Stanford GSE

phil413

Hi all!

I'm looking to apply to several Master's programs in Education, but am surprised to see relatively little comments on Stanford GSE, especially their Master programs. Can anyone tell me more about the following, including the strength of the program relative to similar programs in other schools? Thank you!

1) Learning, Design and Technology

2) Policy, Org, and Leadership Studies

3) International Comparative Education 

I have seen comments here and there on their PhD counterparts, but does anyone know much about the Master's or is it fairly similar? 

Some other questions I have are:

- How much work experience in the field is necessary to be a successful candidate or student in the program?

- Strength of faculty

- Are the programs more geared towards certain career paths than other similiar programs in the field?

- If any past applicants are willing to share experience/background/stories, that would also be great 

Thank you for any and all insights any could provide on the above programs, or Stanford GSE in general  :) !

:)  Please help! - Doesn't seem like there are many interested in / have experience with Stanford GSE? I would appreciate any and all sorts of conversation!

Sent you a private message!

It's definitely curious that this thread has generated so little traffic.

My only thought is that it might be an artifact of Stanford GSE's small size -- it's the only top 10 Ed school with an enrollment under 500, and one of only four in the top 25.

Anyway, just a thought!

Although not directly addressing your question, I can tell you about POLS application:
The application for POLS is quite different than other competitive Masters applications. There are specific questions separately given in the whole process. They ask you about POLS project, research interests, your past projects etc very separately (i.e. you can not expect a single essay or SOP to do it all). I am sorry I do not remember the exact questions and answer length, but can tell you this much. Also, the answer length varies from 150 to 300 words.

Gd lk!

PS- POLS was not my primary focus, didn't go for that, so didn't get-in either :P

Edited by thelastgoal

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Bumping this up. I think results for the Masters programs are out next week (if Results history is a good guide), and yet all is quiet on the Stanford front. Maybe the fear of rejection is keeping us at bay?

Bumping this up. I think results for the Masters programs are out next week (if Results history is a good guide), and yet all is quiet on the Stanford front. Maybe the fear of rejection is keeping us at bay?

Probably because freaking out together doesn't make things any better :).

i think the doctoral students heard back from Stanford and they seem to mostly be rejections...

Also, NoChance, when did you submit Penn's application and when did you hear back? Congrats on that!

Probably because freaking out together doesn't make things any better :).

i think the doctoral students heard back from Stanford and they seem to mostly be rejections...

Also, NoChance, when did you submit Penn's application and when did you hear back? Congrats on that!

What do you mean? I thought 90% of the purpose of these forums was to freak out together. Solidarity! And Stanford seems to be mostly rejections, which I guess makes sense considering how small it is.

And thanks! I submitted my Penn app on December 15. One whole freakin' month later I get an email say it's complete and then another month later I get an email telling me to check (along with $ info). It's all a part of the roller coaster, I guess. :)

It looks like some people got accepted to STEP yesterday! I'm not sure on other Stanford GSE programs though.

That's a good sign. My stalking of historical records shows that the other GSE masters programs are sure to follow. My bet is Wednesday.

What do you mean? I thought 90% of the purpose of these forums was to freak out together. Solidarity! And Stanford seems to be mostly rejections, which I guess makes sense considering how small it is.

And thanks! I submitted my Penn app on December 15. One whole freakin' month later I get an email say it's complete and then another month later I get an email telling me to check (along with $ info). It's all a part of the roller coaster, I guess. :)

That's a good sign. My stalking of historical records shows that the other GSE masters programs are sure to follow. My bet is Wednesday.

By "Solidarity!" I think you mean "Synergy!-of-fear-and-anticipation-and-anxiety-all-feeding-off-each-other!" 

But I suppose. I suppose it helps.

Have any of you heard about this? 

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/class-struggle/2009/07/they_messed_with_the_wrong_blo.html

I'm really excited about STEP, and I'm fairly passionate about teaching for social justice, but I can't help but feel a little apprehensive after hearing Michele Kerr's story. I know nothing about FIRE (the nonprofit which defended her). For all I know they're a bit loopy, and so is this student. But it seems like an odd series of events, especially for a university that should be encouraging open discussion?...

Are there any current/former STEP students out there who can talk a bit about how their experiences were? Was their practical, tangible, and useful instruction? Or simply ideological lecturing? Will I leave feeling prepared, or simply brainwashed?

I have similar concerns regarding UCLA's TEP program...

Edited by omnomnam

Have any of you heard about this? 

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/class-struggle/2009/07/they_messed_with_the_wrong_blo.html

I'm really excited about STEP, and I'm fairly passionate about teaching for social justice, but I can't help but feel a little apprehensive after hearing Michele Kerr's story. I know nothing about FIRE (the nonprofit which defended her). For all I know they're a bit loopy, and so is this student. But it seems like an odd series of events, especially for a university that should be encouraging open discussion?...

Are there any current/former STEP students out there who can talk a bit about how their experiences were? Was their practical, tangible, and useful instruction? Or simply ideological lecturing? Will I leave feeling prepared, or simply brainwashed?

I have similar concerns regarding UCLA's TEP program...

That is concerning. What were her views, and what are Stanford GSE's views, that are so misaligned?

And for those who have been accepted, about what time of day (Pacific Standard Time) did you get the call?

Got my acceptance today at 10:30am PST by email.  I think I was a special case since I'm currently living overseas.  Looks like everyone else that's been accepted so far got phone calls.