saturday was not the day ifailed the gre

powerlifterty16

That's true, there may be grad applicants in the mix too, but I'm stubborn, and im going to try for the phd.  just bought all 8 manhattan books and im retaking the gre. Hopefully they leave me the f alone during my test lol.

At least you didn't have barking dogs and classic rock music blaring from the thin walls.  I should be demanding a refund as well.  Beware of Manhattan's lame book on text completions.  There are multiple low frequency words in this book.  Otherwise their books are good.  It's hard to get good verbal practice.  I found Magoosh and Kaplin the closest approximations.     

Edited by awells27

At least you didn't have barking dogs and classic rock music blaring from the thin walls.  I should be demanding a refund as well.  Beware of Manhattan's lame book on text completions.  There are multiple low frequency words in this book.  Otherwise their books are good.  It's hard to get good verbal practice.  I found Magoosh and Kaplin the closest approximations.     

I got the whole manhattan series for 43 bucks through chegg, and I think right now im capable of 160 wthoutdistractions, so hopefully the verbal book can atleast ensure i get tthat if not 162....math id be happy with 156.

I hope you dont think im being unfair by demanding a retest. If you do, all I can say to you is that I think you should have demanded one too. that kind of shit is not acceptable, and has caused me too much stress!

I got the whole manhattan series for 43 bucks through chegg, and I think right now im capable of 160 wthoutdistractions, so hopefully the verbal book can atleast ensure i get tthat if not 162....math id be happy with 156.

I hope you dont think im being unfair by demanding a retest. If you do, all I can say to you is that I think you should have demanded one too. that kind of shit is not acceptable, and has caused me too much stress!

Actually, I totally support your demand for a refund, although in my case I think they should add one point to my verbal score, which would land me in the next percentile.  I would seriously consider, since you got a discount on the Manhattan series, buying their 5lb book.  You can do the exercises under timed conditions after completing the smaller books.  Many test takers believe that book has helped their scores.  

i went to see my old counselor today, and he told me I should complain also. I sent the email to the advocacy team at ets so now it's in their hands.

yeah the 5 pound book would be nice to have, but honestly, I need to take this test by the middle of november, and the thought of reading these 8 books alone is making me unnerved lol.

So I know the verbal books from manhattan get bad reviews, but worst case is they wont help right? They cant hurt me right?

i went to see my old counselor today, and he told me I should complain also. I sent the email to the advocacy team at ets so now it's in their hands.

yeah the 5 pound book would be nice to have, but honestly, I need to take this test by the middle of november, and the thought of reading these 8 books alone is making me unnerved lol.

So I know the verbal books from manhattan get bad reviews, but worst case is they wont help right? They cant hurt me right?

You don't have to do every problem in the eight books.  The main thing is that you understand the instruction parts and do the problems that are GRE stlye.  Some of the problems are ones you would never see on the real GRE, as they are exceedingly fundamental.  I personally think the text completion/Sentence equivalence book is useless.  It may even stultify your confidence.  The Reading Comp is too detailed, but the essay section is quite good.  For verbal, I would study the Kaplin/Barron's 1589 word list, or Magoosh's 1000 word list, or Manhattan's 1000 word list, all available on quizlet for free.  Then download the Kaplin book.  If you don't have it, go to Barnes and Noble, grab it off the shelf, and use it at the cafe to supply the right info when you are on Kaplin's website.  Then you will have ten practice verbal sets and like 5 practice tests.  Do them under timed conditions.  The five pound book, normally around question 20 of each math section, gives you GRE style questions.  Then pray before you take the test, since you are taking on evil face to face.    

Edited by awells27

i actually ahve the kaplan 2013 book, but didnt like it.

i also hav studied all 1000 words from magoosh, and am going to review them 5 days before the test to make sure im good with them. I agree that the instruction is the important part, i jsut get lazy when it comes to reading, but i have a decent amount of time. Im going to devote 2 days to each book...prob start studying monday. Ive already read the algebra book, and most of the geometry, but im going to reread them anyway...i dont have anything to lose. i just hope i gget a good essay topic. the essay sections went well when i took the test. I finished both early. The issue  i have is  i type fast and make a lot of typos so i need to be sure to finish up 5 mins early to correct them all.

im most likely not going to do a lot of practice problems though...but may consider doing another practice test. I felt pretty comfortable with the test format tbh. I finished everything on time, except the last math because the employee was really bothering me....so had to guess on 2 that  iprob would have answered right.

I did not like the Kaplin book either, but the online resources of ten practice verbal sections and 5 practice tests are invaluable.  Their math, unfortunately, is easier than GRE on test day.  

Manhattan and Magoosh give much harder Data questions than the real GRE I encountered.  I doubt I got one data question wrong.  My problem was certain types of math questions for which I saw no examples on any of the practice resources, including ETS.  

yeah i meant the actual test nott he practice test. data analysis questions are quite simple.

I was lucky with my Aw essays too, one of the topics was one i could relate to..the other wasnt bad although im not sure if i truly understood the question...so i either got a really good score or  i got  a 0 for not writing on the issue ha.

im surprised maggoosh didnt have an example for every ,math problem..they seem pretty on the ball.

what score did u get?

164V/160Q/6AW.  Verbal and Quant scores missed the next percentile ranking by one point.  Magoosh had an example on their blog of a factorial fraction with subtraction on it.  They said you would never get a question like that on the real GRE, so why explain it.  I got exactly that type of question on the GRE, so I have to thank them for their insight.  I studied all summer just to get those scores.  With the AW grade, there is no way I'd take the test over as a humanities candidate.  Only schools off the table are ones I would not have applied to:  Harvard, Princeton, Yale, etc.  

You should be getting an email about your scores any day now.  I got mine in 8 days.  Keep up hope on the writing, as I blew the directions on the first prompt and still got a 6, but I think my grader must have been high on something.  

Edited by awells27

164V/160Q/6AW.  Verbal and Quant scores missed the next percentile ranking by one point.  Magoosh had an example on their blog of a factorial fraction with subtraction on it.  They said you would never get a question like that on the real GRE, so why explain it.  I got exactly that type of question on the GRE, so I have to thank them for their insight.  I studied all summer just to get those scores.  With the AW grade, there is no way I'd take the test over as a humanities candidate.  Only schools off the table are ones I would not have applied to:  Harvard, Princeton, Yale, etc.  

You should be getting an email about your scores any day now.  I got mine in 8 days.  Keep up hope on the writing, as I blew the directions on the first prompt and still got a 6, but I think my grader must have been high on something.  

those are impressive scores. What worries me is if i got a 6 on aw, and then i retook the test and scored lower can  i just send the sections  i scored better on? I checked ets and dont see an option for that.

i sent my scores to princeton ha....and would have sent them to harvard had there been an option on the screen. i wasnt expecting that  i could send my scores to 4 schools so just did those..and then two schools  i had a shot at...one my undergrad, and another one that's ranked lower than undergrad but is a private school.

i made sure to use gre words though....one word  i used was insouciant :P

Ha Ha, insouciant was on many practice tests but not the real test.  On my verbal test the vocab was dreadfully easy but the sentences were completely convoluted, so convoluted that if I wrote them I would fail any paper on the graduate level.  Here's the thing, if you got a 6 on AW, you could probably score a 5 (93rd percentile) at least if you took the test over in order to raise your other scores.  If you get less than a 6, then you take the test over anyway.  It's good to use some GRE words a few times on the essay.  I think I used suzerainty for describing an imperialist take-over, obviate, and fledlging for some phenomenon that was just getting started.  The GRE is so stupid.

Ha Ha, insouciant was on many practice tests but not the real test.  On my verbal test the vocab was dreadfully easy but the sentences were completely convoluted, so convoluted that if I wrote them I would fail any paper on the graduate level.  Here's the thing, if you got a 6 on AW, you could probably score a 5 (93rd percentile) at least if you took the test over in order to raise your other scores.  If you get less than a 6, then you take the test over anyway.  It's good to use some GRE words a few times on the essay.  I think I used suzerainty for describing an imperialist take-over, obviate, and fledlging for some phenomenon that was just getting started.  The GRE is so stupid.

Well i would be happy with a 5. I dont really care about a 6. I wouldnt take the test over if my verbal/quant were fine, but i got a 5 or even a 4.5. So if i score worse on AW or verbal//quant, but better on one section, can i just send that section or do i have to send it all?

Well i would be happy with a 5. I dont really care about a 6. I wouldnt take the test over if my verbal/quant were fine, but i got a 5 or even a 4.5. So if i score worse on AW or verbal//quant, but better on one section, can i just send that section or do i have to send it all?

You cannot pick and choose parts of a score. You must pick the score associated with the particular day you took the test.

Say you take the test on Monday and receive scores for the 3 sections of the test.

Then you take the test on Friday and received scores for the 3 sections of the test. You can only choose to send scores associated with either Monday or Friday, not pick a certain score from Monday's test and certain scores from Friday's test. Either Monday or Friday, not an amalgamation.

I wouldn't go so far as to say your achievements don't make you competitive, I just think that you need to be aware of what you're competing with and find an angle to make your application stand out. So, if you're grades aren't in the 3.8-4.0 range,

Thought you were an english major :P(I'm only messing, I'm just bored at 3am with a  cold, and looking for something to do ha).