Ford Fellows Open

MrRoots

Hey All,

Some of you may be interested in this: http://sites.nationalacademies.org/pga/fordfellowships/

I was interested but it seems like one of the required criterion (for the predissertation fellowship) is that the applicant must be a from an undeserved demographic...is my reading of this wrong?  For some reason I thought I knew people that didn't fit this description who have been awarded this fellowship.

I was interested but it seems like one of the required criterion (for the predissertation fellowship) is that the applicant must be a from an undeserved demographic...is my reading of this wrong?  For some reason I thought I knew people that didn't fit this description who have been awarded this fellowship.

The "undeserved demographic" comment seemed a bit humorous. Being a member of an underrepresented demographic is one of the optional components, but they are given higher priority for the fellowship. Applicants not a member of an underrepresented demographic are also eligible.

I was mistaken...its the 'Predoctoral' fellowship not the dissertation one.

Applications for all three (Predoctoral, Dissertation, and Postdoctoral) should be open now.

Edited by Pauli

• 1 month later...

Has anyone considered asking someone at the institution they've listed for the fellowship to write them a letter of recommendation? I have a professor stating interest in my project (if I were to receive the fellowship), but this professor is not familiar with me or my work.

Has anyone considered asking someone at the institution they've listed for the fellowship to write them a letter of recommendation? I have a professor stating interest in my project (if I were to receive the fellowship), but this professor is not familiar with me or my work.

This is not an unusual situation for pre-dissertation applicants. What you need to do is provide candidate reference letter writers your resume/CV and a report describing your academic situation, such as classes you took, your academic relationship to the reference letter writer, any research you've done, what your future plans are, your research interests, etc.

Great; thanks! This is what I've done for other such applications, but I just wanted to make sure. Sorry, everyone, but I have another question .. what is the proper way to enter the proposed institution? As a doctorate degree even though it is not even started, much less earned? ETA: Never mind. I found it.

Edited by Aspireperspireinspire

Does anyone know if it is acceptable to use a font besides Times New Roman? I know that it has to be 12 point.

It's stated in the Uploads document at the application website: http://sites.nationalacademies.org/PGA/FordFellowships/PGA_046607

You might want read all the instructions material, since everything you'll need to know is listed. If you don't submit it in the correct way, your application won't be reviewed.

ARGH, just finished my application materials... will be getting up early to review and submit. How much did you guys hate the two-page limits?!

They were absolute torture! But I guess it was for the best, as I will be using a version of my Ford Personal Statement as a diversity statement for some schools.

They were absolute torture! But I guess it was for the best, as I will be using a version of my Ford Personal Statement as a diversity statement for some schools.

ME TOO! And thank goodness for that!

Did you (or anyone else out there) use citations for your research proposal? I had three, and they took up so much dang space that I left those single-spaced... I spent hours just trying to cut down my material, but each remaining sentence became more and more crucial to the point I was trying to make. Ugh. Has me stressed. I've been reading in the past Ford Fellowship threads how strict they are with though formatting guidelines. Hopefully they're at least a little lenient for citations... : (

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know about or have any ideas about the Verification form for those who have already begun PhD work? Specifically, it wants to know about what projects and research you intend to work on over each of the subsequent 3 academic years? What is that supposed to look like? Like, what counts as a project and how is that different from research? And how should this be different from the Graduate Study Plans 2-page essay turned in on the 20th? ANY help would be really appreciated...

I applied for the pre-doctoral portion - they just wanna know bout coursework. Which one did you apply to? 

Edit - I went back and read the sheet, sorry bout that.  I was just going to fill out the coursework I planned to undertake and considered doing some literature reviews but...as for research plan, my advisor is supposed to help me out on this sheet. I think its different if you plan to undertake research that is not part of your dissertation. 

Edited by iampheng

I have no idea what everyone is talking about - predoctoral and coursework. What is everyone talking about? Is this if you have already started your doctoral degree but still have three or four years left?

There are three types of Ford Foundation Fellowship awards:

• Pre-Doctoral: For incoming and first-year doctoral students.
  • Doctoral: For doctoral students already in candidacy and finishing their last year.
  • Post-Doctoral: For post-doctoral students.

The applicants discussing in this thread have primarily been the pre-doctoral ones. They tend to be optimistic and energetic. The applicants in the other other categories have not been as talkative because the spark in their eyes have already disappeared from the devastating battles they fought throughout their PhD years.

Aspireperspireinspire, it's because of the application's second deadline for the Pre-Doctoral and Doctoral for the supplementary deadline on January 9. I know that for Doctoral students, they have two items for the supplementary materials deadline: reference letters and verification of doctoral candidacy. I'm guessing the pre-doctoral applications have their own supplementary materials.

• 2 months later...

I applied for the pre-doc one. For some reason, I'm not very anxious. I think it's because mine's was a long shot application  :unsure: or at least I consider it to be. I applied as a first year student. However, I'm sure I will be disappointed if I don't get it lol but I'm certainly not hedging and bets or making any plans that include this funding source.