Because they are conscientious workers who actually know quite a bit about all kinds of fields and are experts their jobs. Decisions are not made by "a random person who knows nothing about the boring technical aspects of what you want to research" who will then look at your SOP and go "Yes.. no.. yes.. no.. no.. no..". Anyway, the more important point is that they also know their limitations in evaluating technical issues and accordingly I think the importance of the "hook" in the SOP for those people might make a difference but I think it's past the point of diminishing returns (=I'd spend my time elsewhere). My larger point is that opening with interesting research questions should do enough to hook professors who are reading the SOP, and for them, too, you should be explaining why your questions are important. I have a professor who will quite literally ask me once in a while "why should I care?," which is actually a really difficult but very important question to answer, if you think about it. This is the question that reviewers of your future papers will ask themselves, and so will grant panels and hiring committees for your future jobs. That's also exactly what you should be talking about in your SOP -- not about nitty-gritty details (at least, not up front). If you explain why we should care about what you study and you ask interesting questions, that should "hook" professors and admissions officers alike. 

But it does happen and no one likes their job all the time either - no one is always fullfilled and no one is always happy doing their job.

Everyone has their "yes, no, no, no, yes, ugh.. no.." days. It's not insulting to say so.

Well, my hook aims toward everyone every day. My group of prereaders - who are now sick of me after the umteenth revision - all agree they like it. None of them seems sure if it's a "proper" SOP, though it answers the prompt Q's, but they know they like it.

It's different. I'm a little different. So i think it'll all work out. One of those "Well, to heck with them if they don't appreciate me.." deals.

Eh, edit: Moreso "Well if they didn't like that, theyd not like my other work, so the school is a poor fit."

But "to heck" was more fun to type out.

Edited by Loric

I've been told, not only by fuzzylogician, but people in my own field who have read my statement, that you want to introduce your proposed area of research/research questions as soon as possible. It is your future trajectory that Professors are interested in, so you should use that as your hook, if you want a "hook." I am still going with a traditional intro and then discussing future research then I trace how my interests developed into future project X by discussing former projects. 

Edited by Cesare

I was writing my scholarship statements last year and I called my son who is gifted in writing and asked how I should do it. His response significantly changed how I approached my statement and I received the department's scholarship as well as the one from the school I was leaving.  He said "mom, just lay it out what you want to do. Clearly state your vision.  Don't play games with it. It's ok if someone doesn't want to participate or fund your clearest explanation but if you cast one that is manipulative or tailored to meet their parameters then it is compromised. And frankly, I thought also. if I cant explain what I want without fear of rejection, then I am not ready to do it anyway. This was a check point.. .

It was a little shaky as I have faith based desires that can be alienating. but I have never been so encouraged and filled with confidence after I found out that I had been given funding and community recognition for my work. .I now know that not everyone will be able to  see the value in what  I feel so strongly about as important, but there will be the right people who look at me and say..we want to help you get that done. 

Edited by alesso

I was writing my scholarship statements last year and I called my son who is gifted in writing and asked how I should do it. His response significantly changed how I approached my statement and I received the department's scholarship as well as the one from the school I was leaving.  He said "mom, just lay it out what you want to do. Clearly state your vision.  Don't play games with it. It's ok if someone doesn't want to participate or fund your clearest explanation but if you cast one that is manipulative or tailored to meet their parameters then it is compromised. And frankly, I thought also. if I cant explain what I want without fear of rejection, then I am not ready to do it anyway. This was a check point.. .

It was a little shaky as I have faith based desires that can be alienating. but I have never been so encouraged and filled with confidence after I found out that I had been given funding and community recognition for my work. .I now know that not everyone will be able to  see the value in what  I feel so strongly about as important, but there will be the right people who look at me and say..we want to help you get that done. 

I agree that putting who you are out there instead of what you think they want to hear is important. There is such a thing as the "wrong grad school" and having to work so closely with people who dont share your ideals, visions, etc.. is going to be nothing but trouble.

I am going to include an excerpt from a book I wrote in my application, part of the portfolio section. I ran the excerpt by some folks on these forums/chat from wildly different areas of study. They essentially lost their minds over what i'd written, how i'd written it, and really disliked my choice of syntax (correct - different, but correct.) Long story short, they hated it. Troubled by their feedback, I went to a friend who is a professional editor - who immediately confirmed their nonsense about my grammar was just that, nonsense. I also ran it past people I know in the field, and they liked it, said it was great, and read fine.

So I stepped back and weighed things. People who I don't want to work with or even have as assigned lab partners telling me it's awful.. and the people I respect telling me it's good.

If the people who don't like it are on the adcomm, oh well, no loss on my part if I don't get in.

I agree that putting who you are out there instead of what you think they want to hear is important. There is such a thing as the "wrong grad school" and having to work so closely with people who dont share your ideals, visions, etc.. is going to be nothing but trouble.

I am going to include an excerpt from a book I wrote in my application, part of the portfolio section. I ran the excerpt by some folks on these forums/chat from wildly different areas of study. They essentially lost their minds over what i'd written, how i'd written it, and really disliked my choice of syntax (correct - different, but correct.) Long story short, they hated it. Troubled by their feedback, I went to a friend who is a professional editor - who immediately confirmed their nonsense about my grammar was just that, nonsense. I also ran it past people I know in the field, and they liked it, said it was great, and read fine.

So I stepped back and weighed things. People who I don't want to work with or even have as assigned lab partners telling me it's awful.. and the people I respect telling me it's good.

If the people who don't like it are on the adcomm, oh well, no loss on my part if I don't get in.

:)  It is a tricky slope.  There is also a humbling aspect as well. While we hold on tightly with a closed fist some elements we need to be able to be teachable in so many others.  The main thing is that we are authentic. Sometimes I am authentic and rejected and it's because I got in the way of my project . Often that is because I am pretty sure I know everything I need to know and I really only want someone to tell me I am wonderful. hah  That's not fun as I realize my ego closed a door rather than opened one.   Your passion is contagious and wow congrats I am not even close to writing a book. I still struggle with anything over 8 pages!!  That discipline is impressive to me even if the whole thing was a mess. I don't have anything I want to say or that I know enough about yet that would fill a book!!  

Edited by alesso