Do I still have any chances on graduate school?

pirulila

I'm from Puerto Rico, so to begin with I'm not sure if I'm consider an international student or not, it is a US territory so we do have US citizenship, but English is not the first language. I study at Puerto Rico's most important university, but it is also popular for all its strikes, I actually lost one semester because of a strike that went on for about 5-6 months. I'm a physics mayor, with a minor in foreign languages (Idk why I did that lol) I'm core physics courses my GPA is about 3.4-3.5, but my general GPA is a little bit higher than 3.0, I took my GRE today and I totally freaked out and left half a math section blank, I did terribly, and in the verbal reasoning I just suck so I'm definitely taking it again in 4 weeks, but I know for a fact that my verbal reasoning is not going above 50%. I have support for recomendation letter from the best professor of my university, and I have decent reasearch experience in nanotechnoly app to medicine. I'm very interested in Biophysics or as a secondary choice, Bioengineering but I don't know what my chances are (if any) or if I should settle with another program. 

That sounds like a long shot for either of those types of programs. But a strong research background, statement of purpose, and letters of recommendation can offset low test scores. Generally speaking GPA and GRE are more like thresholds--get beyond a certain level and you'll be OK, below and your application may be chucked without ever being looked at. Where that cutoff lies depends on the program.

Edited by Usmivka