Fall 2014 MSW Applications

U-M_Detroiter

From my experience, USC and Denver weren't all that hard to get into. I wouldn't, however, say that no school is terribly difficult to get into. For instance, the UW admissions folks came and spoke with my cohort during orientation and they said over 600 people applied for the full-time program and only 100-150 (I can't exactly remember how many but I think 110 are in my cohort) were admitted, which is less than 25 percent give or take. Good luck!

Applied to University of Chicago Extended Evening Program on Dec 1.  Finishing up my UIC application, hope to submit tomorrow.  I was accepted to Jane Addams once before, but didn't go because of a work opportunity.  Live and work in Chicago, fingers crossed for SSA.

Edited by chicagosocialwork

I am curious about who has heard anything back from schools yet, specifically NYC schools.

I applied to Columbia in late Oct, and my final rec letter was in on Nov 11 so it's been about 4 weeks. I thought I applied pretty early (Dec 1 deadline) but I still haven't heard anything. I suppose 4-6 weeks is normal but I'm just wondering if other people have gotten decisions from them yet. 

NYU I applied to in early Nov and all of my stuff is turned in, but when I check my application status, 2 letters and my transcripts are not checked off as received...(I have already contacted them about 5 times regarding technical difficulties during the application process, did anyone else have issues with them?)

Hunter I also applied to in early Nov and have yet to hear anything. 

Hello Everyone,

Ran into these forums just recently and wow! I was missing out in lots of valuable information. I have recently graduated with a BA in Liberal Studies and decided to pursue an MSW but after reading all this information I realized that I am lagging behind. I have only applied to CSULB and do not expect to get my 3 letters of rec till after winter break (since I know the authors of my LoR are extremely busy). I feel like I should have applied to my other two choices UCLA and CSULA. Any advice on whether I should go ahead and apply now even though its pretty late. Also, would a GPA of 3.5 and 5 year experience working at a low income public school be considered a good candidate?

Thank you all. 

Edited by lucyyy19

I only applied to BU so far my last recommender, finished her recommendation on Dec 20th and BU says that they don't look at an application until all the recommendations are finished.

the other school that I applied to (or am attempting to apply to) is Simmons College (also in Boston). THEIR application is frustrating (I applied for advanced standing), some of the stuff  is supposed to be online, the other part needs to be mailed or faxed in... it is really frustrating.

Does anyone when BU's acceptance and Finaid goes out?

I wanted to apply to UW as well, but my sense was that it did not offer a lot in terms of financial assistance.  I have applied to Berkeley and Rhode Island College.  I was very excited to see someone applying to Berkeley in their 50's....I'm in my 40's.  I also applied for the MAP concentration (at Berkeley).  I am trying to get together my application to BU.

Good Luck All!

• 2 weeks later...

I am also working on UCLA MSW right now! This deadline is stressing me out! When do you plan on submitting application?

Hello All,

I am currently working on the UCLA MSW application, the final deadline is January 15. Hope there are others working on the same application!!  :)

Hello All,

I am currently working on the UCLA MSW application, the final deadline is January 15. Hope there are others working on the same application!!  :)

I too am applying to UCLA. Working on last details!

Did any of you attend the MSW Diversity Fair?

I too am applying to UCLA. Working on last details!

Did any of you attend the MSW Diversity Fair?

No I did not did you? And also when do u plan on submitting ur application? I realized that we cannot send out the references to our letters of rec writers until we finish the application? Is that correct?