Latin America vs. Middle & South America

tayylr

I have a question on an assignment I am starting & I just wanted to read some responses you may have to it! I need a little help, research isn't working for me for this one. Thanks! 

"Some regional geography books combine Middle America and South America and refer to the region as Latin America. Why does our textbook separate the realm into Middle and South America? Which of these two way to classify the realm do you agree with (make sure you include physical, economic, cultural, and historical criteria to define the realm).?" 

Our book says this, "Sometimes you will see Middle and South America referred to in combination as “Latin” America, alluding to their prevailing Spanish-Portuguese heritage. This is an imperfect regional name, just as “Anglo-America,” a term once commonly used for North America, was also improper. Such culturally based terminologies reflect historic power and dominance, and they tend to make outsiders out of those people they do not represent."

You obviously cannot reduce Latin America to the Spanish/Portuguese heritage.

ALL Latin American countries share more than language; we share a colonial history, religious beliefs, social structures, and geopolitical struggles. Panama, which your book would probably place under "Middle America" (such a weird term, I prefer Central America), was until the beginning of the XXth century part of Colombia, which is South America. This example is very interesting to show the social nature of territory :)

If "Anglo-America" was an improper name for North America, I can only jump to conclusions and say it's because Mexico, traditionally included in the North America category, is not Anglo.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I think that if we talk about the division in geography, then to separate the realm into Middle and South America is appropriate. If to speak from the point of view of cultural studies and ethnology, then the use of the term Latin America is absolutely justified.

• 7 months later...