Boren 2014-2015

ChicChic325

Hello!

I am planning on applying and currently searching for lots of info on what makes a competitive application! I've been turned down before, and want to get it this time.

I was wondering if anyone had a copy of a successful application? or advice!

Thx!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! I'm apply to grad schools along with Boren and I have questions about the timeline. This may be a silly question but if I am awarded a Boren fellowship would I be able to do it before I start grad school or will the fellowship begin after my first year of grad school?

Thanks in advance :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm applying as well! Just need to get those pesky transcripts and letters of reference in order and I'll have a complete app. Unfortunately I don't have that much of a coherent study plan worked out in advance other than wanting to gain further foreign language competency - hopefully that won't be a problem on my application essays? 

• 2 months later...

I know it's not even time for the mythical budget emails (and maybe Fellowship applicants didn't even receive them last year?), but my anxiety is getting the better of me so I thought I'd post rather than rereading the 2013-2014 and 2012-2013 Boren threads. Again. 

I didn't get my letter of affiliation in time to submit with my application, although the internship I got was basically exactly what I spelled out in my application as being likely. I'm super stressed about this, because I feel like not having an official affiliation is a pretty easy way to make a cut. I called IIE last week to see if they would consider considering it as an addendum to the my application and the answer was a brusque 'no way' (not unexpected). My awards advisor said that if I get a budget update email, that's pretty much my only shot at inserting some new info to my application.

Thoughts, commiseration, general anxiety welcome.   

It's been a while since I read the past posts...but when did the budget emails come out?  Very few, if any, applicants for Fellowships last year got them.  It was all sorts of strange last year.  I try not to focus so much on it but I understand how you feel.  :)

From what I remember the budget emails were sent toward the end of March. Like aepafrica said above, the procedures were strange last year and not as standard as the years before. 

I don't think that you should worry too much about the letter of affiliation considering that it wasn't required. Unless of course your advisor indicated that it was important. I didn't include a letter of affiliation and don't believe it will weigh heavily on your application mostly because during the webinars IIE staff made it seem like it wasn't a decisive factor. I could be wrong of course.

Either way good luck! I'm glad this thread has been revitalized. I applied renegade style without the help of an advisor. It would be nice to hear if campus advisors were any help and also any tips or inside info they gave applicants.

I don't know about where you are Lissybeau, but on my campus, the advisors seem to only help the ones applying for the scholarships.  I think those guys had to turn them in early to our university and then it was decided then which to submit.  For those of us applying for the fellowship, we were kind of on our own.  There was a representative who came in December and she was really helpful.  I have a letter of affiliation and I believe I did last year but I only got to alternate status.  Here's to hoping for an upgrade this go round... :)

I am a fellowship applicant - and yes, received an email asking for any updates on budget or program dates. It says they're sending it to everyone, so not sure it's any indicator...

Anyone else?

I'm a fellowship applicant and got one as well.

They did say everyone receives it, but that means it's March and they haven't made any cuts? Not sure if they're just playing mind games or what. 

Same here.  I don't know if it means anything or not.  I guess I will be looking over my budget and dates (my dates are flexible) and seeing if there is any change.  I'm on spring break - this would suck if I didn't have access to my email at this time... :wacko:

I am applying for a Fellowship to S.Korea and I got an budget email as well. I think it's strange that they want it by tomorrow? My advisor is out of town until Monday on a conference so I'm kind of shooting in the dark here. Plus past years seem to indicate they don't typically send these emails out until late March...are we assuming that they really haven't made any cuts yet? 

Hi! I'm apply to grad schools along with Boren and I have questions about the timeline. This may be a silly question but if I am awarded a Boren fellowship would I be able to do it before I start grad school or will the fellowship begin after my first year of grad school?

Thanks in advance :)

vyoung1- It is my understanding that the only requirement for the fellowship is that you are "matriculated" in a graduate program. That being said, I believe you could do the fellowship before you start your coursework, but you need to be admitted and show proof that you are in that program of study....or at least that's my best guess with the information given.

I'm pretty sure that everyone received the same email. It's still pretty early on in the application process, I don't believe they have eliminated anyone yet.

I got a more specific email from them regarding my end date yesterday too (that appeared to be their concern).  I sent a response not too long after I received it.

Hi, I am applying for a fellowship in South Korea. I received emails regarding my budget and dates. And the bad news of not being able to participate in the domestic portion of my proposal due to my status as an IR student(?). Good luck all!

Hi Memba. The Boren website states (somewhere) that the domestic portion is more or less reserved for those in the STEM field. I definitely remember reading that a few times. However I can't recall if it depended on before or after in country study. Bummer I know.