Chance me for top graduate programs, please. I'm in a kinda unorthodox position...

meguca

GPA: 3.93

Major: Biochemistry

GRE: 97% Verbal 97% Quant 6/6 Writing

GRE Chem: not taken yet.... should I take it? I'll sign up for the November test if I should. I'll probably score decently but not spectacularly, I don't really have the time to study intensely

I've done research in three labs. Computational biology research for one summer, aging research in a pathology lab for 1.5 years, and EPR/organic photovoltaics research for >1/2 year. I may have some publications submitted by the time applications are due, but that stuff is still up in the air (and depends on how much I get done in the intervening time, which is why I'm hesitant to take time to study intensely for the Chem Subject GRE unless I really have to). I really want to have papers submitted to journals before December but we'll see how that goes.

The 2nd and 3rd PIs will be writing two LORs (quite strong IMO) and the third LOR will come from an organic chem professor. I did quite well in his class and have talked with him about stuff outside of class on various occasions.

I think my SOP will be quite strong. I'd rather not post it here but I've had it looked at by a ton of professors/grad students/etc.

I'm hoping to apply to top-tier chemical biology program. The Harvard Chemical Biology department is EXACTLY what I am looking for, basically. I am in love with the program. I also have interests in organic synthesis and drug discovery.

The strange situation I'm in is that I'm finishing undergrad in 2 years. To be specific, I started undergrad last autumn, and I'll be graduating next June. So I only have one year of classes on my transcript. On one hand, it's not much to look at. On the other hand, it's basically all STEM, with organic chem, some physical chem, some math, some other random computational stuff, and biology...

Your thoughts? Do I have a chance at top programs? If I get rejected I'll just reapply next year.

Edited by meguca

I think you'd have a tough time getting in to places like Harvard without a Chemistry GRE score (and a stellar score at that). 

I don't see how the speedy undergrad could affect your chances either way - especially if you've got plenty of research experience. 

The only top school that doesn't require the Chemistry GRE is MIT. Given that applicants to MIT probably applied to Harvard, Berkeley, Caltech, etc. (schools which require the subject GRE), being competitive with those other applicants would almost necessitate a chemistry GRE score. If you are head to head with someone for admission and they have the score and you don't, maybe that could be the deciding factor.

Why don't you take a past Chemistry GRE (there are at least three available in other threads on here as I have copies of them) and see what your score is. If you are in fairly good shape then you might not need to brush up on too much, and at least then you will know what kinds of questions to focus on. The tests don't vary much from year to year. If you don't do so hot and you would need a lot of work to look competitive then maybe consider spending your time on other aspects of your application. Obviously if you are really set on Harvard as your top choice then you just have to find the time to study no matter what it takes...

Edited by Faraday

• 2 weeks later...

The subject test is "highly recommended" for most top-tier biochemistry programs. Harvard says it's optional.

What I've been told is to take it in what you're most confident in (be that Chemistry or Biochemistry) and only report scores if you get about the 50th percentile.

Edited by beckydamico

GPA: 3.93

Major: Biochemistry

GRE: 97% Verbal 97% Quant 6/6 Writing

GRE Chem: not taken yet.... should I take it? I'll sign up for the November test if I should. I'll probably score decently but not spectacularly, I don't really have the time to study intensely

I've done research in three labs. Computational biology research for one summer, aging research in a pathology lab for 1.5 years, and EPR/organic photovoltaics research for >1/2 year. I may have some publications submitted by the time applications are due, but that stuff is still up in the air (and depends on how much I get done in the intervening time, which is why I'm hesitant to take time to study intensely for the Chem Subject GRE unless I really have to). I really want to have papers submitted to journals before December but we'll see how that goes.

The 2nd and 3rd PIs will be writing two LORs (quite strong IMO) and the third LOR will come from an organic chem professor. I did quite well in his class and have talked with him about stuff outside of class on various occasions.

I think my SOP will be quite strong. I'd rather not post it here but I've had it looked at by a ton of professors/grad students/etc.

I'm hoping to apply to top-tier chemical biology program. The Harvard Chemical Biology department is EXACTLY what I am looking for, basically. I am in love with the program. I also have interests in organic synthesis and drug discovery.

The strange situation I'm in is that I'm finishing undergrad in 2 years. To be specific, I started undergrad last autumn, and I'll be graduating next June. So I only have one year of classes on my transcript. On one hand, it's not much to look at. On the other hand, it's basically all STEM, with organic chem, some physical chem, some math, some other random computational stuff, and biology...

Your thoughts? Do I have a chance at top programs? If I get rejected I'll just reapply next year.

Why are you in love with the Harvard program?  Can you expound?