Canadian 2014 SLP

I am applying at UBC, Toronto, McGill and Western Ontario but my prioroty is UBC since I live in Vancouver.

I have 100+ hours of volunteer work with SLPs, both with children and adults, and both education and medically based environments. I also have worked with the chief SLP in the Philippines at a speech clinic when I went there this Summer as well. My references are good and I think I have written a great Statement of Intent.

I only applied to UBC last year during my final year in undergrad.. but I didnt get in. The admission committee told me this was because of my academic grades for the prerequisite courses. Therefore, I boosted my GPA in my last year of undergrad to a  3.9 (which is 83.8%) but a 75% on my last 2 years. Im so worried because my grades for the prerequisite courses are still not good. They do not recommend re-taking the said courses because they said it will actually not higher my chances of getting accepted. Most linguistic courses are in the A range, but im afraid that my Statistics class is a C+ and one of my Anatomy Class is also a C. What is your opinion on this? Do all the schools actually look at the prerequisite course grades rather than the GPA?

Thanks so much!!

Hi!

I know that UofT for sure wants a B+ or above in all the pre-requisite courses (they told me this numerous times because I had the same issue before), but they also said they don't care if you re-take a course as long as you submit a grade of B+ or higher for each pre-requisite. I don't think it matters much for the other schools, Western didn't seem too picky about it and I'm not sure about the other schools since I didn't apply there. 

Hi Asemoooooooo,

My cumulative GPA is 3.0, but my GPA for the last 2 years is 3.65, which is what all of the schools I am applying to say they look at.  I have also heard (but don't know if it's true) that having a CDA diploma doesn't boost your application very much, so it's good to have other volunteer/work/research experience also.

I hope this helps you!

Hi Trejsi,

I've read your posts and was wondering if this was the GPA you had when you applied initially or did you work on your grades in addition to improving your resume since first applying? I'm in a similar situation GPA-wise and am of course trying to guess about my chances.

Thanks for your help.

You're retaking the GRE in 3 weeks too? Me too! But...I am just starting studying now :(. I was insanely busy this semester and just wrote my last final today. I am also hoping to have most of my application done by the end of December! This is my second time applying so I already have a solid letter of intent to work with. It's nice finding someone who is sort of in the same boat :)

Hy Deaf Audi, hope your finals went well! I juts finsihed my last one. How's the GRE studying going? I write on Monday next week! I feel like I have a better handle on the math this time and I know more vocab, but there are just so many words to try and remember. Guh. I am most worried about the writing section as I hate time constrainst, but someone reccomend that I write a couple practice essays and time myslef to see what I am spending the most time. I think I willtry to work on that for therest of this week.

Thanks to VirginiaRunning Girl and those who are up for SOP swaping. I am hoping to finishing working on mine over Christmas and I will pm you. Feel free to send me a message if anyone else wants to swap. It's so nice to have this forum to help each other out!

Hey, is anyone applying to Dalhousie? It seems like  most people are applying to Central and Western Schools.

Edited by 2014 Appy

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

Don't worry about being older, I am also 28 (I turn 29 next week), and I'm applying for Speech-Language Pathology also.  I applied last year to Dalhousie, McGill, UofT, and Western, and got waitlisted at Dalhousie, and rejected from McGill, UofT, and Western.  I applied again this past application cycle, and got the same result.  And I am going to apply again this year, and hopefully, third time is a charm!

It's funny that you (2014 Appy) mentioned applying for Social Work and OT, because I'm doing the same thing, along with a couple of PT programs also!  It's kind of nice to know I'm not the only one doing this.

I have been actively trying to improve my application since the last round of rejections in April - I've been volunteering at the local Literacy Council, and volunteering with a Speech Assistant locally.  I would really like to volunteer with the SLP there, but she is actually from a town about an hour away, and only comes to town periodically to check in on her Speech Assistant, so I have less opportunities to shadow her, which is a bit frustrating.  I also have qualifications as a Communicative Disorders Assistant (aka a speech assistant), and I've been working with a private client who has Down syndrome for the past few years with a different SLP who lives even further away than the other SLP - she lives 2 hours away.  Most of our SLPs are from out of town here - they're in high demand in this area because nobody wants to live/work in Northern Ontario.

Anyway, I'm going to go visit the Ontario schools in October (including the schools for OT and PT), and possibly McGill also to talk about the programs and tour the facilities, etc.  I tried contacting certain professors in the field I'm interested in to see if they would meet with me to discuss my application, etc., but they are giving me the run-around and directing me to the graduate assistant.  This is very frustrating and discouraging, but I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet, meet these people, and see what happens from there.  Has anyone else tried this and if so, have you had any luck?

Hello!

Don't worry about being older, I am also 28 (I turn 29 next week), and I'm applying for Speech-Language Pathology also.  I applied last year to Dalhousie, McGill, UofT, and Western, and got waitlisted at Dalhousie, and rejected from McGill, UofT, and Western.  I applied again this past application cycle, and got the same result.  And I am going to apply again this year, and hopefully, third time is a charm!

It's funny that you (2014 Appy) mentioned applying for Social Work and OT, because I'm doing the same thing, along with a couple of PT programs also!  It's kind of nice to know I'm not the only one doing this.

I have been actively trying to improve my application since the last round of rejections in April - I've been volunteering at the local Literacy Council, and volunteering with a Speech Assistant locally.  I would really like to volunteer with the SLP there, but she is actually from a town about an hour away, and only comes to town periodically to check in on her Speech Assistant, so I have less opportunities to shadow her, which is a bit frustrating.  I also have qualifications as a Communicative Disorders Assistant (aka a speech assistant), and I've been working with a private client who has Down syndrome for the past few years with a different SLP who lives even further away than the other SLP - she lives 2 hours away.  Most of our SLPs are from out of town here - they're in high demand in this area because nobody wants to live/work in Northern Ontario.

Anyway, I'm going to go visit the Ontario schools in October (including the schools for OT and PT), and possibly McGill also to talk about the programs and tour the facilities, etc.  I tried contacting certain professors in the field I'm interested in to see if they would meet with me to discuss my application, etc., but they are giving me the run-around and directing me to the graduate assistant.  This is very frustrating and discouraging, but I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet, meet these people, and see what happens from there.  Has anyone else tried this and if so, have you had any luck?

Hi there trejsi

Did you find the info session at U of T very helpful?  I have attended 5 times and haven't really taken anything away.  My story is very very similar to yours.  I am a CDA, been working in the field with children at a private clinic, for 8 years and at a hospital with adults for 6 years.  I have recently worked with the Georgian CDA program teaching conducting therapy in the clinic.  I have just completed a second BA to update and boost my GPA.  This will be my forth and final application.  I have not re done all 10 full credits, and with 10 years experience, what more can I do?

I am applying to OT as well and looking into social work.  Having a family, I am only applying to U of T.

I noted you are from New Liskeard.  It's a small word.  My aunt volunteers with the Literacy Council there (I believe).  

I'm currently holding a 3.7 GPA for the 10 courses they look at.  I hope it is enough.  Last year I had a 3.3 and it was not.

This forum is either going to give me strength or make me cry, I just haven't decided which yet.

Best, 

Erin

Your

2014 Appy, I am applying to DAL, it's my first choice actually. I'm nervous though cause I have a decent gpa but not that many volunteer hours. Good Luck to everyone applying :)

Hi there trejsi

Did you find the info session at U of T very helpful?  I have attended 5 times and haven't really taken anything away.  My story is very very similar to yours.  I am a CDA, been working in the field with children at a private clinic, for 8 years and at a hospital with adults for 6 years.  I have recently worked with the Georgian CDA program teaching conducting therapy in the clinic.  I have just completed a second BA to update and boost my GPA.  This will be my forth and final application.  I have not re done all 10 full credits, and with 10 years experience, what more can I do?

I am applying to OT as well and looking into social work.  Having a family, I am only applying to U of T.

I noted you are from New Liskeard.  It's a small word.  My aunt volunteers with the Literacy Council there (I believe).  

I'm currently holding a 3.7 GPA for the 10 courses they look at.  I hope it is enough.  Last year I had a 3.3 and it was not.

This forum is either going to give me strength or make me cry, I just haven't decided which yet.

Best, 

Erin

Your

CDA to SLP, If you don't mind me asking how old are you?  I am a CDA as well, and i am a mature student.  I have only 3 years experience as a CDA.  So, if you are not able to get in with all that experience then i don't think i have a chance.

Hi Trejsi,

I've read your posts and was wondering if this was the GPA you had when you applied initially or did you work on your grades in addition to improving your resume since first applying? I'm in a similar situation GPA-wise and am of course trying to guess about my chances.

Thanks for your help.

Hello SLPisforme,

Sorry for the late reply - working hard on these applications and kind of neglected the forums.  This is not the GPA I had when I applied initially - I took 2 online prerequisite courses in addition to improving my resume.

Hi there trejsi

Best, 

Erin

Your

Hello,

To be honest, I found the U of T session to be terrible.  I was pretty embarrassed for them when I sat in on the information session - the people attending knew more than the person presenting the information.

And your aunt volunteers at the literacy council here?  So do I! lol

And I know what you mean about giving you strength or making you cry... I am trying not to compare myself to other people and just do my own thing to the best of my ability.  It keeps me sane, lol.

CDA to SLP, If you don't mind me asking how old are you?  I am a CDA as well, and i am a mature student.  I have only 3 years experience as a CDA.  So, if you are not able to get in with all that experience then i don't think i have a chance.

Hi Trejsi and Asemoooooo

I'm old enough that I find trying to figure out how to respond to posts very confusing!!!

I'll be 35 in January.  That hurt to write.  My biggest hurdle when I first applied was that now some of my prereqs were 10 years old, so they didn't count. ( I completed a BA in 2002 and the CDA in 2003/4.   My marks were also too low.  I think my initial GPA was 3.0, which they said doesn't cut it.  I requested a meeting with the head of admission last year and he told me that if you weren't over a 3.3, 3.4 you weren't considered.  So all my experience was never even looked at.

I have found the whole process very frustrating.  But this is my ast attempt.  I have now redone the final 20 half credits that they factor as a GPA, including all the pre-reqs.  In doing so I completed a second BA, might as well get something out of it.  I don't have all my marks back yet but I'm expecting atl east a 3.7.

I'm also applying to OT and will apply to social work if I don't get in this time around.

For those of you also applying for OT, are you doing it at the same school as SLP, and if so, did you find it confusing for references because it uses the same forms?

Time is almost up!!  Good luck everyone

Hi Trejsi and Asemoooooo

I'm old enough that I find trying to figure out how to respond to posts very confusing!!!

I'll be 35 in January.  That hurt to write.  My biggest hurdle when I first applied was that now some of my prereqs were 10 years old, so they didn't count. ( I completed a BA in 2002 and the CDA in 2003/4.   My marks were also too low.  I think my initial GPA was 3.0, which they said doesn't cut it.  I requested a meeting with the head of admission last year and he told me that if you weren't over a 3.3, 3.4 you weren't considered.  So all my experience was never even looked at.

I have found the whole process very frustrating.  But this is my ast attempt.  I have now redone the final 20 half credits that they factor as a GPA, including all the pre-reqs.  In doing so I completed a second BA, might as well get something out of it.  I don't have all my marks back yet but I'm expecting atl east a 3.7.

I'm also applying to OT and will apply to social work if I don't get in this time around.

For those of you also applying for OT, are you doing it at the same school as SLP, and if so, did you find it confusing for references because it uses the same forms?

Time is almost up!!  Good luck everyone

Hi CDA to SLP, Thanks for all of that.  It is very helpful.  I am also in my 30's.  Figuring out how to respond to post was confusing to me too.  Just click on Quote when you want to respond to a particular message.

Hello CDAtoSLP,

Yes I did find it confusing with the reference letters since I am applying to SLP, OT, and PT at a bunch of different Ontario schools, all using ORPAS.  I actually contacted ORPAS to ask about how it works and they weren't very helpful. I wanted to know if they would organize the reference letters since one of my academic referees is my academic referee for all of the programs, and then I have a second academic referee for SLP, and a separate person for the second OT and PT reference.  They said that they should write 1 letter to cover everything.  However, I encouraged my referees to customize the letters to the specific programs anyway.  We'll see what happens.  I didn't want them writing a general letter that went to all of the schools - to me, that isn't a good reference letter if it is too general.

Hi Trejsi and Asemoooooo & CDA to SLP,

Sounds like many of us are in the same boat. I am applying to SLP, OT & Social Work. I turn 29 this year and I just want to be done with this school thing! But it will be be all worth it in the end. SLP is definatly my first choice, but I would be happy with any of these careers. I just wrote the GRE for the second time and my verbal and quant marks are both one point below the maks I got last year! So discourging since I spent about 3 months studying. I am still waiting on the essay mark, but I feel like I did much better than last time. My GPA was 3.36 the lat time I applied and I have brought it up to 3.67 since taking courses this past Summer and Fall.

The programs I am applying to are all at Dalhousie, but they all have seperate departments for where to send the reference forms and transcripts. I also have the same 3 referees for all of my prgrams. I am hoping that the programs don't know that I'm applying to other programs haha. I am not sure how that works though, as the general applications all go to the main Dal office. I am having trouble trying to figure out how to cram all of my information into my SOP. Since I am older than the average appy, I have had some great volunteer, work and travel expereinces which I want to write about - which I am thankful for, but I am not sure which ones to focus on as you can only write so much.

Hoping to get my letter done tomorrow. Any advice on SOPs? For Dal, you are supposted to write about your most valuable learning experience. Did you also include info about your other expereinces and reasons for wanting to persue SLP, or did you provide most of that info on your resume?

Sounds like many of us are in the same boat. I am applying to SLP, OT & Social Work. I turn 29 this year and I just want to be done with this school thing! But it will be be all worth it in the end. SLP is definatly my first choice, but I would be happy with any of these careers. I just wrote the GRE for the second time and my verbal and quant marks are both one point below the maks I got last year! So discourging since I spent about 3 months studying. I am still waiting on the essay mark, but I feel like I did much better than last time. My GPA was 3.36 the lat time I applied and I have brought it up to 3.67 since taking courses this past Summer and Fall.

The programs I am applying to are all at Dalhousie, but they all have seperate departments for where to send the reference forms and transcripts. I also have the same 3 referees for all of my prgrams. I am hoping that the programs don't know that I'm applying to other programs haha. I am not sure how that works though, as the general applications all go to the main Dal office. I am having trouble trying to figure out how to cram all of my information into my SOP. Since I am older than the average appy, I have had some great volunteer, work and travel expereinces which I want to write about - which I am thankful for, but I am not sure which ones to focus on as you can only write so much.

Hoping to get my letter done tomorrow. Any advice on SOPs? For Dal, you are supposted to write about your most valuable learning experience. Did you also include info about your other expereinces and reasons for wanting to persue SLP, or did you provide most of that info on your resume?

I'm only applying to U of T, which I found frustrating, because the SLP school does not ask for a resume (OT does).  SO in the past I found I was short changing myself because I only put volunteer experience in the volunteer section and left the 3000 characters in the SOP to describe all my work experience.  This year I included work experience under volunteer, (but stated employed).  I took a course at U of T in the Rehab building and the prof is on the board of admission and suggested I do this.

As for referees, I also called the ORPAS office, because for OT is say use ref 1 and 2, but I already printed ref 1 for a language professor who wrote me an SLP referral.  The office told me they will send all letters to all applicants.  I did the same thing a Trejsi, I asked each ref to write specifically about each school. One ap is doing both and I asked that he write 2 letters (change SLP to OT) in the second.    So I don't know what the schools are going to think if they get a bunch of letters saying how great we would be for a different profession.  I'm also freaking out because I haven't heard back from my one reference yet to confirm he has mailed it away.

I think for those of us who have taken the CDA course, unfortunately it is not an advantage.  U of T pretty much told me they don't consider it because it is a college and in another language class I just finished in the Rehab Science Building, they taught that the use of CDA's is a consultative model equal to parent training because the SLP gives the advice, where as I have always thought I do direct therapy, under the supervision of an SLP

Good luck with Dal, I hear it is a beautify school.  Having a family, I'm fairly restricted as to where I can apply

All the best

I'm only applying to U of T, which I found frustrating, because the SLP school does not ask for a resume (OT does).  SO in the past I found I was short changing myself because I only put volunteer experience in the volunteer section and left the 3000 characters in the SOP to describe all my work experience.  This year I included work experience under volunteer, (but stated employed).  I took a course at U of T in the Rehab building and the prof is on the board of admission and suggested I do this.

As for referees, I also called the ORPAS office, because for OT is say use ref 1 and 2, but I already printed ref 1 for a language professor who wrote me an SLP referral.  The office told me they will send all letters to all applicants.  I did the same thing a Trejsi, I asked each ref to write specifically about each school. One ap is doing both and I asked that he write 2 letters (change SLP to OT) in the second.    So I don't know what the schools are going to think if they get a bunch of letters saying how great we would be for a different profession.  I'm also freaking out because I haven't heard back from my one reference yet to confirm he has mailed it away.

I think for those of us who have taken the CDA course, unfortunately it is not an advantage.  U of T pretty much told me they don't consider it because it is a college and in another language class I just finished in the Rehab Science Building, they taught that the use of CDA's is a consultative model equal to parent training because the SLP gives the advice, where as I have always thought I do direct therapy, under the supervision of an SLP

Good luck with Dal, I hear it is a beautify school.  Having a family, I'm fairly restricted as to where I can apply

All the best

Hi CDAtoSLP, This is my first time applying to U of T.  I know what you mean for the volunteer work.  I noticed that and i was thinking the same thing.  How would they know about my actual employment.  So i listed them all.  I listed every experience until i reached the maximum.

As for the CDA not being an advantage.  I heard that too.  Apparently, they don't even know what CDA's really do.  

This is not my area but I like the tone of the convo here so I have looked in a couple of time...and hey, I'm Canadian! Just thought I'd chime in with a reminder that may or may not be useful in your program. I have asked my letter writers to add info that I haven't had room for...including experience outside of academia—from my CV.

Hi asemoooo (dont know how many o's there is haha), 

Im just so confused because my sGPA is a 3.9, but my 2 of my  prerequisite courses are in the C range, while the rest are in As and Bs. I don't know how they will determine if I should be accepted or not, but I'm still applying just in case! I don't know if UWO is as strict as UoT though.

Hi asemoooo (dont know how many o's there is haha), 

Im just so confused because my sGPA is a 3.9, but my 2 of my  prerequisite courses are in the C range, while the rest are in As and Bs. I don't know how they will determine if I should be accepted or not, but I'm still applying just in case! I don't know if UWO is as strict as UoT though.

Hi Ineg

You have wonderful experience, so I hope they do take a look at your application.  However, be aware they take the top marks from the final 10 full courses (or 20 half courses, final 2 years)  I know, because I just redid the final 2 years of school to boost my GPA enough, and make them relevant again (I did my undergrad 10 years ago and the pre reqs wet no longer valid)

As for GPA, I use the Mac conversion chart, it breaks down how each school calculates the GPA, at U of T 80-84% is considered a 3.7 GPA

http://sscareers.mcmaster.ca/students/tools/gpa-conversion-chart.html

Good luck and I'm sure we will all be waiting anxiously for April

Hi All, 

to those of you who have also applied to Social Work, where did you apply?  I plan to apply if I don't get in to SLP, but the school I was looking at (U of T and a Distance through Windsor) the applications were due December, and I didn't want to have to make a decision before hearing back from SLP.

Has anyone tried the online SLP courses?  I have heard of them and tried to get info, but no one has ever responded.

Thanks in advance

Hi All, 

to those of you who have also applied to Social Work, where did you apply?  I plan to apply if I don't get in to SLP, but the school I was looking at (U of T and a Distance through Windsor) the applications were due December, and I didn't want to have to make a decision before hearing back from SLP.

Has anyone tried the online SLP courses?  I have heard of them and tried to get info, but no one has ever responded.

Thanks in advance

-Good luck with Dal, I hear it is a beautify school.  Having a family, I'm fairly restricted as to where I can apply

Good luck with U of T!

Dal and U of Victoria have distance/online social work programs. These are the only 2 I have researched since I am considering them. However, you may have to go in person for some seminars. Are you planning on doing a bachelor of SW or Masters? The deadlines are the end of January for these 2. It seems like with most bachelor programs for SW, you only need to do the last 2 years if you already have an undergrad and then you can do a short masters program, often while wokring at the same time as there are evening courses. But there are others, like U of Vic, where you can go straight into the Masters as long as you take the 2 pre-req courses.

Edited by 2014 Appy

Hi All, 

Thanks in advance

Hi CDAtoSLP! 

I have just graduated from the Utah State University's online 2nd Bachelors program. I HIGHLY recommend it! Whatever Bachelor's degree you have -they will match it. So now I have 2 BSc's. Honestly, I was intimidated to do online school and have no structure/schedule to follow, but the admin/profs/TAs are INCREDIBLE. It actually put Ottawa U to shame. Now I am applying to U of T for SLP but also to 5 schools in the states cause I really loved the education system. We will see how it goes.

I seriously hope people look into this! Feel free to message me if you have any questions about it! 

http://comd.usu.edu/htm/distance-education/online-post-bachelors-degree/onlinegrad-overview

Edited by LMZ

Hi All, 

Thanks in advance

Hi CDAtoSLP,

I applied to a 1 year undergraduate degree in Social Work through Lakehead University (but their Orillia campus).  It is a program specifically for people who already have an undergraduate degree in something else, and when you have completed the program, you are just as eligible as any other Social Work undergrad program to apply for Master's programs.

Hi CDAtoSLP, This is my first time applying to U of T.  I know what you mean for the volunteer work.  I noticed that and i was thinking the same thing.  How would they know about my actual employment.  So i listed them all.  I listed every experience until i reached the maximum.

As for the CDA not being an advantage.  I heard that too.  Apparently, they don't even know what CDA's really do.  

Yes, I'm adding in employment into the volunteer work part too. I've heard that they want to look at your statement and see that what you've said in your statement matches up with all of the other "evidence" they have from you (eg. your volunteer experience, marks, academic references, etc.).

I simply wrote about my most valuable learning experience and did not include information about my other experiences and reasons for wanting to pursue SLP.  If they wanted to know that, they would have asked that, is my thinking.  I just tried to make my learning experience applicable to SLP, so I focused on SLP-ish qualities when I wrote it.  I hope that makes sense.  I sent all of the Dalhousie stuff out on Monday!  Eeek!