Applying for Neuroscience/Neurobiology Ph.D. programs for Fall 2014

RetJitter

Good luck to everyone! Maybe we'll meet up at interviews; I see a lot of y'all are applying to the same programs as me. 

OH! If anyone else is applying to Chapel Hill, when I called to ask some questions before I submitted my application, the woman who spoke to me told me that they're beginning to review applications for the BBSP this week.

Edited by emguth

Congratz on your first interview. Even i have applied to UNC CH, but till now i have no got messages- Fingers crossed!

Thank you very much! I applied pretty early, so that's probably why I heard back now. I'm sure they'll be reviewing all week! Best of luck =) 

I hate waiting too. Historically, the schools I've applied to should give me a response by the end of December. 

I think I will cry a little bit if I didn't get an interview, and then I shall make more applications.

Best wishes to all.

Haha yea well I won't be too upset about it since it's not wasted (comparatively speaking to beer), but it definitely allows me to be more careful about my selections. 

Nope. no US schools at all. Canada(domestic) and Europe. Trying to keep my mind off these stuff. 

Hey all. Thought I'd finally post, as I've been lurking for the past week or so. I've applied to neuroscience/biomedical sciences umbrella programs and am hoping to specialize in cellular/molecular neuroscience, specifically neurodegeneration and repair. I was surprised to hear back from two schools this week: invited for interviews at UNC-Chapel Hill (BBSP) and Vanderbilt (IGP). I'm holding out for some of the west coast schools, but I am still thrilled to have heard back so soon. I did apply in early/mid November, so that may have something to do with it. Anyway, best of luck to everyone this application season! I'll be checking in these next few weeks.

PHD:

Umass amherst (Developmental)

Wisconsin University of Madison (Biology of Brain and Behavior)

Stony Brook University (Clinical)

UF (Developmental)

Denver University  (Developmental)

Georgetown University (Neuroscience)

Tulsa University (clinical)

Wayne State University (behavioral and cognitive neuroscience)

Minnesota (Developmental)

Nebraska University Omaha (Developmental)

Oregon University (Developmental)

Hi everybody!

emmanuel goldstein,

Are you a local applicant or an international one?

I have applied to Minnesota too, but have different interests. I wonder if there are more here who applied there too. (We talk about University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, right?) 

As far as I know, international applicants compete only amongst themselves. All departments have quotas - 1,2,3 - and they choose between the applicants.

Hi everybody!

emmanuel goldstein,

Are you a local applicant or an international one?

I have applied to Minnesota too, but have different interests. I wonder if there are more here who applied there too. (We talk about University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, right?) 

As far as I know, international applicants compete only amongst themselves. All departments have quotas - 1,2,3 - and they choose between the applicants.

I am local. Yes I am applying at the twin cities campus! Hope you do well.

Congrats imitosis! What are your stats?

Thanks! 

Undergrad: Large public research university

Major: Double major in biology and psychology

GPA: 3.56

Type of Student: Domestic

GRE: 162 V | 163 Q | 5.0 AW

Research Experience:

Summer internship for Dept. of Energy in proteomics lab

1 yr clinical neuroscience research

Summer internship in European neuroscience lab

1 yr cardiology research

Working as a research tech in neuropharmacology lab since graduation (will be 2 yrs next summer)

I currently have one publication in press (a review, second author) and will be middle author on 2+ publications that my lab is preparing now.

Hey imitosis,

This may seem like a dumb question but is this an onsite interview you got or like over phone/skype? 

Both are onsite interviews in January. For both UNC and Vanderbilt it did sound like they are doing rolling interviews and admissions.

Edited by imitosis

On 12/8/2013 at 2:02 AM, Solnce said:

Yeah you are right, most of the universities usually select only 1 to 2 international students. I am an international student and i presume you are one too... so have you got any interview calls and what are the universities you have applied for?

Harvard - Neuroscience

Johns Hopkins - Neuroscience

Duke - Cognitive Neuroscience

UCSD - Cognitive Science

UNC CH - BBSP (Neurobiology)

WashU in St. Louis - Neuroscience

U Chicago- Psychology with Integrative Neuroscience

U Maryland- Neuro and Cognition