Canadian 2014 SLP

Hello from Nova Scotia!

I am applying to SLP for the second time for next September. I have been looking for a forum for Canadian schools for 2014, but I haven't found on yet. I have spent too many hours lurking on the ones from the past years haha. It has been so nice to get information and advice and I'd love to connect with some SLP hopefuls for 2014!  I am applying to Dalhousie.

Hi there! I am also applying for the second time this Fall to Audiology. Where did you apply last year? I applied to UBC, Dalhousie and UWO. I was rejected at Dalhousie and UWO and waitlisted at UBC...I'm hoping that I will get into UBC this time around. How are you working to improve your application? I don't have the highest GPA so I am taking two classes this fall, as well as volunteering more. Good luck!

Hi DeafAudi,

Last year I applied only to Dal. My original plan was to also apply to U of T and McGill, but I decided to focus on Dal and spend the time writing an honours thesis and boasting my gpa rather than taking the pre-reqs required for the other schools. I am 28 and my poor hubby has been supporting me as I have been doing the school thing later in life haha! So I'm going to try again this year and I am also going to apply to OT and Social Work as a back up plan. I'm hoping for the best and I'm going to keep working my butt of to raise my average as I think that's my biggest barrier! I plan to re-take the GRE too.

My current GPA is about 3.5 (4.3 scale) and I'm hoping to bring it to 3.6 or 3.7 Although I know that many applicants have higher! I am hoping that my work, travel and volunteer experience will make up for my low gpa. I have been volunteering with an SLP and Audi team for about a year now and I'm going to continue and try to get more experience working directly with clients. This summer I have been working as a job coach for adults and older teens with Autism which has taught me a lot and I think I will write about it in my letter of intent. I have some volunteer experience from the past 5 years - tutoring in a literacy program and teaching English in China, I spent 6 months in Kenya volunteering and I also worked with children with special needs in child care. I'm trying to decide if I should take up another volunteer position this fall or if I should just focus on my courses!  

Anyway, how about you? What kind of volunteering are you planning on doing?

Good luck with UBC!

Edited by 2014 Appy

HI!

Wow, I think that you have a really good chance of getting in this year to SLP; you have much more volunteer/work experience than many people I have seen get into the program. Although you have an average GPA, sometimes experience really offsets this. Your experience in Kenya is especially interesting :). Would you be willing to apply to any of the other schools in Canada? Do you know how competitive Dal is?

I also have a low to average GPA: 3.1 overall and 3.4 in my last 60 credits (on a 4.0 scale). I am interested in Audiology because I am a bilateral CI recipient who has been through multiple surgeries. For volunteering, I volunteered at a local preschool program for Deaf and hard of hearing children, at a local hospital doing research work and helping with the clients and other non-related positions. I also received two grant-funded student research assistantships through my university, both of which focused on CI research. I also sit on two boards, one for the school for the Deaf here and the other for a national organization for hearing loss. I haven't actually been doing much volunteering for the past year but I am going to start again this Fall. I will also be taking one or two additional classes in Linguistics to boost my GPA/improve my prerequisites. I hope that will be enough. Honestly, if I were you I would focus on my classes because I think your volunteer experience is amazing!

Keep in touch and we will stress together come January, LOL!

Hey!

Thanks! That's encourging. I'm pretty sure I am going to stick with just Dal, but I may consider some Ontario schools if the pre-reqs can work out. I think that your research experiences sound awesome! That will look good on your Dalhousie app - I have heard it is something they look for. As far as competetiveness, Dal received over 300 application last year and only 36 were admitted for SLP and Audi combined, and I think there are 8-10 Audi spots.  I have heard that most people who get into Dal have applied at least once before or have been on the waitlist in the past so that fact that you are trying again is good :)

A good friend of mine who is hearing impared was accepted into Dal Audi for September and her GPA was pretty average. The fact that you are a bilateral CI recipient as well makes you unique because you would have a much deeper understanding and empathy for your clients!  I would love to hear more about your expereince with a CI. I think that your volunteer expereince will help too. Most programs look for people with diverse backgrounds, so I think if you have one more volunteering experience, it will definatly be enough!

GRE - From what I have heard, it is good if you at score a least above the 50th percentile and anything higher is a bonus. I did terrible my first try! I just purchased the Magoosh software which looks like it will help a lot. I hope so! I don't think it is one of the main determining factors for Dal, but they definatly look at how your scores compare to other applicants. I think this time, I am going to study for all of it, but put more focus on the verbal and essay sections.

Edited by 2014 Appy

2014 Appy, on 23 Aug 2013 - 3:57 PM, said:

Hi Sweaterweather,

Yes, I am only applying to Dalhousie - hoping for the best! I just scheduled a day to re-take the GRE. Yuck! Taking a few more course to boast my GPA too. What other schools are you applyng to? Good luck!

By the way, I started a new forum for Canadain students here:  one is so long and does not seem to be as active anymore, so we can have our own for 2014!

2014 Appy, I'm continuing the convo on this thread here.  :)

Good luck on writing the GRE! I have been studying for the GRE on-and-off this summer, but I can't decide if re-writing it is worth it. Argh, I better get that figured out soon. I'm planning to apply to Dalhousie, U of T, UWO, and re-apply to the U of A.

Edited by sweaterweather

2014 Appy, I'm continuing the convo on this thread here.  :)

Good luck on writing the GRE! I have been studying for the GRE on-and-off this summer, but I can't decide if re-writing it is worth it. Argh, I better get that figured out soon. I'm planning to apply to Dalhousie, U of T, UWO, and re-apply to the U of A.

Hey Sweaterweather,

That's good that you are applying to several schools. Which one are you hoping for the most? My GRE is schduled for the end of November, so I'm trying to set a regular study schedule, but it's so hard to get motivated for a test that basically just measures your ability to take the test rather than your actual knowledge! I found some good flash cards for vocab, so I'm trying to study those whenever I have free time.

Hello!

I will also be applying to SLP graduate programs this fall. I'm aiming for UBC, but I will go wherever I am accepted! Haha, I will be casting a fairly wide net as I'm not very confident in my GPA. I'm hoping that the schools will really only look at the last two years as I don't think my cGPA will raise all that much this far into my academic career! (I think an A raised it by 0.01 =='')

Anyway, I've still got to take a few prerequisites, the GRE, and I need to job shadow an audiologist. So much to do! Applications will be opening soon, and I'm already nervous!!

Hi xjmi,

From what i have heard most schools look mostly at your last 2 years, so I wouldn't worry too much about your cumulative. That is great that you are job shadowing with an Audi. I would try to get a reference from her/him. I think this semester I am going to try and get more refrences from the Clinicians too. Last time I just got the 2 acedemic and 1 volunteer and I regret not trying to get more.. I'm pretty sure thereis no limit for most schools.

Good luck!

Hello!

Don't worry about being older, I am also 28 (I turn 29 next week), and I'm applying for Speech-Language Pathology also.  I applied last year to Dalhousie, McGill, UofT, and Western, and got waitlisted at Dalhousie, and rejected from McGill, UofT, and Western.  I applied again this past application cycle, and got the same result.  And I am going to apply again this year, and hopefully, third time is a charm!

It's funny that you (2014 Appy) mentioned applying for Social Work and OT, because I'm doing the same thing, along with a couple of PT programs also!  It's kind of nice to know I'm not the only one doing this.

I have been actively trying to improve my application since the last round of rejections in April - I've been volunteering at the local Literacy Council, and volunteering with a Speech Assistant locally.  I would really like to volunteer with the SLP there, but she is actually from a town about an hour away, and only comes to town periodically to check in on her Speech Assistant, so I have less opportunities to shadow her, which is a bit frustrating.  I also have qualifications as a Communicative Disorders Assistant (aka a speech assistant), and I've been working with a private client who has Down syndrome for the past few years with a different SLP who lives even further away than the other SLP - she lives 2 hours away.  Most of our SLPs are from out of town here - they're in high demand in this area because nobody wants to live/work in Northern Ontario.

Anyway, I'm going to go visit the Ontario schools in October (including the schools for OT and PT), and possibly McGill also to talk about the programs and tour the facilities, etc.  I tried contacting certain professors in the field I'm interested in to see if they would meet with me to discuss my application, etc., but they are giving me the run-around and directing me to the graduate assistant.  This is very frustrating and discouraging, but I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet, meet these people, and see what happens from there.  Has anyone else tried this and if so, have you had any luck?

Hi Trejsi,

Wow, what a coincidence! I thought I was the only one applying to all of those programs too. For me, the positions have a lot of similarities as they often collaborate when they have shared clients and they are often focused on working one on one with families and clients, acting as a support/coach while helping people meet their goals and break barriers! I am so passionate abou tworking with people and I really hope I get into one of these programs. I agree that the whole process can be so discourging! There seems to be so much focus on GPAs, which I think is silly since interpersonal intellignce such as personailty and people skills as well as expereince are so important in these professions!

I have also tried to get in touch with OT departments and have been given the run-around. I am going to try and set up a meeting in the next few weeks though. I think you should just keep calling them until they give youa meeting lol! It will show that you are motivated and want to do whatever you can to prepare.I was successful inmeeting with Dal for Speech. They were really friendly and willing to meet.

• 2 weeks later...

I definitely agree that all of those professions have similarities, and they certainly collaborate often.

I have contacted the Deans of the departments, and they don't want to meet with me. I guess they don't want to give special treatment to certain students, which I can understand, but it is really quite frustrating.  However, I'm going to go to the information sessions and glean as much as I can from them.

I have yet to contact Dal, but after I got the news that I was waitlisted, I asked if I would be able to meet with someone to discuss how to improve my application for next year, and they seemed very enthusiastic about doing that, but they told me to wait until September because there was still a chance of getting in.  I won't be able to travel there, but I'm hoping I'll be able to talk to someone via telephone or email.

I definitely agree that GPAs are too big of a focus for the programs.  A GPA does not a good practitioner make!  I've worked really hard on improving my resume part of my application, with more relevant experience, as some of that was getting outdated.  I am also going to meet with some of my academic referees and talk to them in person, which I hope will give them a reminder of how motivated I am and what I am like, since I have been out of school for so long.  It's difficult, because some of the schools want you to have academic references.  However, I have been out of the traditional university setting for over 5 years, but I have taken 2 online courses in the meantime, so I don't technically fall under the definition of a student who has been out of school for over 5 years.  Very frustrating!

Good luck with writing the GRE test!  That part is definitely a bit stressful, particularly because you're trying to get your applications completed at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I am really happy that I found this thread about applying to SLP and Audiology in Canada. I am currently a Master student in molecular biology research, and hoping to graduate real soon (before the end of the year), and I have just decided recently that I want to study audiology next, but I probably will be applying next September because I still have a few pre-requisite courses to take.

I just have a question about how everybody found their SLP/audiologist to do their volunteer work? When I was in undergrad, I basically emailed (spammed more likely) a lot of investigators asking whether they wanted to take volunteer students, but I wonder if this is actually a good way to find practising professionals? I would really appreciate it if anybody could share their experience with me.

Thanks a lot,

xanc

Hi all,

I am really happy that I found this thread about applying to SLP and Audiology in Canada. I am currently a Master student in molecular biology research, and hoping to graduate real soon (before the end of the year), and I have just decided recently that I want to study audiology next, but I probably will be applying next September because I still have a few pre-requisite courses to take.

I just have a question about how everybody found their SLP/audiologist to do their volunteer work? When I was in undergrad, I basically emailed (spammed more likely) a lot of investigators asking whether they wanted to take volunteer students, but I wonder if this is actually a good way to find practising professionals? I would really appreciate it if anybody could share their experience with me.

Thanks a lot,

xanc

Hi Xanc,

I sent a sort-of cover letter to a bunch of SLPs in my area who had their e-mails listed online. I basically asked for the oppertunity to shadow them or observe and help out with material prep or anything they needed. I also asked if, they did not need a volunteer, if I could meet with them for coffee to talk about how they became an SLP. I found a directory for SLPs in my city and heard back from a private SLP right away and spent some time observing her sessions. In Nova Scotia we have a provincical Hearing and Speech dept (NSHSC). They take volunteers regualrly, but it took time for me to get in. I sent my letter out in Feburary of last year and heard from them in August! So I guess it depends on if they already have a volunteer or f they are inerning SLP/ Audi students. For me, even thoguh I had to wait a while to get to volunteer at the NSHSC it worked out great. I have been volunteering there a year now. There is one main SLP I work with, but the clinc has about 10 SLPs and 5 Audis and I have had the chance to get to know many of them and observe their sessions. I'd reccomend getting into a clinic if you can.

If you don't hear back from SLP/Audis myou have contacted then you should drop in and let them know you are interested in helping out. Good luck!

Hi everyone, I am also applying to speech for fall 2014. I'm hoping for dal or maine. I also want to apply to some ontario schools and I've been trying to contact UofT but I haven't gotten any replies of them. Is anyone else having difficulty getting a reply from them?

Edited by Firefly218

Audie: I will be there for the information session!  Driving 9 hours to be there! :)  I'm spending my vacation days to be there and to be at the UofT SLP information session also.  Hopefully it will be worth my while.

Firefly218: I did not have much difficulty getting email replies back from the people at UofT.  Did you ever hear back from them?  However, their replies weren't always the most helpful.

Hi everyone,

Well, I am planning on applying to U of T and some American schools. I have a very low GPA.   I am 30 and i need to get a career.  I do have a lot of work related experiences, but i never really did well in school.  I hoping that my experiences will help, but for what i have heard, it is only GPA that matters.  I will have to try and see.

Just curious if anyone has looked into going to school in Australia? For my program, it would be twice as long to go to school in the States (4 years). It would be expensive and a big change but I'm willing to do anything to work in this field!

How low is your GPA, if you don't mind me asking? That is good that you are applying to a broad range of schools; I have heard that Canada can be more GPA orientated than the States, while the States also looks at other aspects of your application, like experience. That said, I don't have a high GPA either but I was waitlisted at UBC last year and was told that my experience helped. 

Hi everyone,

Well, I am planning on applying to U of T and some American schools. I have a very low GPA.   I am 30 and i need to get a career.  I do have a lot of work related experiences, but i never really did well in school.  I hoping that my experiences will help, but for what i have heard, it is only GPA that matters.  I will have to try and see.

Edited by DeafAudi

Just curious if anyone has looked into going to school in Australia? For my program, it would be twice as long to go to school in the States (4 years). It would be expensive and a big change but I'm willing to do anything to work in this field!

Hi DeafAudi,

not sure if you've checked out this website: http://www.oztrekk.com/programs/audiology/PG/overview.php

I have emailed the people working in this agency and they're very friendly - usually gets back to you within an hour!

xanc

Hi xanc,

Thank you for your reply. I actually have been in touch with OzTrekk and they are wonderful! I will certainly be applying through them for January 2015 if  I don't get accepted to a Canadian school this year. Are you also applying?

Hi xanc,

Thank you for your reply. I actually have been in touch with OzTrekk and they are wonderful! I will certainly be applying through them for January 2015 if  I don't get accepted to a Canadian school this year. Are you also applying?

Hi DeafAudi,

I most likely will. I just decided that I wanted to become an audiologist very recently (about two months ago) and wasn't even thinking of applying to schools outside of Canada, until I talked to someone who's from Canada, graduated from U of Melbourne and is now practicing in Australia. She has really enjoyed her experience in Australia and recommended the website to me.

The admission requirements for applying to the Australian programs are not as numerous as the UWO program, so I think it is a missed opportunity if I don't apply to the Australian schools while applying to canadian schools as well. Sadly I didn't find out about the Australian programs soon enough that I missed their application deadline for the 2014 intake. However, I think it's a good thing as well because my application would have been very weak when I have never done any courses related to audiology, nor volunteeredwith/shadowed an audiologist. Now that I am aiming to apply to Western for the 2015 entrance, I will be taking psych courses that are required for admission, as well as looking to do the clinical volunteer placement with an audiologist, all are things that are not required, but will help with my application for the Australian program.

xanc

Edited by xanc

I wasn't even aware of the Australia program until recently. Have you looked into applying to American schools? I did consider it last year but have since decided that it is simply too long for me. I am already 25 and want to get started already. I hope this won't come back and bite me in the ass later because I heard that there is a possibility for Canadian requirements to change to an Au.D. rather than masters, although that won't be for several years, if ever. 

Also, just curious what made you decide on audiology? I have always been familiar with the field, being a bilateral CI recipient. 

Good luck with your applications and it is so nice "meeting" another fellow prospective Audiology applicant! 

Edited by DeafAudi

He DeafAudi,

My GPA is 3.0.  Most of the schools i am applying in the States don't even ask for a resume, so i am wondering how they take experience into consideration.  If UBC waitlisted you and was told that your experience helped then why didn't they accept you?  Did they tell you what else you can do to get accepted?