PhD in Industrial Engineering/Operations Research Fall 2014

Industrial-apply

Haha yeah man, his work is awesome, others Denton ><. Are you the undergrad I sat next to during the hockey game? If so, hi!

It's really lame that MIT's weekend is so late. As the top school they're holding up the whole process :[

Yeah, I was the one sitting next to you. I've taken classes with Lee and Denton -- they're both really great.

Not yet, I'm still waiting on Columbia. I guess you and me are in the same boat? Small world, I emailed them and they said the waitlist was pretty short so I'm gonna try and hold out

Yes, I also emailed them. But they have send out many offers, much more than their admission target. So I don't know if I should be optimistic or not. Did you email any professor or staff members? ^^

I finally decided to go to U Mich! From south to north!

Congrats!! I might see you up there!

Yes, I also emailed them. But they have send out many offers, much more than their admission target. So I don't know if I should be optimistic or not. Did you email any professor or staff members? ^^

Ahh, did they say that? :[ Oh well I'm staying positive. Nope, I didn't really email anyone anywhere this admission season, maybe I should have... Did you?

Ahh, did they say that? :[ Oh well I'm staying positive. Nope, I didn't really email anyone anywhere this admission season, maybe I should have... Did you?

Someone who went to campus visit told me about it. I did not contact them. Because I think it is mostly decided by people who got offers, not exactly ourselves. :P

Thanks, look forward for that! Is there any particular reason that you think Columbia is a better program than UMich? except for the location!

Thanks, look forward for that! Is there any particular reason that you think Columbia is a better program than UMich? except for the location!

Oh I definitely don't think its better. I get the impression looking at faculty that there's more of a theoretical bent at Columbia which I suppose is nice but otherwise I'd call them equal. Definitely not the weather, I'd rather be in Ann Arbor ^^. I feel like people get too hung up on winter in MI, in my experience its no worse then winter in the NE. A little colder and snowier but people prepare better, plus summer is just perfect.

Nah, I want to be in nyc for a girl. Foolhardy huh?

I have been rejected from waiting list by UCLA and UC Irvine. I have been accepted to Olin business school at Washington University. Now I should decide between theses schools:

UC San Diego : University Ranking=39, Program Ranking=73 (PhD in Management)

Washington University: University Ranking=14, Program Ranking=20 (PhD in Management)

USC: University Ranking=23, Engineering school Ranking=11 (PhD in Industrial Engineering)

I have shared Us News ranking information with you to help me decide between above choices. UCSD program is a new program at UCSD and I think that a rank of 73 is not logical for it and it will find its place very soon. This was the first year that UCSD was ranked in business schools rankings. Given that UCSD has admitted me for a PhD in Management and its ideal location in California, I am inclined toward accepting its offer.

Now, is my decision correct? Should not I prefer Washington University because of its better ranking? Should not I prefer USC because of its better overall reputation and its good place? I am a little inclined toward a PhD in Management but I am not going to turn USC down if USC is much better! The financial aid offers does not play a significant role here. I prefer to be in California because of its better job market and better environment. The most important thing for me is to find a good job very soon after graduation because I am an international applicant.

Please share your insight . . . .

Edited by samen

Hi Samen,

Congratulations to your achievements so far!

Before giving any advice, I was wondering why you have omitted UVa from your choices!? Its overall ranking is 23, which is very great and the Systems Engineering program in there has many respected faculty...

By the way, if you first decide on Management vs Engineering, your decision making will become much easier. If you want to get a job in the US, you must know the different situation you get with each of those degrees after graduation.

I have been rejected from waiting list by UCLA and UC Irvine. I have been accepted to Olin business school at Washington University. Now I should decide between theses schools:

Washington University: University Ranking=14, Program Ranking=20 (PhD in Management)

USC: University Ranking=23, Engineering school Ranking=11 (PhD in Industrial Engineering)

I have shared Us News ranking information with you to help me decide between above choices. UCSD program is a new program at UCSD and I think that a rank of 73 is not logical for it and it will find its place very soon. This was the first year that UCSD was ranked in business schools rankings. Given the overall reputation of UCSD and its ideal location I am inclined toward accepting its offer.

Now, is my decision correct? Should not I prefer Washington University because of its better ranking? Should not I prefer USC because of its better overall reputation and its good place? I am a little inclined toward a PhD in Management but I am not going to turn USC down if USC is much better! The financial aid offers does not play a significant role here. I prefer to be in California because of its better job market and better environment. The most important thing for me is to find a good job very soon after graduation because I am an international applicant.

I have shared Us News ranking information with you to help me decide between above choices. UCSD program is a new program at UCSD and I think that a rank of 73 is not logical for it and it will find its place very soon. This was the first year that UCSD was ranked in business schools rankings. Given that UCSD has admitted me for a PhD in Management and its ideal location in California, I am inclined toward accepting its offer.

You really don't want that funny US News National University Rankings biases you decision making process! According to that Washington University is ranked higher than UC Berkeley, CMU, UCLA, Cornell, Rice and so on!!!

Since UCSD is not a well-ranked BSchool, it will hardly secure you a good job upon your graduation. Given that, I would choose USC!

You really don't want that funny US News National University Rankings biases you decision making process! According to that Washington University is ranked higher than UC Berkeley, CMU, UCLA, Cornell, Rice and so on!!!

Since UCSD is not a well-ranked BSchool, it will hardly secure you a good job upon your graduation. Given that, I would choose USC!

Yeah I think I would agree.  Plus LA does have an even larger job market than SD (even though they are close).  As long as there is a professor at USC that is working on something you're really interested in (as I personally think that's the MOST important thing).  Also, people can tell me if I'm wrong, but having lived in LA, though UCLA is recognized as a better school, USC is equated with it for the most part in LA.  That won't happen with UCSD.

Hi Samen,

Congratulations to your achievements so far!

Before giving any advice, I was wondering why you have omitted UVa from your choices!? Its overall ranking is 23, which is very great and the Systems Engineering program in there has many respected faculty...

By the way, if you first decide on Management vs Engineering, your decision making will become much easier. If you want to get a job in the US, you must know the different situation you get with each of those degrees after graduation.

I prefer California for many reasons some of which I mentioned but I have no real preference between Management and Industrial Engineering. So, I have crossed UVa because of a better admit from USC. Anyway, what are the different situation we get with each degree?!

Foolhardy, OR PhD or Bust,

Thank you both for your helpful response. I will consider USC offer more seriously and will try to gather more information to decide between UCSD and USC in the following two weeks. If you or anyone else have other relevant information for this decision making I will be grateful . . .

Edited by samen

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Guys,

I have admits from Georgia Tech and UT Austin for MS in Operations Research program. I am interested to go for a job after my masters. From my information, I have high probability of getting a TA from II semester at UT Austin, whereas it is very difficult to get TA/RA at GaTech. Hence, GaTech would cost me three times that of UT Austin for my Masters program.

Considering this, which university is preferable? What distinguishes GaTech from UT Austin when it comes to finding a job? What will the impact of GaTech vs UT Austin brand name in the long run in the professional field and if I want to apply for MBA later on?

Guys please give your valuable opinions in this regard.

• 2 weeks later...

I am in a very unique situation and I dont know what I should be doing. I have two offers to choose from. One is a fully funded PhD in Mgmt from RPI. The other is PhD in industrial engineering and operations research from UT Austin which is not funded. The RPI PhD will take only 4 years to finish. The UT Austin one will take 5 years atleast and I may not have any funding during the first year of studies. UT Austin is very big name. I am not sure how big the name is for RPI. I need to make a decision quickly because I have accepted the offer at RPI and in case I want to decline I need to do it as soon as possible. I am interested in emperical research and I have a professor to work with at RPI. I will be really grateful if one of you could give me any insights on the same.

• 1 month later...

Industrial Engineering at UWashington or Industrial and Operations Research at UMichigan ? Any information about either would be helpful. Thanks !

Industrial Engineering at UWashington or Industrial and Operations Research at UMichigan ? Any information about either would be helpful. Thanks !

UM is more well-known for IE/OR. How have you still not decided where you're attending if you're a fall 2014 applicant?

• 1 year later...