EAPSI 2014

guttata

I am also going crazy! Any news for Australia, anyone??

Also waiting for Oz. So far as I can tell it's been nothing but silence since they announced Japan Friday (1/31), which was a terrible, terrible thing to do.

Don't quote me on this but somewhere (maybe in an old EAPSI forum) I read that all offers are "tentative" until you attend the information session in Washington D.C..

That might be the case, but the tentative offer I got said  "Participants must attend the EAPSI Pre-Departure Orientation on April 3-4, 2014 in Arlington, VA. Information on how to book airplane tickets and hotel room at no cost to Fellows will be provided if this tentative offer becomes final." so that makes it sound like they will finalize the offer before DC. It might be officially done in DC, but they wouldn't fly us out there if they didn't expect to finalize things. Besides, as I understand it, the tentative offer is like when our grad programs say they accept us, but we still haven't gotten a letter from the dean. It's as good as done barring any crazy circumstances, which is why (at least for Japan) we're supposed to look into housing options even at this stage. ...that's not to say it won't be nice to officially know!

I guess we'll post which comes first (letter sending us to DC or letter that finalizes our acceptance) when it happens. 

That might be the case, but the tentative offer I got said  "Participants must attend the EAPSI Pre-Departure Orientation on April 3-4, 2014 in Arlington, VA. Information on how to book airplane tickets and hotel room at no cost to Fellows will be provided if this tentative offer becomes final." so that makes it sound like they will finalize the offer before DC. It might be officially done in DC, but they wouldn't fly us out there if they didn't expect to finalize things. Besides, as I understand it, the tentative offer is like when our grad programs say they accept us, but we still haven't gotten a letter from the dean. It's as good as done barring any crazy circumstances, which is why (at least for Japan) we're supposed to look into housing options even at this stage. ...that's not to say it won't be nice to officially know!

I guess we'll post which comes first (letter sending us to DC or letter that finalizes our acceptance) when it happens. 

Hi guys,

I am a former fellow (to Singapore 2011). They never sent us an official letter saying anything after the "tentative acceptance." I remember in March they sent us an email with the details to the DC trip. The only reason why this is tentative is because they need the counterpart agency to confirm the number of spots. If you got a tentative offer I wouldnt worry about it, think as if you already have it. 

Good luck and enjoy this great experience. Cheers.

Hi guys,

I am a former fellow (to Singapore 2011). They never sent us an official letter saying anything after the "tentative acceptance." I remember in March they sent us an email with the details to the DC trip. The only reason why this is tentative is because they need the counterpart agency to confirm the number of spots. If you got a tentative offer I wouldnt worry about it, think as if you already have it. 

Good luck and enjoy this great experience. Cheers.

Good to know! I'm just a bit stressed since I did reply to their email accepting their terms but I never got a response email, so I worry they didn't get my email. Of course they probably just don't send confirmation emails, but it would be nice to know that they got it. x_x

Hi all,

I can verify from last year it took some time for them to return emails after I replied. In fact, in 5 days, since I'm so paranoid, I emailed asking and they politely asked me to calm down, that they received it :). Also the offers were "tentative" even after the DC trip. I don't remember exactly when they were official, but I do know the trip was coming up really really soon (like a week) and I was getting nervous. So moral of the story is, I think, if you get a tentative offer and you accept it, count it as set. I'm rather sure they set it as "tentative" if the entire EAPSI program loses funding or something, which probably means we all have bigger problems lol. 

Hi all,

I can verify from last year it took some time for them to return emails after I replied. In fact, in 5 days, since I'm so paranoid, I emailed asking and they politely asked me to calm down, that they received it :). Also the offers were "tentative" even after the DC trip. I don't remember exactly when they were official, but I do know the trip was coming up really really soon (like a week) and I was getting nervous. So moral of the story is, I think, if you get a tentative offer and you accept it, count it as set. I'm rather sure they set it as "tentative" if the entire EAPSI program loses funding or something, which probably means we all have bigger problems lol. 

Thanks, this definitely clears a bit up! Also, your last sentence made me laugh a bit because my NDSEG fellowship funding for this month was actually delayed until February 4th (usually they are precisely on the 1st) "due to matters out of [their] program office's control". x_X