked of each school's admissions group.

Good luck with everything!

I agree, you will most likely have to take a proficiency test.  At GW if you had taken language classes within a certain number of years, you could automatically meet the language requirement.  In my case, my language classes had been too long ago, so I had to take the proficiency test.  The school itself only offered a limited number of languages that they could test, but they would also accept results from another outside testing company that had more options.

I should note that GW just requires proficiency by graduation.  I do not recall any programs that require proficiency before enrollment, though.