EAPSI 2014

guttata

Hi, I am also from Irvine. I haven't looked into my options, but flying out of LAX at 5:50 in the morning sounds unpleasant. It may be the best option though? What are you using to look up flight info?

I'm using Hipmunk.com. You can change the time you want to leave after or arrive by, which is super nice in cases like this! There is a redeye the night before from SNA that I'm considering but then I'm there super early. I'm also thinking about just going a whole day early and getting in the evening before. Time to check facebook for friends I can crash with! 

I think I'm going to do the redeye from SNA that leaves at 9:33pm, arrives in DC at 7:43am. I'll just leave my bags at the hotel and maybe check out the area since I'll have all day to kill.  :)

Any thoughts on flights from people in SoCal? There is only one flight leaving on the 3rd that I've found that get in before 4 (the 5:50am out of LAX). Are you gonna do that? Take a red eye? Try to come in a day early? I like to think through all of my options before calling.

Last time I had to do SoCal to this area, I was able to get a reasonable Southwest flight from Ontario to BWI. I'm not sure where in SoCal you are, but that might be an option. Although they say to fly into Reagan, BWI is just a four-dollar, 35 minute commuter train away from Union Station in DC, and it's really easy to take the subway from Union station to Reagan, so you can still get the hotel shuttle.

Also, I'm taking the 12:17 pm Amtrak from Baltimore, and should be at Union station around 1, if anyone is headed in that way and wants to get food together. There's a lot more restaurants near union station than there are near Reagan airport.

I think I'm going to do the redeye from SNA that leaves at 9:33pm, arrives in DC at 7:43am. I'll just leave my bags at the hotel and maybe check out the area since I'll have all day to kill.   :)

I ended up doing that flight too. :)

I got my flights booked to DC! I get to be the odd ball arriving about an hour late. Good start to an orientation!

On that same boat. I'll be arriving late too.

So I just called and apparently they can only book through American Airlines? And the earliest flight that day from Tucson gets in at 5:40PM? And there are no redeyes from Tucson the day before so if I wanted to get there before 4pm I'd have to take a flight at 3PM on April 2nd and get in at midnight................

This seems kind of ridiculous. Delta has a perfectly fine flight that leaves at 6AM and gets in at 3PM on April 3rd.

Well, on my second call in to SATO, I happened to talk to a much nicer lady than on my previous call. She said there was one that gets in at 4:30PM, so looks like I won't be quite so late. >.>

So I just called and apparently they can only book through American Airlines? And the earliest flight that day from Tucson gets in at 5:40PM? And there are no redeyes from Tucson the day before so if I wanted to get there before 4pm I'd have to take a flight at 3PM on April 2nd and get in at midnight................

This seems kind of ridiculous. Delta has a perfectly fine flight that leaves at 6AM and gets in at 3PM on April 3rd.

That's super weird. They wanted to put me on Delta first. I asked for a United flight out there, but I still got a Delta flight back (taking a rather long route, but whatever). I don't quite get the system, but if there is one that gets you there on time it might be worth calling back, although 4:30 is better than 5:40! My guess is they have some system that they use for what's the cheapest. 

That's super weird. They wanted to put me on Delta first. I asked for a United flight out there, but I still got a Delta flight back (taking a rather long route, but whatever). I don't quite get the system, but if there is one that gets you there on time it might be worth calling back, although 4:30 is better than 5:40! My guess is they have some system that they use for what's the cheapest. 

Ya, the first lady said something about American being the only contracted carrier for that location. I wasn't sure whether she meant Tucson or DC, but maybe it was Tucson.

That's strange. When I called, the lady just asked me if I had a flight in mind. I told her my United flights and she didn't question it, she just booked them.

Will any former fellows comment on dress code for orientation? Business casual? Jeans?

The email I got said "Recommended attire for the orientation is casual or business casual." I'm going with jeans.

Good news to everyone going to Australia.. A few days ago I filled out my Visa application and I'm not kidding, the very next day I was notified by email that it was granted. The visa itself came as a PDF in the email (assuming I read correctly). Pretty amazing considering how much I was stressing about filling it out correctly and all!

• 3 weeks later...

I received an email about a month ago saying that any alternates would be notified by April 15. Has anyone who is an alternate heard one way or the other? I would REALLY like to start figuring out my summer plans!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Panel reviews for this round are now available in your Fastlane portal. Typical of NSF reviews, it's hit or miss depending on the reviewer how useful they'll be. Proposals are placed into one of three categories - Highly recommended for funding, Fund if possible, and Not recommended.

My review cited shortcomings in my BI and high competition for Australia as negatives, but they were complimentary with respect to my actual research plan and presentation. Fund if possible, so some BI tweaks for next year and I ought to have a good shot.

Maybe I haven't received mine yet as I couldn't find the reviews on fast lane...

Sure seems from the tone of the summary that everyone would have gotten them at the same time.

Login here: https://www.fastlane.nsf.gov/jsp/homepage/proposals.jsp, then click "Proposal Functions" > "Proposal Status" > your proposal # and scroll down.