Ford Fellows Open

MrRoots

Oh man. I have such a history with applying for the Ford. My 1st year as a PhD student I applied for the pre-doc fellowship and was given Honorary Mention (whatever that's worth!). My 2nd year I again applied for the pre-doc fellowship and was an ALTERNATE. Oh the heart break. Of course no one is going to decline this kind of funding. This time I'm applying for the dissertation one. 3rd time's the charm? Here's hoping.

Luckily, all the previous years I was able to find funding through other fellowships. Already got bad news from the Spencer yesterday. That leaves all my hopes on the Ford, AERA, or AAUW. *crosses fingers*

I already told my advisor I'll try again also lol

Wait, so we hear back in April right? I've applied for the FLAS to get summer funding...which I'm sure is announced in April too. 

I thought about the Ford again today.  Still a few weeks to hear back.  I suppose the suspense is starting to build a bit.  I'm not gonna lie: it sure we be sweet to get this (pre-doc) fellowship.  I'm sure that all who applied are wildly competitive though.  Good luck all.

Here's hoping.

I wish they had a definitive date for notification either way. I applied for the Pre-doc and it would nice to join the ranks of scholars who are Ford Fellows. I have adequate funding from my potential programs but this money would be nice also!

I agree with you! Good luck to all of us!

So I just got word that a friend received an acceptance for the Ford Dissertation fellowship. I won't say their field but I'll say its in the humanities. Congrats to my friend but I'm still waiting for a yes or a no and its driving me crazy! Also: This notification is way earlier than in other years. Decisions usually don't roll out until the first or second week in April. It may be different for the dissertation fellowships. 

The ford fellowship selection meetings took place March 10-12 so our fates are sealed by now anyway. I just wish they'd hurry up and get the notifications over with! 

I received an offer for the pre-doc award yesterday. Not sure if they send out all of the award offers at the same or if it's split up at all by discipline? Good luck to everyone else who applied!

They email ppl on Fridays  :angry: ...I happen to be a Monday - Thursday snob. I wish someone from the social sciences would comment. But I don't really understand the discipline division. For some reason alphabetical order makes more sense. Actually, if we think about - they are only emailing 60 PEOPLE to offer awards, right? That's doable in one day if there is an email template. 

Is this your first application season?  :)

I'd be curious to know if anyone has received any other type of notification letter other than acceptance. 

Edited by i.am.me

I think they send out notifications Fridays because they probably don't want to answer phone calls from people freaking out over not knowing whether they got it or not. The offices are closed weekends so I bet all those calls just go unanswered. 

Last year it took about 3 weeks for all the decisions to roll out. I remember hearing friends not getting a decision until at least late april. Not sure why that is but it definitely had nothing to do with alphabetical order. 

Yesterday I told a prof who was a reader this year that a friend of mine already got a notification. This professor says it is odd because they only met to read apps last week. My Prof was a little surprised that the decision was released so early and suggested that maybe a reader leaked the info but in the last 24 hours I've heard of 3 people I know getting notification for the dissertation award and 1 for the predoctoral award who have all won. 

The idea of waiting another week makes me more anxious.

Congrats to BioChick77  :)

oy. i really wish they would wait until they had EVERYTHING prepared and then sent all notifications out on the same day. it would help with the anxiety and guessing game being played for sure! And I hope it's not alphabetical since I'm Anthropology and haven't heard anything :/

ROFL WOW!

... So I went to the Ford Fellowship webpage and clicked on the link for the 2013 roster (2014 isn't "there" yet). On a whim, I changed "2013" to "2014" in the URL. APPARENTLY they have a partial list already up!! Can someone confirm I'm not hallucinating? So far they have 19/60 predoc and *edited, sorry* 15/36 dissertation posted, and 4/24 post-doc posted */edit*. I'll post below in case they take it down haha!

http://nrc58.nas.edu/FordFellows20/ExtRpts/PressReleaseRoster.aspx?RptMode=AW&CompYr=2014&Layout=wwwLibs%2fUtil_Web%2fPageLayouts%2fApplPrintLayout

Press Release

Ford Foundation Fellowships Scholar Award List - 2014 The following 38 outstanding scholars have been awarded fellowships in the 2014 Ford Foundation Fellowship Programs competition administered by the National Research Council of the National Academies. The programs seek to increase the diversity of the nation’s college and university faculties by increasing their ethnic and racial diversity, to maximize the educational benefits of diversity, and to increase the number of professors who can and will use diversity as a resource for enriching the education of all students.

Applicant Name Institution Name Field of Study   Predoctoral Competition - 19 individuals   Anyiwo, Nkemka University of Michigan-Ann Arbor Developmental Psychology   Arrizon-Palomera, Esmeralda Cornell University-Central Office English Literature   Bermudez, Rosie Cano University of California-Santa Barbara Ethnic Studies   Castillo, Mario Alberto University of California-Berkeley Archaeology   Chavarria, Karina Alejandra University of California-Berkeley Environmental Engineering   Cruz, Cristina Elizabeth Texas A&M University Sociology   Dunnavant, Justin Peyton University of Florida Archaeology   Fletcher, Erin Melissa Harvard University Biomedical Science   Hawthorne, Camilla Alice University of California-Berkeley Geography   Johnson, Benjamin Cornell University Evolutionary Biology   JONES, BRIAN PATRICK City University of New York, Graduate Center Education Research   Kagawa-Viviani, Aurora Kealohilani University of Hawaii at Manoa Geography   Lagos, Lorenzo Felipe Columbia University Economics   Leath, Seanna Cade University of Michigan-Ann Arbor Educational Psychology   Medenica, Vladimir Enrique Princeton University Political Science   Reed, Justin Michael Princeton Theological Seminary Religious Studies   Tyrell, Fanita Amincia University of California-Riverside Developmental Psychology   Vann, Burrel James University of California-Irvine Sociology   Vasquez-Salgado, Yolanda University of California-Los Angeles Psychology   Dissertation Competition - 15 individuals   ackerman, edwin federico University of California-Berkeley Sociology   Alicea, Stacey New York University Interdisciplinary Psychology   Baker, Regina Smalls Duke University Sociology   Bonet, Sally Wesley Rutgers University Education Research   Covarrubias, Anthony Joseph Harvard University Biomedical Science   Cruz, Vanessa University of Michigan-Ann Arbor Political Science   de Jesus-Crespo, Rebeca Giselle University of Georgia Environmental Sciences, Biology-based   Garcini, Luz Maria Joint Doctoral Program in Clinical Psychology, SDSU-UCSD Clinical Psychology   Hicks, Mary Ellen University of Virginia History   Ivy, Samuel North Carolina State University-Raleigh Mathematics   Marcelo, Ana Kamille University of California-Riverside Developmental Psychology   McInnis, Jarvis C. Columbia University African-American Literature   Perkins, J. Edmon Lee University of Maryland Mechanical Engineering   Salters, Jasmine Nicole University of Pennsylvania Communication   Sweet, Jameson Robert University of Minnesota-Twin Cities Native American History   Postdoctoral Competition - 4 individuals   Downing, Timothy Lamont Harvard University Bioengineering and Biomedical Engineering   Nelson, Joseph Derrick New York University Sociology and Education   Rincon, Belinda Linn University of California-San Diego Chicano Studies   Velazquez, Jesus M. California Institute of Technology Chemistry  
Edited by rubethecube

You're not crazy.  I just hope it's not the complete list, cuz I"m not on it.  :(

Interestingly, the header text mentions "40 scholars" which the list adds up to.  If that's everyone, it's less than a 3rd of the awardees they've had in past years.

ROFL!!! 

Well, I am not on the list either, but I am super happy that "Education Research" is now on the Predoctoral competition list! Maybe this is the list of people they have notified.

Although I am anxious to hear back...but this is still hilarious.  :P

Oh yeah - I'm sure this is not everyone because I was once told by an awardee that the common problem is that there are so many amazing people and so few slots....sometimes, it is a matter of luck ::shrugs:: thus, we can be sure that all of those slots are going to be filling up.

Edited by i.am.me

You're not crazy. I just hope it's not the complete list, cuz I"m not on it. :(

Interestingly, the header text mentions "40 scholars" which the list adds up to. If that's everyone, it's less than a 3rd of the awardees they've had in past years.

The plot thickens! If you noticed in my original post, the header says 38 and there are 2 fewer names listed- that means the list is being actively updated right now! Something tells me I will be refreshing this link obsessively until predoc is up to 60...

*edit* Well, shit. I just tried the same trick on the Honorable Mentions list and saw both me and my labmate are on there :-/. I'm hoping they made that list first then are scrutinizing it more closely and upgrading to Fellows accordingly, as I didn't get email notification yet of HM. Good luck to all either way!

http://nrc58.nas.edu/FordFellows20/ExtRpts/PressReleaseRoster.aspx?RptMode=HM&CompYr=2014

As of now there are 438 HM predocs and 254 HM dissertation.

*/edit*

Edited by rubethecube

The plot thickens! If you noticed in my original post, the header says 38 and there are 2 fewer names listed- that means the list is being actively updated right now! Something tells me I will be refreshing this link obsessively until predoc is up to 60...

*edit* Well, shit. I just tried the same trick on the Honorable Mentions list and saw both me and my labmate are on there :-/. I'm hoping they made that list first then are scrutinizing it more closely and upgrading to Fellows accordingly, as I didn't get email notification yet of HM. Good luck to all either way!

http://nrc58.nas.edu/FordFellows20/ExtRpts/PressReleaseRoster.aspx?RptMode=HM&CompYr=2014

As of now there are 438 HM predocs and 254 HM dissertation.

*/edit*

I'm not on this list either...lol oh, but I know like 3 people on the list.  I'm sure this one will get update too though LOL

Edited by i.am.me