SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2014-2015

Konstantin

Congrats bentharbour!

I just found out that the graduate awards assistant, who normally sends out sshrc-related e-mails, is out on vacation this week.  Now I'm feeling pretty certain that I'll be waiting for a letter.

Congrats bentharbour!

I just found out that the graduate awards assistant, who normally sends out sshrc-related e-mails, is out on vacation this week.  Now I'm feeling pretty certain that I'll be waiting for a letter.

That is cruel. So cruel.

Congrats bentharbour and pbaid!

I'll chime in to say that I was notified that I'm getting a super (CGS) SSHRC! I'm also immensely relieved and humbled by the news.

This was my FOURTH time applying, and my first success, so I've been through the SSHRC app/waiting gauntlet a few times!

Good luck to those still waiting!

Congrats pbaid and surefire!

Surefire, as a member of these forums I know you have been working hard for a few years so I am glad you got the super SSHRC. It seems that the news is trickling out much more this year than past years!

Congrats pbaid and surefire!

I'm jealous of all of you guys based at Canadian schools, not only do I have to wait for the letter as a direct applicant, it takes a bit longer to reach a US address. If the letters are mailed out today, I'm quite certain the situation I've been having nightmares about will come true -- getting the letter just as I'm going into my comprehensive exams on Tuesday, and not knowing whether or not to open it before or after o_O

Edited by Safferz

Congrats everyone!

I wish my department would notify me, though they said they didn't expect to know until I know and that I would be notified by mail, I'm tired of waiting and knowing that others have found out makes me so anxious ><

Found out today that I was waitlisted for OGS so getting SSHRC would be a pretty big relief. (first year applying for ogs, second year applying for doctoral sshrc)

Edited by Nerd_For_Life

Thanks Konstantin! Hoping you receive positive news!

Edit: May I suggest emailing your awards officer? I approached some graduate administrators this morning and they had absolutely no news.

Edited by bentharbour

Congratulations to all the early bird winners! You should all be very proud of your accomplishments! These awards are game changers as we all know.

I called my department today and they are contacting the faculty of grad studies. They said they will also contact sshrc. Sounds like I should find out my fate by the end of the day.

Would the winners care to share their background and institution?

I feel like it would help my sanity to keep track of what schools have notified people - it seems like UVic, Waterloo, Queen's, anywhere else? (As far as I know, my school of graduate studies hasn't notified people yet, but I'm still freaking out, as I sure everyone else is.)

I have no problem sharing my BG - the only thing I will keep out is institution (just until SSHRC sends out the letters...I do not want to 'out' the individual who informed me)

Going into first year of Ph.D

Small undergraduate university GPA: 4.06/4.3

Graduate GPA: 4.2/4.3

MA SSHRC

OGS

0 Pubs (one under review, which was mentioned in one of my LOR but not on my application)

5 Conference Presentations (2 at 'legit' conferences 3 at graduate conferences)

7 Research Assistantships + 3 TAs (if these even matter)

Very strong LOR - I have some great relationships (as I am sure we all do)

What I believe to be a very strong and timely research proposal

I think the proposal + letters are what did it for me, especially with the lack of publications (although from what I understand pubs for MAs going into Ph.D are weighted with less importance). I probably went through 20+ drafts and put off my thesis for two months to focus on it. I had several members of my department look at it, several faculty members outside my department (particularly in areas such as psychology and political science...which overlap with my research area), and a few professors at other universities. I took all feedback quite literally and worked extremely hard on making the proposal accessible to all audiences.

I hope that helps crimsoc, sending positive vibes your way!

Edited by bentharbour

I feel like it would help my sanity to keep track of what schools have notified people - it seems like UVic, Waterloo, Queen's, anywhere else? (As far as I know, my school of graduate studies hasn't notified people yet, but I'm still freaking out, as I sure everyone else is.)

Based on twitter it looks like UCalgary too

Thanks Konstantin! Hoping you receive positive news!

Edit: May I suggest emailing your awards officer? I approached some graduate administrators this morning and they had absolutely no news.

Thanks bentharbour! I'll just wait until someone contacts me :) Bugged enough people already!! haha