Canadian 2014 SLP

Hi Asemooooo,

My GPA isn't much higher than yours so I think that you have a chance. Did you show an upward trend in your last two years? 

UBC told me that it was essentially my GPA that did not get me accepted. It was a more competitive year than usual and most of the accepted applicants had very high GPAs, with an average of 90%. They suggested that I keep showing my commitment to Audiology by volunteering and researching and possibly working in the field. I wasn't really sure how to take this, as they had pretty much told me that my GPA was too low, so I decided to take two classes this fall (upper level courses of Audiology prerequisites) while also volunteering and publishing a paper with one of my mentors. 

As for your question of experience, I really addressed my personal, volunteer, and research experience in my letter of intent. I would suggest that you do the same. I am also considering possibly addressing my lower GPA in the letter. 

Is your degree from an American or Canadian school? Also, I have heard that mature applicants often have an easier time getting into graduate school because graduate schools do value experience. 

Edited by DeafAudi

Hi DeafAudi,

I did show an upward trend in the last two years, with majority of my courses being repeated, and still i was not able to get all A's.  I was thinking about applying to UBC, but i am actually sure that my GPA will not be good at all, so i decided not to

Yes, i am addressing my experiences in my letter seeing that there is no other way as well as the low GPA

My degree is from a Canadian school.  Yes, i have heard that too about mature applicants having an easier time getting into grad school, but i am sure that they will not accept people with low GPA's either.  Hopefully this is your year to get in.  It is my first time actually attempting to apply because i have been contemplating on whether or not they will even bother looking at my application at all.  I decided to give it a try.

Yes, give it a try for sure! And if you don't get in, apply again. How relevant is your experience to SLP? 

Most schools look at your last two years rather than your cumulative GPA. In your letter of intent, you can state that you did not do well in your first couple years but did show an upward trend and will carry this on to graduate school. Then you can talk about your experience. I think I will be doing something similar.

Also, when I was researching American schools, I noticed that many schools had in their requirements that they required a 3.0 GPA but were "willing to consider a 2.8-2.9 GPA from Canadian applicants". Syracuse University is one that I can think of from the top of my head. 

Good luck!

Hi trejsi,

If you don't mind me asking.  What is your GPA?  And what was your undergrad in?  Because i have the CDA certificate as well, but i don't have  a high GPA.  I am 30 years old.  I have been debating whether to apply or not because of my GPA. But if you have applied that many times and didn't get in then that has always been my fear.  And also because i think i have the same sort of application  experience as you.

Hi DeafAudi,

My SLP experience is pretty good.  I worked as a communicative Disorders Assistant for 3 years.  I have lots of volunteer experiences in the filed, and i work in a group home with adults with developmental disabilities.  I am currently repeating more course to help my application as well.

Yes, i saw the Syracuse one regarding the low GPA, however, i am applying to schools that do not require the GRE becasue i really do not do well on test

Hi Asemoooooooo,

My cumulative GPA is 3.0, but my GPA for the last 2 years is 3.65, which is what all of the schools I am applying to say they look at.  I have also heard (but don't know if it's true) that having a CDA diploma doesn't boost your application very much, so it's good to have other volunteer/work/research experience also.

I hope this helps you!

Hi trejsi,

Thanks, this helps.  I just wanted to know if i should still apply.  You do have a higher GPA for the last 2 years than i do,  What is your undergrad in if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks trejsi,

Mine is in Linguistics as well sort of.  My school had Linguistic and speech in the Linguistics department.  So, i did linguistics course as well, but my degree is Speech and Language sciences

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all,

I found this thread and am trying to pay it forward. When I applied for fall 2013 entry I was talking to current students in our thread and I found it so hopeful! I am currently at UoT for my Master's in SLP (loving it)! I applied to Western and UoT and was luckily accepted into both. Good luck to all of this year's applicants. Private message me if you have any questions and I will try my best to check in every so often :)

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, so it's Decemeber already! How is everyone doing with preparations? I have been gathering up my reference letters and I am taking the GRE (for the second time) in about 3 weeks. Ugh, I am not looking forward to it. I hope to finish up my letter of intent before Christmas and then send everything off except for my transcript from this semester, which will be ready after the break. I am excited but soooo nervous! Would anyone like to discuss letter of intent topics? I would definatly be interested in swapping letters of intent with others to give each other advice as some of you were talking about in previous posts!  

You're retaking the GRE in 3 weeks too? Me too! But...I am just starting studying now :(. I was insanely busy this semester and just wrote my last final today. I am also hoping to have most of my application done by the end of December! This is my second time applying so I already have a solid letter of intent to work with. It's nice finding someone who is sort of in the same boat :)

I am applying at UBC, Toronto, McGill and Western Ontario but my prioroty is UBC since I live in Vancouver.

I have 100+ hours of volunteer work with SLPs, both with children and adults, and both education and medically based environments. I also have worked with the chief SLP in the Philippines at a speech clinic when I went there this Summer as well. My references are good and I think I have written a great Statement of Intent.

I only applied to UBC last year during my final year in undergrad.. but I didnt get in. The admission committee told me this was because of my academic grades for the prerequisite courses. Therefore, I boosted my GPA in my last year of undergrad to a  3.9 (which is 83.8%) but a 75% on my last 2 years. Im so worried because my grades for the prerequisite courses are still not good. They do not recommend re-taking the said courses because they said it will actually not higher my chances of getting accepted. Most linguistic courses are in the A range, but im afraid that my Statistics class is a C+ and one of my Anatomy Class is also a C. What is your opinion on this? Do all the schools actually look at the prerequisite course grades rather than the GPA?

Thanks so much!!

asemoooo, do you think they would go over your application still even if not all the prerequisites are in the B+ range? ie. read the statement of intent, resume, and letters of recommendation?

Hi Asemoooooo,

I'm not sure where you heard that from but for Audiology (at UBC) I was told that all of my prerequisites do NOT have to be B+ and above. I inquired about my physics and neuroanatomy grades and was told that they are willing to over look "harder" classes, even in a C range. Of course, B+ and above would be great and are preferred! 

ETA: Sorry, I misread and didn't realize that you were talking about U of T.

Edited by DeafAudi

Ineg, I am not sure.  I asked a couple of past U of T students and present students whether or not they all had B+ and above in all their prereqs.  They all said yes.  I also heard that U of T has a GPA cut off range.  Last year the cut off was 3.7 and anyone who did not make the cut their application was not even looked at.  I also message SLPhopeful2013 wrote message here that we can ask questions.

This was the response:

Hi there,

Yes they were. Unfortunately Toronto is pretty picky about marks (50% of the decision). I would recommend taking some "easier courses" to boost your sGPA and cGPA. Don't be discouraged though, think positive and try your best!

So, basically i am not sure if i should still consider apply.

Another friend mentioned that U of T seem to look at applications on an individual basis, so i should not hesitate to apply.  She was a mature student and i am as well.  So she still thinks i should apply.  But, i really do not want to waste money and apply plus i would hate to be rejected if you know what i mean.

Hi asemoooo (dont know how many o's there is haha), 

Im just so confused because my sGPA is a 3.9, but my 2 of my  prerequisite courses are in the C range, while the rest are in As and Bs. I don't know how they will determine if I should be accepted or not, but I'm still applying just in case! I don't know if UWO is as strict as UoT though.

Ineg,  Yes, i think you should still apply because really it is hear and say and we don't really know what they are looking for. Regarding UWO, one of my profs from my undergrad institution is a graduate prof at at UWO as well.   She mentioned that they have a GPA cut off as well where they will not even look at the pile of applications that don't make the GPA for the application year.  

Hey guys! 

I just read all your posts, I am presently doing my degree at University of Ottawa...I can't speak for U of T/UBC etc. but one of my former profs was on the board for SLP applications at McGill and she basically told me straight up everyone that does not pass their "suggested GPA mark" gets scrapped 1st round (basically they say 3.0/4.0 overall GPA....if you have a 2.9 it gets scrapped!!! Even though it is really close!! So I suggest that you find someone who knows what the real deal is at the school you want to apply to, to make sure that you even have a chance!! 

ps - don't want to discourage people who have an epic application and a 2.9, but just want to save some from the time and hassle! Or make sure you figure out a way to be sure that you get around that!!!