PHD Bioengineering/Biomedical engineering applications Fall 2014 profiles

T.J

I just received an invitation to UCB-UCSF prospective student visit. Is this a tentative acceptance or just an interview offer?

&

Anyone visiting UCB-UCSF on 2/23-24 and Stanford on 2/25-27? We can probably coordinate ground transportation. I am from Virginia, so I am not sure what is the best way to get from UCB to Stanford. 

I just received an invitation to UCB-UCSF prospective student visit. Is this a tentative acceptance or just an interview offer?

&

Anyone visiting UCB-UCSF on 2/23-24 and Stanford on 2/25-27? We can probably coordinate ground transportation. I am from Virginia, so I am not sure what is the best way to get from UCB to Stanford.

I'm from Virginia too and go to Berkeley for undergrad currently. Hearing from bioe grad students here, if u get invite u basically will get in unless u totally bomb the interview by showing that you're rude or mean or something, so congrats! They only interview ones they expect to admit so u r pretty close!

Going from Berkeley to Stanford is possible by public transit but it'll be tedious and time consuming. You could take BART and then Caltrain, you would take BART from Downtown Berkeley to Millbrae and then transfer to Caltrain from Millibrae to Stanford. I bet this will take 3-4 hours transit with BART being 1 and half and Caltrain being an hour but Caltrain only runs every 30 min during peak hours and every hour at other times and BART runs every 20 min. I would suggest driving perhaps by taking Uber or Lyft (would be expensive but I'm pretty sure you'll get reimbursed).

I'm from Virginia too and go to Berkeley for undergrad currently. Hearing from bioe grad students here, if u get invite u basically will get in unless u totally bomb the interview by showing that you're rude or mean or something, so congrats! They only interview ones they expect to admit so u r pretty close!

Thanks for the info! Great to know!

Dubblebubble898- it was not a professor, a graduate coordinator or something who was also out on medical leave so that could be delaying things. I tried to get in contact with a few PIs but they said the admissions process was out of their control

Did anyone get an email from WUSTL today saying that their admission decision would be posted to 29th? Not sure how to read into that or why they would send out an email before decisions were available...

Hi guys ! 

I missed application for 2015 fall, I'm preparing for 2016 fall term. 

Actually I'm currently continue a phd program at Turkey but I've got full scholarship from our government to study phd at USA. It includes tuition, insurance, life and travel expenses. I think it makes easier to get acceptance. So, I'll quit my phd even I passed qualifying exam and I'll do phd application to bioengineering/biomedical engineering department of universities in USA. Let me give some information about me and please make comment about my acceptance chance and I wait your suggestion. 

Undergraduate : Fatih University, Turkey / Biology Department / GPA : 3.01/4.0

Graduate (I'll quit) : Hacettepe University, Turkey / Bioengineering / GPA : 3.63/4.0

GRE : Not yet

Toefl or IELTS : Not yet 

Experiences : 1 month undergraduate internship - One of medical university in Turkey - Microbiology research laboratory  

3 months undergraduate internship - Universite Bordeaux Segalen, INSERM, France - subject : Laser Assisted Bioprinting

4 months research fellow position - Wake Forest Institute for Regenerative Medicine (WFIRM) - Biofabrication/Bioprinting group

2 years phd education and also I'm in 2 different project about biomaterials supported by Turkish government. 

References : Dr. Anthony Atala (WFIRM), Dr. Fabien Guillemot (INSERM), and my own supervisors here. 

Additional Info : I have invitation letter from Harvard University. It's for making research on a special subject related with bioprinting. 

As you see my interest area is biofabrication/bioprinting. Where do you suggest me to apply ? And do I have chance to have financial aid ? If I've got financial aid I prefer. 

I wait your comments ! Thanks.

I applied to UCSD as well and haven't heard back :(

I posted this on the 2015 thread as well, but in case you didn't see:

I worked at UCSD in the BE department several years ago and am still in contact with my PI there. UCSD sent out some invites and rejections, but more are coming. Their graduate admissions coordinator broke her arm, so she's been sending out notifications more slowly than usual. All the best luck to everyone! Don't worry about this one quite yet.

• 2 weeks later...

For people accepted to WUSTL, did they send you an email saying to check the decision in a few days?

I have been pratically developing ulcers over these days!!!

Yes, this is how I received my notification. The worst part was the subject line: "Admissions Decision Available." Such a tease. Good luck with the wait!! I hope it's good news!