Question about 'Writing Sample' for engineering grad schools

newlyadmit13

Hi there,

I have finally started my 2014 Fall applications. One of the schools I am applying asks a ''writing sample'', an SOP, Personal Statement letters plus Resume.

I am just so confused about it all. It is too much work to do and my time is so limited.

For those who have experience with 'writing sample', I appreciate your giving any of your advice/input.

I have a paper published, it is not a very original work, it's research but finding different results from those who did the similar work in the literature. I am wondering whether it is a good idea to 'copy-paste' that published paper as a 'writing sample'.

I also have some ideas/projects that I want to do. Besides, I worked on 2 more different projects, but the proposals do not belong to me. I am wondering how I can put it all into the writing sample.

Also, that published paper is one chapter of my MS thesis, is it still a good idea to mention about other work in my thesis?

Is there any cover letter for the 'writing sample'?

Please advice, I appreciate all your input.