Mathematics courses for a chemistry major

bunninies

I'm a senior planning to apply to a biochemistry/biophysics program (for fall '15), but I'm trying to squeeze in math courses.

I've taken Calc III but did horrible (2.7). That was my only math course.

I'm taking Topology and Geometry right now, but I would also like to take Linear algebra and Differential equations.

If I want to take linear then I'd probably have to take 5 courses this semester or next semester and overload myself.

I'm just wondering if math is very important for a biophysics/chem focus, and your take on which course is preferred.

Or I could drop topology and geometry...

Linear Algebra is useful in just about any field that requires data processing, like biophysics. I highly recommend taking it.

While topology and (differential?) geometry are certain interesting to take, Linear algebra is vastly more related to the work you will be doing.

DTB

It's focused on Knot Theory.

According to the syllabus, we use measurements called 'knot invariants' which include Alexander and Jones polynomials. Seifert surfaces will also be covered.

There's also a lot of reference to biology and chemistry, but since it's a math course it probably won't be totally applicable.

Should I also take probability and statistics? Is differential geometry preferred to either topology or differential equations?

Thanks. Should I not take differential equations then?

I am not going to take real analysis, because I heard it's the most impractical math class for chem majors.

Keep in mind that by biophysics I mean structural biology - involving crystallography or spectroscopy - not things like electrophysiology or computational work.

Keep in mind that by biophysics I mean structural biology - involving crystallography or spectroscopy 

Absolutely take linear algebra. Imo, if you have time take differential equations.

Both classes were required for my school to even get a chemistry (and biochemistry!) degree.

DTB

Will you be working with models in the future that feature differential equations? If so, I'd think that taking an introductory course and maybe even a PDE course would be beneficial. If you take a good linear algebra course and an introductory differential equations course you should immediately start to see a lot of connections. An analysis course would help with understanding the particulars of the PDE course. A numerical analysis course could (should?) feature schemes for solving those PDEs.

So, in other words...

the real answer is take as much math as possible.

Okay guys, I think i will take the linear algebra this semester and differential next semester.

I wish I could squeeze in as much math as I could but I need time for research.

I'll see how it goes if I squeeze in topology and geometry with linear before I drop it.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in the same position you are. Some of the programs I'm looking at require math through differential equations (Calc 1,2,3, and diff) I just added a mathematics minor so I'm also taking Linear and Probability and Statistics. I've been told linear is very useful.

The one thing im curious about is what types of papers are you reading? Shouldn't be the type of math needed be obvious from reading these papers? If you haven't started reading a few papers in the field you are interested weekly(beyond your interested POIs), now would be a good time to start. Not only will it reflect in your SOP, but your overall preparedness for the next step will be that much better. The best way to get into and be successful in graduate school is know the types of  problems you want to solve and know how they are solved as best as possible.

I too am curious how one could get a physics or chemistry degree (of any type) without linear algebra.

Pretty easily, at least at my uni--not even the ACS certified degree requires any more than a year of calc.

...for what it's worth, one related question: if one does not have additional math preparation, will that cause trouble in chemistry grad programs?

Thanks. Should I not take differential equations then?

I am not going to take real analysis, because I heard it's the most impractical math class for chem majors.

Keep in mind that by biophysics I mean structural biology - involving crystallography or spectroscopy - not things like electrophysiology or computational work.

I didn't take linear algebra and I'm doing just fine. I do think that knowing some linear algebra and differential equation may help.

I would say that for the most part -- you use calculus the most. for example, fourier transform, convolution, patterson function and so forth will be introduced when you are taking a technique-related biophysics class -- those are predominantly calculus based.

realistically, you just press a freaking "FT" button and do the magic.

Pretty easily, at least at my uni--not even the ACS certified degree requires any more than a year of calc.

...for what it's worth, one related question: if one does not have additional math preparation, will that cause trouble in chemistry grad programs?

I think it really depends on the school you're looking at and the PI you'd eventually want to work for. Some of my programs don't even mention math where others make it very clear they want me to have math through differential equations. Might be a bit different from biochemistry / biophysics compared to chemistry.