Archaeology applicants?

colorless

Seems like everyone applied to Boston Uni.

For all the Boston Archaeology applicants, I'm curious as to what your thoughts are on future placement. Assuming we get in....which I feel is a HUGE assumption at this point since no one has heard anything from anyone!!...do any of you have misgivings about the fact that we'll be graduating with PhDs in Archaeology, rather than Anthropology? Do you think, or have you been advised, that this will make us any less employable in the future, for those departments looking for four-fields instructors?

For all the Boston Archaeology applicants, I'm curious as to what your thoughts are on future placement. Assuming we get in....which I feel is a HUGE assumption at this point since no one has heard anything from anyone!!...do any of you have misgivings about the fact that we'll be graduating with PhDs in Archaeology, rather than Anthropology? Do you think, or have you been advised, that this will make us any less employable in the future, for those departments looking for four-fields instructors?

Ha I don't think anthropology is good at getting you jobs either but compared to archaeology yeah you might be right. With anthropology you get a holistic education and most schools require you to take general courses from all sub-disciplines. But I gave up all my hopes of finding a job anyway, if I do a PHd it it'll be for the pure joy of it. And no I'm not a billionaire. Plus I'm 30!

Btw whic Brown did you apply? Anthropology or Joukowsky?

I also had my Brown rejection - not surprised by it given the news about the on-campus interview, but still not what you want to hear.

Both colourless and I had applied to Joukowsky.

I'm riding that Brown rejection train as well. I thought I was a pretty good fit, but I didn't even get an interview. Time to reevaluate what I perceive as a "good fit"!

I'm riding that Brown rejection train as well. I thought I was a pretty good fit, but I didn't even get an interview. Time to reevaluate what I perceive as a "good fit"!

I was more than a fit actually, it was a safety school but guess what happened! So sad.

Ha I don't think anthropology is good at getting you jobs either but compared to archaeology yeah you might be right. With anthropology you get a holistic education and most schools require you to take general courses from all sub-disciplines. But I gave up all my hopes of finding a job anyway, if I do a PHd it it'll be for the pure joy of it. And no I'm not a billionaire. Plus I'm 30!

So am I!! And I applied to regular ol' Brown, not the Joukowski. So I'm still twiddling my thumbs and waiting.

If you don't mind me asking, what made you consider it a safety school? 

I don't know, correspondence with POI I guess, but I was wrong. There might be different factors though in their decision.

Anyway let's wait the other 6.

Hi Khannnn, where were you accepted and where are you waiting? As for me, waiting on Yale and BU.

I'm waiting for BU as well (just like everyone else! :) ). I got accepted to UAlbany's PhD program and Brandeis' MA program. Still waiting on Cornell, BU, and UC Riverside.

Hi All,

First time poster here.  I am applying to UK based archaeology PhD programs.  

Melian4 I notice that you are registering an acceptance to Oxford's DPhil - did you apply by the early deadline?  I applied for the Jan 24th and haven't heard anything, just trying to work out if I should stop obsessively checking the results board!

Hi All,

First time poster here.  I am applying to UK based archaeology PhD programs.  

Melian4 I notice that you are registering an acceptance to Oxford's DPhil - did you apply by the early deadline?  I applied for the Jan 24th and haven't heard anything, just trying to work out if I should stop obsessively checking the results board!

Hi NicoleNeolithic,

I applied by the November deadline. Don't worry if you haven't heard anything yet, it's still very early for them. They will probably send out answers around the beginning of March! Where else have you applied in the UK?

Hi NicoleNeolithic,

I applied by the November deadline. Don't worry if you haven't heard anything yet, it's still very early for them. They will probably send out answers around the beginning of March! Where else have you applied in the UK?

That's great, congratulations on the offer!  I wish I had been organised enough to apply by the Nov deadline.  I have applied to Durham, York and Manchester.  I have been accepted to Durham and York, waiting to hear from Manchester.  All contingent on funding of course... the UK system, sigh.