SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2014-2015

Konstantin

Does anyone have any experience turning a category A SSHRC into a category B? It turns out that I'll be studying abroad, though I applied via my Canadian MA university. I didn't end up receiving the category C (pick between the CGS or regular SSHRC) option, and now I'm in fellowships@sshrc-crsh.gc.ca limbo waiting for a response. A little assurance that it won't be an all-or-nothing situation would be greatly appreciated!

I just received my letter today. I was awarded a category B for 2 years with a score of 12.5. After many attempts at a Tri-Council grant, which all resulted in rejection, I am super excited and relieved that I finally succeeded! Congrats to everyone else who received a SSHRC, sorry to everyone who did not, and best of luck to those who can apply again next year.

I just received my letter today. I was awarded a category B for 2 years with a score of 12.5. After many attempts at a Tri-Council grant, which all resulted in rejection, I am super excited and relieved that I finally succeeded! Congrats to everyone else who received a SSHRC, sorry to everyone who did not, and best of luck to those who can apply again next year.

Congrats rferg! Patience and perseverance seem to the the key elements to SSRHC success!

I also received the letter this afternoon. 35k for 3 years with a score of 13.4 out of 20. Congratulations to all recipients, best of luck to those who have been waitlisted and those who will be applying in the fall.

Random application question out of curiosity: for those who have 6+ various scholarships, did you just enter your best six and keep it at that, or fit the rest somewhere else on the application?

Random application question out of curiosity: for those who have 6+ various scholarships, did you just enter your best six and keep it at that, or fit the rest somewhere else on the application?

Yeah- the 6 best ones in terms of prestige and cash monies. It seemed to work!

I included the most competitive of the scholarships I'd won to date, which were MA SSHRC, OGS, and several others I had to apply or be nominated for. I left out the bursaries and travel grants. I didn't even mention them elsewhere on the application.

Does anyone have any experience turning a category A SSHRC into a category B? It turns out that I'll be studying abroad, though I applied via my Canadian MA university. I didn't end up receiving the category C (pick between the CGS or regular SSHRC) option, and now I'm in fellowships@sshrc-crsh.gc.ca limbo waiting for a response. A little assurance that it won't be an all-or-nothing situation would be greatly appreciated!

I have never heard of anyone who was unable to convert a category A SSHRC into a category B award. I think it takes a few weeks to process because there are administrative hoops but I wouldn't worry.

Diakonos, sorry to hear. These scholarship competitions are often a weird mix of politics and are certainly not a measure of how valuable your project it is. Since you were unsuccessful (and not just waitlisted), you may very well want to appeal. I have no experience with that so I'd highly recommend talking to your supervisor and grad chair for some advice on how to navigate that process--could be tricky waters going forward if your appeal is unsuccessful.

ETA: Actually, I just read the appeals document and I'm not sure how you would prove your case since the grounds to appeal are entirely procedural in nature. 

Edited by cathaea

Diakonos, I am also sorry to hear. Although, from what I have heard since SSHRC does not provide written documentation the adjudication of the process (i.e., adjudication reports, reasons for awarding/not awarding, etc.) there is not much wiggle room for an appeal. Even on the website, SSHRC outlines a pretty narrow appeal process.

However, good luck in whatever you choose to do!

Mhm. I don't think there's much to be done aside from "seeking further information about the review" from "the SSHRC program officer identified in the letter of decision." I suppose I'll talk more to the grad chair and see what he says. Luckily I can still apply next year, and I probably will end up doing just that.

Congrats to the successful applicants!

I'm in the GTA and still waiting on a letter. Has anyone from McMaster heard anything from the SGS yet? I'm a bit nervous because I heard about OGS on Friday, and the timing of that (admittedly very good) news is a bit suspicious. I've been wondering if my SGS decided to hand out OGS to higher ranked unsuccessful SSHRC candidates once they had heard from SSHRC.

Ugh, the wait is killing me.

Congrats Safferz! I'm glad you got the good news before going into your comps!

Now, I'm tempted to rush home and check my mail because it's likely that my letter arrived today too. Unfortunately, I have a dinner thing and won't be home until quite late. So, I still have to wait for a few more hours before finding out!

Got the letter! In California no less! Whew- all the endless reviews and drafts of my research proposal seemed to have been rewarded.

Congrats to everybody and much thanks to everybody on the forum for the virtual support and camaraderie (even though I was mainly an occasional lurker- I enjoyed everybody's posts). Good luck next time for those who couldn't make the cut this time. It IS  a crap-shoot.

Got the letter! In California no less! Whew- all the endless reviews and drafts of my research proposal seemed to have been rewarded.

Congrats to everybody and much thanks to everybody on the forum for the virtual support and camaraderie (even though I was mainly an occasional lurker- I enjoyed everybody's posts). Good luck next time for those who couldn't make the cut this time. It IS  a crap-shoot.

I feel like USPS just shit all over Canada Post.

Congrats!!

If you've won a 4-year fellowship, will they let you know if you're on the waitlist to receive a CGS, or do they just surprise you with an e-mail when the waiting list starts to move?

Edited by Lurker12

If you've won a 4-year fellowship, will they let you know if you're on the waitlist to receive a CGS, or do they just surprise you with an e-mail when the waiting list starts to move?

They'll surprise you with an email, since there's no official waitlist for the CGS. When someone who was awarded the CGS downgrades to a fellowship, SSHRC makes that money available to fellowship winners who are eligible to hold the CGS. I don't recall many cases where this happened, but I've seen a few of these in the past few years on this forum.

They'll surprise you with an email, since there's no official waitlist for the CGS. When someone who was awarded the CGS downgrades to a fellowship, SSHRC makes that money available to fellowship winners who are eligible to hold the CGS. I don't recall many cases where this happened, but I've seen a few of these in the past few years on this forum.

Thanks, Konstantin! I can just see that somone won CGS with 0.1 point more than someone who won a 4-year fellowship. I know it differs by subcommittee but the process for upgrades doesn't seem very transparent.