is going to a DC school crucial to getting a job in government?

talons1025

I ask because I want to go to a DC school, i just do not think I can afford it.  I would probably be able to get in, but I think with finacial aid being as competitive as it is, I would not stand a chance to getting tuition waived much.  So I ask, is going to a DC area school absolutely imperitive in order to get a job in foreign service / government?

I think it depends on what type of job you want specifically. I have several friends that work in D.C. that did not go to school there (graduates from the University of Washington, Western Washington, and University of Nebraska are the ones that come to mind off the top of my head). If you want to work in something that requires local contacts it might matter, but I think most jobs look more at your skill set than your geographical location. 

You don't have to attend a DC school to obtain a job with the federal government. The only advantage about attending graduate school in DC is  greater access to the internships (such as working part-time during the school year at federal agencies and nonprofits). Otherwise, you will see graduates with non-DC degrees (especially Harvard, Michigan, Princeton, etc.) working in the DC area.

Just to offer a slightly contrary opinion... I agree that the government does not care specifically where you got your degree, but do think that being in DC helps.  I think the internship opportunities are pretty helpful at getting your foot in the door, due to the experience and contacts (and also, there are special hiring programs for interns in some cases).

Also, there are a lot of graduates from DC-area schools working in the government.  The alumni networks can be very useful, even though the federal hiring process is fairly regimented.

This is not to discourage you from going to a non-DC school, I just think that there are a lot of advantages to being in DC if you want to pursue a career in the government.  You mention the foreign service, though, and I think there is less of an advantage to being in DC due to the way the recruitment process works.

Also, keep in mind that the federal budget situation is not good right now, and many agencies have a hiring freeze.  So even if you are in DC, there may not be government jobs available.

No, I don't really think that it's necessarily to go to a school in DC if you want a civil service or foreign service job.  Most government departments' hiring processes don't really favor DC applicants over non-DC applicants.  Internships do help, but plenty of people go to DC for a summer or semester to intern or work and make connections that way.  I interned in DC for my eventual federal employer between my first and second year at LBJ, for example.  My understanding of the Foreign Service hiring process is that it's mostly exam based and the FSOs I've bumped in to have come from a variety of schools, including a couple I know from LBJ. 

Being in DC for networking purposes could be a bit more of a help if you're interested in the non-profit sector, private sector, the Hill etc. but you could still do an internship in that field during the summer. 

CalSeeker is right that federal hiring is down these days, but who knows what the budget will be like in 2-3 years when you graduate.  I was lucky that I was in the pipeline for my job before federal hiring slowed and the economy tanked, but who knows what will happen in the next couple of years. 

If you're interested in the Foreign Service, check out the Pickering and Rangel fellowships.  For civil service, check out the Pathways internship programs at the various departments/agencies you're interested in, since those allow you to be converted to a full-time civil service employee after you graduate, without having to compete against external applicants (essentially you're an internal hire, which they can still do even under hiring freezes, usually).  I knew a couple of people who did SCEP (the Pathways program predecessor) and alternated semesters of grad school with working.  It helps you save money and get a job after graduation, so what's not to like?

Good points above on the internship opportunities.  The extent of the alumni network in DC and perception of your school/program can help you get a job.  Call different schools' Career Services and peruse their websites for clues to this.  You're going to find plenty of Harvard, Syracuse, Carnegie Mellon, and Columbia students in DC.  I've actually run into a lot of Carnegie Mellon and Pitt alums in DC working for the federal govt. ( a few in non profits).  I've only run into a couple Harvard students, but that's all anecdotal anyways.

• 2 weeks later...

No. And it's also not crucial to getting a DC internship.  The only way I think it significantly advantages you is that you can do internships in DC during term time (less competition and sometimes better experiences than summer internships) and if you already have an apartment in DC you won't have to worry about finding temporary housing if you do stay for a summer internship.  

If you go to school in DC, you do have the resources of DC at your finger tips.  You can hear cabinet secretaries and senior officials give talks, you can go to great conferences, you can can be a part of the DC scene.  But it's not critical to working in DC.  Having some work experience, preferably but not exclusively in DC will help a lot, but that doesn't mean you must attend a DC school.  Going to a prestigious school helps, doing internships and doing well at them helps, getting a higher degree helps.  Beyond that, it's about timing, hard work, and honestly a little bit of luck. 

I visited Duke's program a while back. They place a majority of their graduates in DC, quite a few with the Feds. The cost of living in Durham is quite low and Duke seems like they are pretty generous with financial aid.