GEM Fellowship 2014

TexasGuy

When I spoke with the GEM office, they said that employers will look at your application and then decide, and as they do that your status will change from matched to unmatched, etc.  I have heard nothing either.  I have been listed as matched and unmatched as well.  I was told that you can get called by an employer all the way through April. I assume since April 15th is the big deadline for schools for funding that they will ideally let you know by then.  Knowing that a lot of people haven't been contacted yet makes me feel a bit better.  I will continues to keep you guys posted!!

has anyone heard anything?

Yes, but nothing much I think. Here is what I got in my account:

University Acceptance

In order to complete your application, we need to know which university you intend to matriculate through. At least one university has indicated that you have been accepted and that they are willing to sponsor you.

If you choose to go to a university that sponsors you, and an employer agrees to sponsor you, you will become a GEM Fellow.

Which university to you plan to attend?

But no decision if I have been awarded the fellowship. Profile still says matched...........

So does anyone know if the companies get to see what university you are going to attend before they agree to sponsor you or are these two totally separate processes? It seems to me like this could impact that decision if the university you are attending is on the other side of the country and they don't think you'll relocate after graduation.

Program: Mechanical Engineering MS

Applied: MIT, Stanford, UC Berkeley, Michigan, Cornell, Princeton, UT Austin

Accepted: MIT, Stanford, Cornell, UT Austin

RejectedPrinceton

Just talked to GEM and they said they had been through 2 of 3 selection rounds already.  The final round will be closed out by mid-March.  They are planning to send out an email early next week. 

They said that matched just means that a company is reviewing your application.  And, that declaring your intended university does not mess with the company internship process.  They said they are two seperate entities. 

Cheers.

Yeah, when I talked to her yesterday she made it sound like those accepted in the first 2 rounds already know.

My impression though (or at least what I'm telling myself) is that you selection round is going to be based on when whichever company you fall under tackles the process. It's not the NFL draft, 3rd round doesn't mean you unqualified. It just means you drew the short stick get to neurotically check your email for a few more weeks.

I first got an email from my GEM employer asking if I am still interested, then I replied (this was a about 2-3 weeks ago). Then last week my employer status changed from held, to released, to matched..and I thought I wasn't being considered any longer. A few days later, I was contact by a recruited, spoke with a manager and my GEM status changed to Accepted..

I first got an email from my GEM employer asking if I am still interested, then I replied (this was a about 2-3 weeks ago). Then last week my employer status changed from held, to released, to matched..and I thought I wasn't being considered any longer. A few days later, I was contact by a recruited, spoke with a manager and my GEM status changed to Accepted..

Limpin2 congrats!

Is "released" a bad thing?

This was the response I received from GEM a few weeks ago when I inquired about the process:

"You will see your homepage Employer status change from unmatched, to matched, to held, to released as your application is previewed by several Employers. Do not be concerned with this status. No action is needed on your part."

So it would seem to me that released is a good thing. Congrats!

Program: Mechanical Engineering MS

Applied: MITStanford, UC Berkeley, Michigan, Cornell, Princeton, UT Austin

Accepted: MIT, Stanford, Cornell, UT Austin

RejectedPrinceton

Just talked to GEM and they said they had been through 2 of 3 selection rounds already.  The final round will be closed out by mid-March.  They are planning to send out an email early next week. 

They said that matched just means that a company is reviewing your application.  And, that declaring your intended university does not mess with the company internship process.  They said they are two seperate entities. 

Cheers.

I guess we never got an email.  :(

Yeah, I was sitting at work today thinking the same thing. I called them to poke around a bit and they held their ground on Mar 14th (maybe 15th... I can't remember) being their final day. He said reaching out to your potential employers through the GEM website may not be a bad idea. Guys will still get phone calls up until the last day. That being said, I personally am starting to prepare to execute my contingency plans for this summer (aka stay on active duty until school starts).

For those of you who had interviews with GEM employers, did they ever mention that it was related to GEM? I had an interview a few weeks back with a company on the GEM employer list but when I asked the HR rep if the position was related to GEM she didnt know what I was talking about.

The recruiter that contacted me actually called me a GEM Fellow in the email I received but I had two interviews with the managers that I would be working with and they mentioned that they had no idea what the GEM program is or what it entails. Moreover, it seemed like they already selected me and the interview was just to allow me have a conversation with my potential managers and know what projects I may work on.

So frustrating, I've just stayed matched since December.  Has anyone taken the initiative to contact employers of interest?   

I have and they both told me someone else has already been chosen. (sadface)