Applying for Neuroscience/Neurobiology Ph.D. programs for Fall 2014

RetJitter

I called USC yesterday...I was at the last weekend interview. Ashley said that they've made the decisions and they are processing everything so they can notify applicants. She also said that all applicants get that financial aid email automatically. She said I will hear the decision by the end of the month. I don't know how this makes any sense, considering every other school has a decision deadline of April 15th.

I called and spoke to Ashley last Tuesday and was told that final decisions were already made and we would hear by the end of last week, but have heard absolutely nothing yet. This is very confusing as I was under the impression that the respond by date for most schools in the US was April 15. Was I misinformed about this?

Edited by ScannerBrainly

I called USC yesterday...I was at the last weekend interview. Ashley said that they've made the decisions and they are processing everything so they can notify applicants. She also said that all applicants get that financial aid email automatically. She said I will hear the decision by the end of the month. I don't know how this makes any sense, considering every other school has a decision deadline of April 15th.

I did not receive that email. My interview was by skype, however, maybe that's the reason.

I called and spoke to Ashley last Tuesday and was told that final decisions were already made and we would hear by the end of last week, but have heard absolutely nothing yet. This is very confusing as I was under the impression that the respond by date for most schools in the US was April 15. Was I misinformed about this?

You were not misinformed. Every one of my schools had a April 15 date.

Now that the April 15th deadline has passed, has anyone heard from their school of choice about finances, start date, health care, etc.? When do they start getting back to you? I tried emailing and calling once but no response either time. Though some people on the results page have been complaining about OSU's lack of communication anyway...

As i was rejected from everywhere for a direct PhD in Neuroscience, i have two options right now- 1. Join as a RA and work in a lab for a year or two (but the problem with this is that, being an international student I can't get a RA position anywhere in US). 2. Join a masters program- the issue with this is that i kindda thought i would at least get into any one PhD program, so i dint think about Master early. By March i applied for very few masters program in Europe.

Recently, I have got an admit for the funded (amount not yet decided) cognitive neuroscience masters at University of Trento in Italy. I am not able find many alumnus from this university, but i looked into faculty research and they were pretty, most of them have very good citations. Even Harvard conducts neuroscience summer research program every year at this University. Its raked 1st In Italy (by Times Higher Education).So I would be happy if i get any reviews about the program and the university....in case there are any alumni from this university I would love to talk with you!!

Edited by neuroPravin

As i was rejected from everywhere for a direct PhD in Neuroscience, i have two options right now- 1. Join as a RA and work in a lab for a year or two (but the problem with this is that, being an international student I can't get a RA position anywhere in US). 2. Join a masters program- the issue with this is that i kindda thought i would at least get into any one PhD program, so i dint think about Master early. By March i applied for very few masters program in Europe.

Recently, I have got an admit for the funded (amount not yet decided) cognitive neuroscience masters at University of Trento in Italy. I am not able find many alumnus from this university, but i looked into faculty research and they were pretty, most of them have very good citations. Even Harvard conducts neuroscience summer research program every year at this University. Its raked 1st In Italy (by Times Higher Education).So I would be happy if i get any reviews about the program and the university....in case there are any alumni from this university I would love to talk with you!!

I don't know anything about the program, but I don't think doing a funded masters can hurt. I would go for it.

• 4 months later...