Paul and Daisy Soros Fellowship for New Americans - 2014/15

Yellow Magnet

Actually, after my post I went to seek out more information. And the competition is crazy! ~1000 applications with ~30 scholars. And virtually all of them have been accepted into top tier universities or have graduated from one and studying at another. I think I'll have to get my profile up before I apply. Hopefully I'll get into a prestigious university this year, and then apply to have my second year funded.

• 3 weeks later...

The one thing I've learned from all these application process is to never count yourself out.

But the lack of guide material on this fellowship is pretty annoying. Unlike NSF, it's a bit more difficult to pin down on what they want.

submitted yesterday, now its the waiting game... As an arts applicant I was so confused at times.  And I didn't realize until i called them just two days ago that i could submit a CD of images and had to overnight my items to NYC. 

Yeah, that was confusing. I didn't realize until too late that we could send a CD in. Though, I included some examples of work in the exhibits section. I feel like for me it's a shot in the dark anyway, especially after reading past fellows' bios, but who knows. When do we find out about interviews?

Yeah, that was confusing. I didn't realize until too late that we could send a CD in. Though, I included some examples of work in the exhibits section. I feel like for me it's a shot in the dark anyway, especially after reading past fellows' bios, but who knows. When do we find out about interviews?

So your applying for second year funding? If you dont mind, What school are you at now? 

I'm worried that my extra reference that was my 'academic' one didnt get hers in on time.  I've been out of school for a while, so my three primary references were professional.

I believe that we find out about interviews sometime in december, based on my research around here and on the internet from previous applicants.  

Yeah, I'm applying for funding for my second year (if you want to talk specific programs, feel free to pm me). I dropped the ball on researching scholarships during my grad application process, partly b/c I honestly didn't think I wasn't going to get into school on my first try. I have also been out of school for some time, and one of my letters was a professional reference, though from a completely different field. I just hope my strange background isn't a weakness!

Edited by lady rainicorn

@TallLatte, I applied and haven't received any confirmation email. I've applied to this one before, and I got the rejection email Jan 4th 2013 for last year's cycle, and the previous year, nothing at all =\

Nope, I also haven't received an "application received" email yet either.

@obot, two years ago you didn't receive any notification at all with regards to your final status??? Yikes, that's terrible! Eee, come on interview invites for all of us this year!!

• 2 weeks later...

I got a confirmation email late last night saying:

'This is to confirm that we have received your application for the 2014 Paul and Daisy Soros Fellowship competition. Your application has met the eligibility requirements and is being evaluated. We will contact you in the first week of January to give you an update on your status.'

anyone else?

• 5 weeks later...