PHD Bioengineering/Biomedical engineering applications Fall 2014 profiles

T.J

Last year UMich gave 2 interview weekends, one in Feb and one in March. I am almost positive the 2nd group didn't get notice until prob early to mid Feb. For the 1st group, I think they got notice sometime around the end of January because us current BME grads got asked around that time to take the prospectives out to lunch. So I wouldn't give up hope yet.

Thank you for sharing this info...

I saw someone posted an admit for Carnegie Mellon University - Biomed Eng. Fingers crossed :)

My friend got a UCB/SF interview email this morning (1/15). If they are doing things the same way as in previous years it looks like all their offers will be sent out in the next day or two.

Edited by gmedlo

Thank you for sharing this info...

I saw someone posted an admit for Carnegie Mellon University - Biomed Eng. Fingers crossed :)

Refresh rate just increased from 2 times per day to 100000 per day .

I've been told they are in the process of finalizing the decisions @ CMU good luck T.J . it is a pitty that guy did not give more info like ( POI admissions) or grades.

Edited by groundtrush

Hi all,

I guess I'm late to the party; can't believe I didn't know about this website!!

Has anyone heard anything from/applied to Stanford Bioengineering PhD?? From doing a lot of reserarch on this website, it seems in the past tons of people applied there, but this year from all the posts, I don't see anyone. What gives?

Due to various constraints I could only apply to 3 schools, and haven't heard from any of them yet! >.>

Thanks!

Edited by jeffleung1992

Hey Jeff , First good luck in your admission this year.

Well this comunity is not inclusive , maybe a lot of people applied to stanford bioengineering but they did not post anything about it . last year stanford results were out in the end of January , so soon enough we may get more infos.

Ya I do feel the heat biomedical engineering/bioengineering results started surfacing .

Hi everyone! 

New to this site, figured I'd check out my competition/future classmates.

Is this primarily the only thread I should be looking at for BME PhD updates?

Obligatory profile:

UG GPA: Overall 3.97/4.00; BME GPA 4.00/4.00

Honors:

Goldwater Scholarship

TBP Scholarship 

Research experience:

4 years undergrad research (during semesters)

1 summer NSF REU

1 summer DAAD-RISE

1 summer research @ home institution

Research publications, patents, conferences:

publication - 1 in preparation as first author

2 posters, 2 platform talks at national and international conferences

PHD intended specialization

biomaterials for tissue engineering and drug delivery

University list:

Harvard-MIT HST MEMP

University of Cambridge ChE & Biotech (admitted)

JHU BME

GTech BME (admitted, visit March 14-16)

MIT BE (interview, March 7-8)

UW BE

Stanford BE

UPenn BE (was contacted by a professor who  was interested in discussing her research with me)

CU Boulder Chem/Bioengineering (admitted, visit April 3-6)

Hi everyone! 

Obligatory profile:

Honors:

Goldwater Scholarship

TBP Scholarship 

Research experience:

1 summer NSF REU

1 summer DAAD-RISE

University list:

Harvard-MIT HST MEMP

JHU BME

UW BE

Stanford BE

UPenn BE (was contacted by a professor who  was interested in discussing her research with me)

It seems to be the only thread . 

I wouldn't want you as my competitor ! you would crush me and take all the spots. 

Excellent profile and best of luck . 

Jeff, I did not apply to stanford but my friend that has already gotten MIT/UCB-SF interview offers did. I'll let you know if he hears anything.

Just heard from UVa this morning--got an email from a professor saying that they were very interested in my application and that they would like to schedule a phone or skype call with me. From what I've heard from previous applicants, this is basically an interview offer.

To anyone else in the thread, I am a current undergrad in UW BioE, so let me know if you have any questions about the program or would like insight into any of the professors.

Obligatory stats post:

GRE: 159/164/5.0  (81/89/93)%

Domestic/International (TOEFL/IELTS):Domestic

UG GPA: 3.60 Overall, 3.61 Major. For apps due after 12/15, 3.64 overall, 3.74 Major

Research experience:

2.5 Years total

-1 Summer salaried research @ Home Institution

-1 Summer Grant Program @ Home Institution

1 Poster @ research conference

Cellular Bioengineering, Biophysics, Systems Biology

University list:

UCD, UCB-SF, UMinn, UVa, Harvard, BU, MIT (all BME/BioE)

Refresh rate just increased from 2 times per day to 100000 per day .

I've been told they are in the process of finalizing the decisions @ CMU good luck T.J . it is a pitty that guy did not give more info like ( POI admissions) or grades.

good luck too .... im refreshing thrice a day ;) (lucky for me I'm working a lot)... Im of the opinion im not going to any other univ anymore :P ... (although i wish and hope otherwise)

Hi everyone! 

Obligatory profile:

Honors:

Goldwater Scholarship

TBP Scholarship 

Research experience:

1 summer NSF REU

1 summer DAAD-RISE

University list:

Harvard-MIT HST MEMP

JHU BME

UW BE

Stanford BE

Great profile!!! Looking at you guys being contacted by profs at Upenn, I wonder if im on waiting list or "to be sent for rejection" list. 

The only confidence I have now is that Its only january. mid-Feb will be hell if I would not have heard from anyone.

Welcome AxyC -  I too will be at the MIT BE interview weekend.  Got an email and follow up call by a PI at UPenn as well, so maybe we will cross paths one day!  Anyway, good luck!

TJ don't worry about Penn, the PI I spoke to said she was contacting me because she is new to Penn and since I guess we will be able to request who we meet with on interview day, so she wanted me to request her. I doubt it means that you are not getting an interview if you didn't get a call.

Edited by tuckbro

Welcome AxyC -  I too will be at the MIT BE interview weekend.  Got an email and follow up call by a PI at UPenn as well, so maybe we will cross paths one day!  Anyway, good luck!

TJ don't worry about Penn, the PI I spoke to said she was contacting me because she is new tp Penn and since I guess we will be able to request who we meet with on interview day, so wanted me to request her. I doubt it means that you are not getting an interview if you didn't get a call.

oh great :).. thanks! thats comforting..

Jeff, I did not apply to stanford but my friend that has already gotten MIT/UCB-SF interview offers did. I'll let you know if he hears anything.

Just heard from UVa this morning--got an email from a professor saying that they were very interested in my application and that they would like to schedule a phone or skype call with me. From what I've heard from previous applicants, this is basically an interview offer.

To anyone else in the thread, I am a current undergrad in UW BioE, so let me know if you have any questions about the program or would like insight into any of the professors.

Thanks a lot gmedlo! And congrats on hearing from UVA, best wishes for the interview! 

Hey Jeff , First good luck in your admission this year.

Well this comunity is not inclusive , maybe a lot of people applied to stanford bioengineering but they did not post anything about it . last year stanford results were out in the end of January , so soon enough we may get more infos.

Ya I do feel the heat biomedical engineering/bioengineering results started surfacing .

Thanks for the info, and yea I hope we start hearing back soon, the wait is quite frustrating!! 

Hi everyone! 

Obligatory profile:

Honors:

Goldwater Scholarship

TBP Scholarship 

Research experience:

1 summer NSF REU

1 summer DAAD-RISE

University list:

Harvard-MIT HST MEMP

JHU BME

UW BE

Stanford BE

Glad to see another Stanford BioE applicant! Though I don't think we're in direct competition since I'm applying for the biomedical computation research focus (I imagine it would make more sense for them to admit into each research area than just generally, but then again, who knows). Best wishes! :) 

Got a phone call from the graduate chair of biomedical sciences at Penn state (hershey). My first official funded acceptance :) and made my day. It is a great place. 

The battle of Biomed science Vs Engineering is still going on inside me.. :)... will make a decision in april.

TJ don't worry about Penn, the PI I spoke to said she was contacting me because she is new to Penn and since I guess we will be able to request who we meet with on interview day, so she wanted me to request her. I doubt it means that you are not getting an interview if you didn't get a call.

Thanks!  Looking forward to meeting you at the MIT BE interview weekend or elsewhere!

I think the same person talked to us from UPenn, description of your experience fits mine.

Best of luck to everyone!

Got a phone call from the graduate chair of biomedical sciences at Penn state (hershey). My first official funded acceptance :) and made my day. It is a great place. 

The battle of Biomed science Vs Engineering is still going on inside me.. :)... will make a decision in april.

Thats Great News. congrats.  

Congrats TJ. I bet it feels good to get one locked up!

Hi everyone! 

1 summer DAAD-RISE

Harvard-MIT HST MEMP

Hey AxyC,

If you haven't seen it already, you should definitely check out the results page!  That would be the primary place to get up-to-date information.

I did the RISE program when I was an undergrad too!  It's always awesome to see a fellow RISEr.

Last year I responded to some questions about the so you might want to check that out.  Alternatively/also, you are very welcome to PM me with any questions.

For everyone else, I should also add that I interviewed at UPenn, UW, and Brown - so if anyone is interested in how those interviews worked or what interview weekend was like, I can try my best to recall the process.

Good luck everyone!  I know the waiting is a very anxiety-inducing, ego-crushing experience.. just consider it emotional practice for your PhD ;).

Hey AxyC,

If you haven't seen it already, you should definitely check out the results page!  That would be the primary place to get up-to-date information.

I did the RISE program when I was an undergrad too!  It's always awesome to see a fellow RISEr.

Last year I responded to some questions about the so you might want to check that out.  Alternatively/also, you are very welcome to PM me with any questions.

For everyone else, I should also add that I interviewed at UPenn, UW, and Brown - so if anyone is interested in how those interviews worked or what interview weekend was like, I can try my best to recall the process.

Good luck everyone!  I know the waiting is a very anxiety-inducing, ego-crushing experience.. just consider it emotional practice for your PhD ;).

Hi intirb,

The results page looks helpful, I appreciate the link. 

I will certainly PM you about specifics for each school if I am lucky enough to receive an interview. I'm reading through your link to the HST MEMP discussion right now and finding answers to a lot of my questions - Thanks!

Finally join in... waiting is even more painful than trouble shooting... 

GRE: 700 800 3.0

Domestic/International (TOEFL/IELTS): International IELTS: 7.0

UG GPA: 3.82

(If you did Masters)

Masters GPA:

Research experience:

3 years including 2 REU

1 in preparation as first author

2 posters presentation for REU program

1 talk at departmental pizza talk designed for senior graduate students and postdoc

1 abstract submitted for 58th biophysical society meeting

protein engineering/chemical biology/systems biology

University list:

still waiting for Stanford Bioe and MIT BE

To tuckbro and AxyC: does the MIT BE invitation for visiting go out for one wave? Judging from the result on this website, it looks like people still hear back in late Jan...

Finished my UVa phone interview and was told I should have a formal email with an interview invite coming soon. Interview weekends are March 7th-9th and 14th-16th, and was told they usually fly people out so they arrive thursday night in time to get dinner. I will probably be going on the 7th-9th unless I have another interview offer for that weekend!

Finished my UVa phone interview and was told I should have a formal email with an interview invite coming soon. Interview weekends are March 7th-9th and 14th-16th, and was told they usually fly people out so they arrive thursday night in time to get dinner. I will probably be going on the 7th-9th unless I have another interview offer for that weekend!

That's great, congrats on a good phone interview, and best wishes for the interview weekend! :) 

Just got a phone call from the PI I named as my top interest -- Stanford interview offer! 

To tuckbro and AxyC: does the MIT BE invitation for visiting go out for one wave? Judging from the result on this website, it looks like people still hear back in late Jan...

Welcome! And great profile!!

I think they probably go out in waves, that seems pretty typical of all programs I think? 

Best of luck to you!