NSF GRFP 2013-14

guttata

While we're discussing the previous research essay:

the prompt says something about going through each research experience. Are people briefly summarizing each lab/job experience in a list or just going over the broad details in a paragraph or two? I have a list of each experience and 1-2 sentences describing each one; I'm worried if I switch to a general discussion of my past experiences I won't be able to explicitly hit each one (there are several).Wondering what others are doing.

Good luck to everyone, remember you don't need to be #1, just number #1,999 

You mean #2699.

Estimated Number of Awards: 2,700 new Fellowships will be offered pending availability of funds

The only references I included in my previous research essays were to my own presentations, posters and articles. They're pretty important because they show the reviewers that you have experience presenting your work to a wider audience and that your work has been accepted by the scientific community. To save space, each research experience had a sentence explaining what the work had gone into (e.g. "This work was accepted in publication venue1 and I spoke about it at conference2.") with superscripts to the reference. I had a single sentence at the end noting that all references were to the part of the application where you list your presentations and honors. This part of the application is a text box in fastlane outside of the essays.

It's great that you have a month to revise this essay. I suggest going through your previous research experiences to see what you can tighten up to make more room to drive home your broader impacts credentials and plans. When I was revising, I looked at each sentence or point and asked myself what message I was trying send, what prompt questions I was trying to address, and if I had done so elsewhere. I also considered if that particular message was important as others. I used the rubric that's part of Robin G. Walker's GRFP Essay Insights to help with this.

In my early drafts, I went into too much detail with my previous research experiences. I needed to simplify to fit all of my points. Exactly how I did it was not as important as that I had done it. I left enough information to show I had the background for my research proposal but it was mostly an abstract level summary which also spoke about how I had grown as a research who works with others, leads, presents, etc. I didn't include references to other works. I think that would be too much detail. It might vary by field of study though.

at the end of each experience, I did include a statement stating the broader impacts associated with that experience. I will try condensing more but I really feel like I can't take out much more. I also have a few paragraphs emphasizing my desire to teach. Is it worth it to have a reference for a to be submitted paper?

Most of my experiences did not result in a publication, presentation or anything of the sort.

at the end of each experience, I did include a statement stating the broader impacts associated with that experience. I will try condensing more but I really feel like I can't take out much more. I also have a few paragraphs emphasizing my desire to teach. Is it worth it to have a reference for a to be submitted paper?

Most of my experiences did not result in a publication, presentation or anything of the sort.

I think you could mention you are writing a paper. I mentioned one that is submitted and under review in my personal statement.

Also, I went back and revised my statement into two sections: Intelectual Merit and Broder Impacts. I think I like that organization.

Is it "for sure" at this point that the deadline will be pushed back?

If so, how long of an extension should be expect?

Has there been extensions in deadines before? 

Yes, there have been extensions of deadlines before.  The year I applied (2009?) they pushed back the deadline by a week, and that was without a government shut down.  I think it's pretty much guaranteed that they will push back the deadlines this year, as they don't have official access to the forms and application guidelines online right now (although there are some sites mirroring the NSF site - links here: http://www.nsfgrfp.org/).  But, of course, as the NSF's grants arm is shut down along with the rest of the government, it's not "for sure" yet - nothing is.  How much they will extend is impossible to tell right now because we don't know how long the shut down will last.

In my previous research statement, I selected the most representative research experiences that would fit in the 2-page essay and briefly summarized each within a paragraph.  I made sure to discuss 1) the broader impact of each research experience; 2) what I learned from each one, and how they prepared me to be a better scholar and researcher; and 3) how they all connected together into the semblance of a cohesive research agenda.

After working on this app, I realized that I need to strengthen my broader impacts areas. NSF has a huge emphasis on minority and women participation.

I'm thinking of doing some tutoring with a focus on these groups, but how do I go about seeking something like this?

I mean, wouldn't it sound weird for a guy to say "i want to tutor women only?" How do you guys suggest I go about helping to broaden participation in these underrepresented groups without sounding really awkward? 

After working on this app, I realized that I need to strengthen my broader impacts areas. NSF has a huge emphasis on minority and women participation.

I'm thinking of doing some tutoring with a focus on these groups, but how do I go about seeking something like this?

I mean, wouldn't it sound weird for a guy to say "i want to tutor women only?" How do you guys suggest I go about helping to broaden participation in these underrepresented groups without sounding really awkward? 

Honestly, I would point to juilletmercredi's response on a previous page that there is more to Broader Impacts than the "Broadening Participation" example. I don't think there's any way to go around specifically looking for minorities or women that won't seem awkward and obvious.  

Personally, I would try to find an activity to which I had a meaningful connection (either a research interest-based connection or personal connection), rather than specifically trying to work with underrepresented groups. If you are interested in tutoring, I think it would be better for you to find an underfunded school in need of science tutors or science fair organizers/presenters and work with any and all students that come to you.

For a general example, I was a student tutor at my high school (not in science specifically, just a general homework tutor for underclassmen) because my school was very large and isolating at times, and I wanted to be more involved. Yes, I did work with students from a variety of backgrounds, but that's because my city is very diverse, not because I specifically set out to work with minorities or young women.

My science-based outreach and other volunteer work in college did not have any emphasis on specific underrepresented groups, but it had meaningful and relevant connections to my research and personal interests, and that seemed to be enough for the NSF reviewers. 

Edited by Pitangus

ok, so im not sure if this really makes sense but here's my question. Im not yet in grad school but i was trying to design my proposal to make it fit with one of the labs that I would like to join for grad school. And for grad school I'd like to learn some new techniques and maybe do something a little different. But I also read that my proposal should be about something that im comfortable and familiar with. So, is it best write about something that im going to be working on or about something that i've been working on already?

Thanks,

About Broader Impacts:

1. Whatever you do for your broader impacts criteria should be something you would do regardless of whether or not you were applying for the NSF.  Don't go tutor women in science or poor rural math students just because you are applying for a grant.  Do it because you genuinely want to increase the number of poor rural students in pure mathematics or the number of women in science, because you think that those are important and valuable things.  What's important for the NSF application is not so much that you've done these things but that you're able to talk about why you've done them and why you think they are important.  "I think they're important because NSF wants me to do them to get this grant" is not going to cut it. 

That goes for anything that you do to satisfy your broader impacts criterion - whether it be promoting teaching and learning in science, enhancing the infrastructure for research and education, broadening scientific idea dissemination, or the impact of your research on society.

2. You can't start doing a Broader Impacts activity a few weeks before the NSF deadline and expect it to win you cookies. That comes across as quite obviously doing something for the purpose of winnng the grant, and not because you value the contribution that thing makes to the science.  They want people who are going to continue to think about the ways in which science (both their science and science in general) contributes to the wider world, and to take action to involve the wider world in science.  Again, they are giving you taxpayer money, so why should they is the question.

Here's what I think.  Think about what made you passionate about your science in the first place.  Why do you love what you do?  Now think about all the geeky stuff you've done in service to that passion.  Chances are at least some of that stuff fits the Broader Impacts criterion.  I judged the NYCSEF not (only) because I thought "I can do some great service and encourage high school students to enter and be passionate about science," but also "I get to see some really cool high school science fair projects, awesome!!"  Every serious science student I know has done something seriously geeky "for fun" that they didn't have to do but wanted to because SCIENCE.  Think about those.

panabtl - a little of both.  Your proposal should have a background and framework that is grounded in things you have already done/have some experience and knowledge in, but the proposal should also show that you want to learn new techniques and expand both your own knowledge and science in some way.

Need some advice...I need a general opinion where agricultural science proposals would go for the panel?  My proposal is looking at yield response to different fertility treatments in rice-maize systems in the developing world.  Its rather applied but I've been encouraged to apply by a number of professors...just trying to get an idea of which panel would be best. I'm thinking of switching the thing being looked at to soil organic matter as this is a bit more basic and possibly a better approach.

I have a question regarding GPA/grades: how can I offset retaking three classes in my personal statement? Two of these classes (Calc 3, Pchem) were from Cs, while I retook the third one (Ochem) to get from a B+ to an A. I know that other portions of my application such as my research experience, pubs, presentations, etc. will offset this, but I wanted to know if there was a way to effectively allay concerns in the statement, or if I should just keep mum on it.

Do we need to send our GRE scores again if we applied previously? (or am I getting this confused with another fellowship application)

Edited by Chande

Hello everyone,

I have 6 citations for my proposed research essay and they are taking up too much space! I noticed that some past winners have used an abbreviated version of the ACS (American Chemical Society i believe). Psychology is my discipline so I would like to know would this format be allowed? If not are there any abbreviated formats that would be permitted? Thank you all for your time.

Hello everyone,

I have 6 citations for my proposed research essay and they are taking up too much space! I noticed that some past winners have used an abbreviated version of the ACS (American Chemical Society i believe). Psychology is my discipline so I would like to know would this format be allowed? If not are there any abbreviated formats that would be permitted? Thank you all for your time.

Here's a sample of how I formatted my citations (Biology). Never received a negative comment about them and had VG - E on my IM scores.

Birds have wings1. Birds can fly2. Birds also eat worms3.

(Bottom of page, 10-pt font)

1. Smith. 1980. Anim. Behav. 32: 20-9. 2. Smith and Jones. 1983. Science 2: 324-34. 3. Jones et al. 1978. Nature 34: 3-13.

agreed, no one cares but it would be worth it to work on cutting down your proposal and keeping your points as straightforward as possible.  Even at 10pt my 8 citations fit a little less than half of my second page but I chose not to reduce citations.

Is it common to have that many citations?  Just a honest question.  I only have a few, but in general I tried to use citations only when I was making a specific claim where it's obvious its not my info.  Is that okay or do I need to put more supporting citations?  

I just noticed that there is a separate box for keywords and title. Has there been there on previous applications?

I am asking because I see previous applications having a keywords and title in their word doc, but I'm not sure if they put it in both places or if the boxes were not present in preivous years. 

Box for title and keywords are always on the application. That's my justification for not including keywords or a title on the proposal itself as they're just space-eaters.

Exactly why I was wondering. All the successful apps I've seen seemed to have it in their actual proposal. Idk if it's beneficial or not. THe problem is I'm struggling to fit in the allotted space and removing keywords and title could save me 3 lines or so.