Ford Fellows Open

MrRoots

I'd love to hear the answer once you do get it sorted out!

Declined the Ford. Here's my thinking:

NSF: You have two reserve years and three tenure years. You can take them in any order. You cannot hold another Federal fellowship (Ford probably doesn't count as one--haven't heard back from them).

Ford: You have two reserve years and three tenure years. You must be tenured your first year but afterward can take years in any order. You cannot be tenured on another "major" fellowship during your Ford tenure years.

Add these rules and the money together, and you get an optimal schedule Year 1 Ford, Year 2-3 NSF, Year 4 Ford, Year 5 NSF, Year 6 Ford.

I'm in my second year. If I have a 6-year PhD it breaks even between taking both and taking NSF only. Less than 6 years and NSF alone is more money, more than 6 and both is more money. I declined the Ford because unless I take 8 years to graduate I will be forfeitting some money. And I feel it's better for someone who just barely didn't get the Ford to have this opportunity, maybe open some doors for them, than for me to waste it like that (I know it would get recycled back into the foundation, but still).

A current undergraduate maybe should take both if the Ford doesn't count as a Federal fellowship. Again, haven't heard back on this point.

Declined the Ford. Here's my thinking:

NSF: You have two reserve years and three tenure years. You can take them in any order. You cannot hold another Federal fellowship (Ford probably doesn't count as one--haven't heard back from them).

Ford: You have two reserve years and three tenure years. You must be tenured your first year but afterward can take years in any order. You cannot be tenured on another "major" fellowship during your Ford tenure years.

Add these rules and the money together, and you get an optimal schedule Year 1 Ford, Year 2-3 NSF, Year 4 Ford, Year 5 NSF, Year 6 Ford.

I'm in my second year. If I have a 6-year PhD it breaks even between taking both and taking NSF only. Less than 6 years and NSF alone is more money, more than 6 and both is more money. I declined the Ford because unless I take 8 years to graduate I will be forfeitting some money. And I feel it's better for someone who just barely didn't get the Ford to have this opportunity, maybe open some doors for them, than for me to waste it like that (I know it would get recycled back into the foundation, but still).

A current undergraduate maybe should take both if the Ford doesn't count as a Federal fellowship. Again, haven't heard back on this point.

That's very nice of you!

Some info regarding the dissertation fellowship, received this by calling in and simply asking about my status:

So I was previously an alternate, not sure how they categorize or partition fields, but I'm in physics. There were basically two slots for my field and both of those that were offered accepted, so no luck for me!

However, I did ask regarding the alternate status, and if it should be placed on your CV. They said they would certainly put "Ford Dissertation Fellowship: Alternate Status, Honorable Mention 2014" as opposed to simply "Honorable Mention" since it is supposed to be a higher honor. Anyway, just wanted to chime in on that since I think it's been a topic of discussion here and in other forums!

Cheers--

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to let everyone know that I called today to ask about my alternate status and the woman on the phone said everyone who would get off the alternate list has heard back already (she didn't even ask me what field or if it was pre/post doctoral, etc). So if you haven't received an email, you won't be getting an award. Sad face.

Edited by geobabe

• 7 months later...