Need advice. Non-traditional student with LOR writer issues.

sevenanseven

I am applying to a few Clinical Psychology Ph.D. programs for Fall 2014 admission. I've been out of school for over 10 years and I have hit a brick wall with getting two of three letters. I contacted a few of my former undergrad professors and only one was willing to write a letter of recommendation for me. The other two politely declined, explaining that it's been too long, the letters from them wouldn't be beneficial to my application, etc. I'm glad they were honest, but it's frustrating nonetheless.

So with two rejections, I've decided to turn my attention to professional references. I have a solid work history from 2000-present. With the exception of one, all of the jobs I've had have been in unrelated fields to psychology. I worked for a psychiatrist back in 2003 and 2004, so I attempted to contact him via email, in hopes of getting a solid professional reference. I don't know if his email address is working (it wasn't returned undeliverable), or if it went to spam, but it's been over 2 weeks and I havent heard back. I hesitate to call his office phone, because its set up to voicemail and he's inundated with patient calls, etc.

I thought maybe I'd be better off sending him a letter via postal mail, asking if he'd be comfortable writing the letter. Would that be okay to do? I live in another state, over 1500 miles away, and I haven't talked to him in person since 2004. I'm not sure what the etiquette would be in this situation.

What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance.

I say send the letter and be sure to get one of those return receipt things so you know it arrives.  Then follow up via phone in a week, never mind if you just get voice mail.  If he has an assistant you can also try reaching out that way. 

If he agrees that only gives you 2 of 3 letters right?  Have you done any community service projects within any clinical population?  "Clinical population" is broadly defined so you have a lot of flexibility here.  I have never ever had trouble getting letters from volunteer projects because they figure its the least they can do since you work for free.  Did you do any research/interning post undergrad?  If so perhaps you can reach out to someone there.  Oh what about teaching or tutoring experience?  That could work in a pinch.

I would not go with a LOR from an unrelated job, but others may have different opinions.

I'm not sure I would send a return receipt letter -- that seems pushy to me. A reference letter needs to be willingly written (ideally enthusiastically), or it won't be worth much. I would also be concerned about asking someone for a letter when I have not been in contact with that person for a decade. They have no knowledge of who you are now. I was in a similar position a few years ago, and I never even considered asking people from my last academic experience (~10 years earlier). Instead, I formed new relationships with academics, both at a local CC and at a local state U. It took a few years, but I was also able to show that I could perform well academically (still) and that I was up-to-date in at least SOME areas. I did not have the option of work colleagues writing for me, but you might be able to get one letter from that. I am not suggesting what I did is the only way to manage this issue, or even the best way. I was specifically told at one interview I was invited to that my "unknown" letter writers would probably be seen as too much of a negative by the admissions committee as a whole for me to be accepted, despite the fact that some people on the committee supported my application.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your advice. I ended up mailing the letter and heard back from his assistant within a week. He is going to write the letter, albeit a professional one. I'm not too particular though, because I had a good rapport with him and am confident his will be a positive letter,

I now fulfilled my three LOR requirements : Two professional and one academic, all from good sources. I'm so relieved this part of the application process is over!!! :)