NSERC 2014-2015 anybody???

snowshoes

Congratulations to everyone who received positive notice regarding their NSERC applications for this year.

I applied for a CGS-M, and have received one no from one university department about moving my application forward, but am still waiting to hear back from the other university adjudicating my application (to put forward to the next level)....

I've been advised (by a representative of the Uni that said no) that in order to increase my prospects of landing an NSERC, I should consider taking another FULL YEAR of FULL TIME courses... 18 credits. This could be possible through online courses (about 9 credits worth) through BCIT, and some summer classes at UBC... I could probably do them all between April and August - but would have to either go down to severe part-time with my job, or just quit it entirely....

I work full-time right now at a consulting agency, am 28, and this just seems... ridiculous to me?

Is it basic practice/knowledge that I won't be able to get into a MSc program without an NSERC? most of the profs I have been corresponding with have been inquiring whether I have applied for funding, and it seems their interest in contigent upon my winning or having an NSERC already...

Did anyone else encounter this?

For a bit of background:

I have a BSc in Animal Biology; had some really bad courses (about 4-5) out of all of them, and they brought my GPA down... I think I was at 80% for my last full-year of school, and the year before that something around a 76%. It sucks, because within those years I have some of the best grades (even got the top score in one of my classes)... But whatever, the past is past, and now I have to deal with this situation.

I am in Vancouver, and my schools of choice were UBC-O (Biology Dept), UNBC (NRES), and UBC-V (Forestry - also Zoology but no one suitable for me)...

I am pretty frustrated with this... I am set up to register as an unclassified student at UBC for this summer, to get some classes if I need them, and I was already sort of planning on taking some GIS courses to increase my skill level - from BCIT, so I guess these would contribute, but... Has anyone else ever experienced this?

I have one co-authorship (4th author), and am working on a section for a position paper which will get me co-authorship as well...

Of course they want you to do a full year of courses, more money for them!  

That seems like absurd advice, but when applying for a CGS-M marks are the big deciding factor.  I was in your position regarding poor academic choices in my undergraduate degree, which resulted in being rejected for the CGS-M.

I was funded by my supervisor for my MSc and am currently in my second year as a PhD candidate.  I have done a 180 since my undergrad days, but it is still a black mark on my application.  My PGS-D application was forwarded to NSERC for the past 2 years and I was first on the wait list last year.  This is my final year for eligibility, so I'm hoping my other credentials and proposal negate doing poorly in a few course 10 years ago.

Supervisors always want students with their own funding (free labour), especially in the current research funding climate.  But you may be able to find someone with money who is willing to take you on, it happened to me twice.  You just have to have the special something that sets you apart and makes them have faith in you and believe you will be productive.

Don't give up!

Of course they want you to do a full year of courses, more money for them!  

That seems like absurd advice, but when applying for a CGS-M marks are the big deciding factor.  I was in your position regarding poor academic choices in my undergraduate degree, which resulted in being rejected for the CGS-M.

I was funded by my supervisor for my MSc and am currently in my second year as a PhD candidate.  I have done a 180 since my undergrad days, but it is still a black mark on my application.  My PGS-D application was forwarded to NSERC for the past 2 years and I was first on the wait list last year.  This is my final year for eligibility, so I'm hoping my other credentials and proposal negate doing poorly in a few course 10 years ago.

Supervisors always want students with their own funding (free labour), especially in the current research funding climate.  But you may be able to find someone with money who is willing to take you on, it happened to me twice.  You just have to have the special something that sets you apart and makes them have faith in you and believe you will be productive.

Don't give up!

Agreed with this advice.

For MSc without funding (which is hard to get in the first place), you just need a little luck to find that professor with extra funding who's willing to take a chance on you. Don't give up, it's like online dating but with research. 

Snowshoes: I'm in the same situation as you. This is my last year to try for a PGS/CGS-D. I am so glad that my MSc and PhD supervisors were willing to take me on despite me not having super high grades or a scholarship.

Canadian_Lynx: There are probably supervisors out there who will take you without NSERC, but you will have to look for a supervisor with stable funding. I have a feeling that someone will see your full time work in consulting as an asset. Supervisors mostly want someone who can work independently, problem solve, and produce a high quality product efficiently. You job might speak to that more than good grades would. The only other thing that I would add is that supervisors who take on a student without funding often like to know the student somewhat before they agree to take you on. If you are really interested in a certain supervisor try to have lunch with them and ask if they have any research assistant positions in the lab. Demonstrating your competence by working together may be a better guarantee for graduate funding than slightly better grades. Bosses don't like to loose good workers.  

Congratulations to everyone who received positive notice regarding their NSERC applications for this year.

I applied for a CGS-M, and have received one no from one university department about moving my application forward, but am still waiting to hear back from the other university adjudicating my application (to put forward to the next level)....

I've been advised (by a representative of the Uni that said no) that in order to increase my prospects of landing an NSERC, I should consider taking another FULL YEAR of FULL TIME courses... 18 credits. This could be possible through online courses (about 9 credits worth) through BCIT, and some summer classes at UBC... I could probably do them all between April and August - but would have to either go down to severe part-time with my job, or just quit it entirely....

I work full-time right now at a consulting agency, am 28, and this just seems... ridiculous to me?

Is it basic practice/knowledge that I won't be able to get into a MSc program without an NSERC? most of the profs I have been corresponding with have been inquiring whether I have applied for funding, and it seems their interest in contigent upon my winning or having an NSERC already...

Did anyone else encounter this?

For a bit of background:

I have a BSc in Animal Biology; had some really bad courses (about 4-5) out of all of them, and they brought my GPA down... I think I was at 80% for my last full-year of school, and the year before that something around a 76%. It sucks, because within those years I have some of the best grades (even got the top score in one of my classes)... But whatever, the past is past, and now I have to deal with this situation.

I am in Vancouver, and my schools of choice were UBC-O (Biology Dept), UNBC (NRES), and UBC-V (Forestry - also Zoology but no one suitable for me)...

I am pretty frustrated with this... I am set up to register as an unclassified student at UBC for this summer, to get some classes if I need them, and I was already sort of planning on taking some GIS courses to increase my skill level - from BCIT, so I guess these would contribute, but... Has anyone else ever experienced this?

I have one co-authorship (4th author), and am working on a section for a position paper which will get me co-authorship as well...

You could also look into an industrial NSERC if you hashed out a project with a potential supervisor and it had the potential for an industrial partnership.

Snowshoes: I'm in the same situation as you. This is my last year to try for a PGS/CGS-D. I am so glad that my MSc and PhD supervisors were willing to take me on despite me not having super high grades or a scholarship.

I'm dying to hear about it.  I'm trying to not get my hopes up too much, but I managed to publish a couple more papers and give a couple more talks since my 2013-2014 applications.  I hope this boosts my chances!

Thanks man for sharing the information, I appreciate it. From your profile, I wouldn't be surprised if you get selected for the Banting too (good luck in that). I also had 14 papers, but the average impact factor is much lower, around 3.5 (in ECE/Physics) and no paper in Nature/Science/PNAS/PRL. But, I am kind of changing the topic from my PhD research (almost jumping more into Physics), and in that field, I guess candidates typically come with PRL/Nature-group papers. In any case, I am in discussion with a potential supervisor, where he might probably pay my salary. However, if I can get the NSERC, it will probably make life easier, but if not ... C'est la vie  :)  (Hopefully, I will still be in a better position than several billion ppl on earth) ...

Thanks, but pfffft.  I don't think I have a very good chance - Banting seems to go to later career postdocs (I'm <6 months into my first postdoc).  I will let you guys know when I find out, but there's still no news on the Banting front.  Be sure to update us on your wait list status!

Sometimes, I think there's also quite a bit of luck to grant applications and/or a bit of who reads your application and how much they like your writing/proposed research.  I see a lot of people with similar CVs and good proposed project land on either side of funding decisions, so I can only assume it's a result of their writing or luck.

Speaking of luck, good luck to all of the MSc/PhD applicants this year.

NSERC MSc awards do count undergrad grades quite heavily, so if your only goal in life was to get NSERC, then yes, this is good advice.  However, I imagine you have other things to do with your time. Budgets are tight in a lot of research groups, so they would prefer to hire NSERC funded students.  Unfortunately, some groups cannot afford to hire new students at all, unless they bring their own funding.  I agree with Jungshin - it is a bit like dating.  I'd suggest meeting a few more profs and asking whether they could take you without NSERC if you are willing to TA - play the field.  If you are dead set on (head over heals in love with?) a particular lab and they don't have the funding, then you might have to wait until next year.  I think a lot about what I will like my lab to be like (if I am ever so lucky/successful to start my own research group!) and I would definitely be interested in a student who has some consulting/outside university experience, since they would bring an interesting new perspective to the group.  I think you will find a good fit eventually.

I got my letter this week. I'm on a short waitlist for a PDF.

From Gira's link on pg 1 (post #4), there are typically ~30 of these awards declined per year, and ~50 subsequent awards offered (2011, 2012 numbers), so hope remains.

Edited by WeighingIn

Lol anyone know who actually reads the research proposal? I am kinda scared if they make people from my department to read it because I BS'd a lot of things, I had no time and I thought that not applying for NSERC raises eyebrows.

Lol anyone know who actually reads the research proposal? I am kinda scared if they make people from my department to read it because I BS'd a lot of things, I had no time and I thought that not applying for NSERC raises eyebrows.

The applications are usually ranked by the departments before the are ranked University-wide. The departmental committee ranked them in the 2 - 3 week period after the deadline back in the fall. If your application was forwarded to NSERC then obviously nobody caught your BS (yay?). It's ok if the research plan isn't what you end up doing. However, it is important not to mislead them about your credentials or experiences. So, I hope that your BS was limited to your research ideas! 

The applications are usually ranked by the departments before the are ranked University-wide. The departmental committee ranked them in the 2 - 3 week period after the deadline back in the fall. If your application was forwarded to NSERC then obviously nobody caught your BS (yay?). It's ok if the research plan isn't what you end up doing. However, it is important not to mislead them about your credentials or experiences. So, I hope that your BS was limited to your research ideas! 

LOl it is, on NSERC it said "forwarded to admin" for all of them. I am not dumb enough to put false experience or credentials. Funny thing is, one of my supervisor said the proposal was very impressive. My jaws jumped when she told me that.

Well, it's the end of a long road for me: I ran into my grad admin today and was told I received a PGS2 (they had received the email today)!

I can't believe I was disappointed that it was a PGS and not a CGS, but I'm happy I finally got something from NSERC.  Who knows, maybe I'll get bumped to a CGS this summer :)

Good luck to everyone and don't give up!

Thanks! Yes, it seemed quit early to hear about this.  Maybe the letters will be sent in the next couple weeks?

I would rather have been told officially, but this saves me a month or so of anxiety and checking the mail compulsively (I already started to do this last week!).

It was also my last year to apply.  My application has been forwarded for three years and I was on the wait list last year, so I am happy that I finally made it.

I wish you the best of luck!

Congratulations Snowshoes!! I am so glad to hear that your persistence was rewarded. 

I wonder if the letters were put in the mail on Friday.

Just like uofmbio, I'll post when I hear anything. 

I've been lurking for the past couple weeks, but since there haven't been many people posting, I thought I would just let people know that my department chair told my PI today that I got a doctoral NSERC. He didn't say if it was CGS or PGS (PGS my guess). So the information is out there! Letters should be on the way or about to be put in the mail. Good luck everyone else!

My letter arrived to my Ontario address today as well. PGS-D2. It is almost a bitter-sweet feeling after not getting it the past 2 tries. Congrats and good luck to everyone else.

Congrats!  I know exactly what you mean about it the bitter-sweet feeling.

Hi all,

My letter arrived on Monday, March 24th for a CGS-D3 :). I was pretty stunned, still can't believe it. I know that my colleague hasn't gotten a letter yet, so the PGS offers haven't been sent yet in Ottawa. Good luck to all.