Yale's Minimum GRE for MA > Mine. Apply Anyway?

kdavid

I'm interested in Yale's MA in East Asian Studies as a back-up in case I don't get into a good PhD program for Chinese History.

Unfortunately, the department's website states the minimum GRE score is 308, and my combined score is a 304--though I did get a 5 on the writing.

I believe my background is unique (I've lived in China for seven years, have an MA from a mainland university) and that language skills are very strong (my Mandarin, reading and speaking, is impeccable).

I'll also have a strong writing sample grounded in original research. As such, I believe that aside from my GRE scores, I'm an excellent fit for the MA program.

Should I go ahead and apply anyway, or will my scores eliminate me from consideration?

While I can't speak for Yale (and thus can't answer your question directly) I think your best option would be to try and raise your score by retaking the exam if at all possible. The conventional wisdom is that a strong showing on the GRE won't get you into a program but a low score will keep you out.

I would contact Yale and find out if that line is an absolute cut off (as the GPA can be for some) set by the university, or whether they have considered people who didn't quite meet that requirement.

Hi kdavid, 

I applied to Yale's history MA program last year and was admitted for this fall. I did not do well on the GRE's quantitative and or verbal portions but did well on the written (like you). I definitely think you should apply, and you have a good chance of being admitted! Will you have strong letters of recommendation?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi kdavid, 

I applied to Yale's history MA program last year and was admitted for this fall. I did not do well on the GRE's quantitative and or verbal portions but did well on the written (like you). I definitely think you should apply, and you have a good chance of being admitted! Will you have strong letters of recommendation?

Hi Thumbelina:

May I ask what your GRE scores and GPA were? What do you think was the strongest part of your app that lead to your acceptance? My total GRE score for both quant and verbal is 312, which is not the most stellar. I graduated with a 3.9 from a top public uni so I am not sure what my chances are.

• 6 months later...

Hi Thumbelina,

My LORs will be strong, but not from anyone well known.

What sub-field are you in?

Hi kdavid, 

So sorry for the delay - just saw this. I'm studying late medieval/early modern history with a focus on the development of witchcraft in England and Germany. 

Hi Thumbelina:

May I ask what your GRE scores and GPA were? What do you think was the strongest part of your app that lead to your acceptance? My total GRE score for both quant and verbal is 312, which is not the most stellar. I graduated with a 3.9 from a top public uni so I am not sure what my chances are.

Hi accioanime, 

Just sent you a PM. :)