Boren 2014-2015

ChicChic325

Wolof in Senegal

Me too, pschicago! I also applied for a Boren Scholarship to the AFLI Wolof/French program in Senegal. And I also received a "budget email" asking me to log in to my NSEP login account and update my program dates, study abroad costs, and any financial aid info! How exciting! I'm not sure if this email was sent to everyone or if this is the fabled cryptic acceptance email of years past, but either way, it can't be a bad thing we are being contacted further. I hope we are both accepted and I get to meet you in the fall!

Me too, pschicago! I also applied for a Boren Scholarship to the AFLI Wolof/French program in Senegal. And I also received a "budget email" asking me to log in to my NSEP login account and update my program dates, study abroad costs, and any financial aid info! How exciting! I'm not sure if this email was sent to everyone or if this is the fabled cryptic acceptance email of years past, but either way, it can't be a bad thing we are being contacted further. I hope we are both accepted and I get to meet you in the fall!

I'm actually just applying for wolof, not french, but either way, yes, good luck to you too!

What is the second e-mail? I didn't receive it - wondering if this was sent only to the people who they intend to offer the fellowships to. What exactly did the e-mail ask? 

:( Neither did I. Bummer. 

Is anyone else a scholarship applicant who received the budget update? I'm applying for a Boren Scholarship to study in China!

Hi Chinagurl94! I also received the budget update email and my scholarship is to study in China. Which program did you apply to? I applied to CET Harbin and the CIEE Intensive Language programs. My preference is CET Harbin. Have heard excellent things about that program and I am impressed by the rigorous curriculum.

What is the second e-mail? I didn't receive it - wondering if this was sent only to the people who they intend to offer the fellowships to. What exactly did the e-mail ask? 

No one in this forum mentioned a second email on here unless it was to specifically clarify dates and such....unless you are aware of something not mentioned in this forum. It would appear that the scholarship "budget" email was sent later than the fellowship budget email, so maybe that is why you're confused. 

anyone else receive another more specific email from them about budgets or dates? I did yesterday. Asked for updates by end of week. 

Can you say a bit more about this? After the initial, general email that everyone got asking for updates on budget and dates, you got a second email asking for even more specific info?

I did not receive the budget update e-mail :/ I was just wondering if anyone else did who applied for the scholarship. I applied to study abroad a semester, but found out I'd be able to go for the year. I'm an officer candidate in the United States Marine Corps, and have lived in China before. I hope they give me the scholarship, it would help a bunchhhh.

I am unsure what the asking for a budget update means, actually. I understand why you would wonder though. I hear you on how much it would help! That's my mindset on it too.

Oh and I applied to study at Fudan University in Shanghai.

That is excellent! Apologies, I mistakenly hit the red button by your comment ...I hope it isn't a block button. I tried to reverse it but it won't let me. 

Yeah, for Hopkins-Nanjing Center.

Ugh! Sorry again...I don't why I hit the red button instead of the freaking quote button!

I wanted to say that that is excellent, congratulations on your acceptances to such great universities! 

Hi Chinagurl94! I also received the budget update email and my scholarship is to study in China. Which program did you apply to? I applied to CET Harbin and the CIEE Intensive Language programs. My preference is CET Harbin. Have heard excellent things about that program and I am impressed by the rigorous curriculum.

SmarteyMartey, congrats! When and what time did you receive the budget email?

Congrats SmarteyMartey :) if I don't receive the scholarship, I'm going to go anyway. It just would've helped a lot.. Might have to work over summer or save up the money from officer candidates school to use it for next year. Perhaps we can travel in China together!

Congrats SmarteyMartey :) if I don't receive the scholarship, I'm going to go anyway. It just would've helped a lot.. Might have to work over summer or save up the money from officer candidates school to use it for next year. Perhaps we can travel in China together!

Chinagurl94, thank you very much, I appreciate your congratulations! That's excellent that you are determined to go to China anyway. It would be excellent to have a travel buddy! I will add you on here and keep in contact with you.  :)

For anyone curious, I've copy and pasted below the exact language of the email I received on March 18. I think this is the "budget email" some are referring to.

After receiving this email, does anyone have a clue what your chances are of being awarded, being selected as alternate, or getting nothing? I'd love to have a better picture of what type of back up-planning I ought to do.

Dear __________:

Thank you for submitting your National Security Education Program David L. Boren Scholarship application. Your application is being considered and final award decisions will be announced at the end of April 2014. If your study abroad program has an earlier deposit deadline, you may want to let them know that you are awaiting a decision from the Boren Scholarship.

If you are awarded a Boren Scholarship, you will be required to attend the Orientation and Convocation Ceremony in Washington, DC on June 9th and 10th. If you are awarded, certain materials will need to be submitted before your first award disbursement would be issued.  In addition, you would need to purchase your airline tickets before receiving your first disbursement. Funding would then be distributed over the duration of the program and not in a single installment. Please plan accordingly.

As your application is being considered, we request that you provide IIE with additional information about your study abroad dates, program costs, and financial aid status.  The Boren Scholarship online system (https://nsep.iieweb.net/nsep/nseplogin.asp) allows you to submit the requested information electronically.  Applicants should use their original user name and password to log onto the system.  Please be sure to hit the “UPDATE” button in order to save the requested information online.

AFLI applicants with an official domestic program should NOT include the costs or dates for the summer domestic component in this update.  Swahili applicants who are applying for the official AFLI spring internship should include those costs and dates in this update.

** PLEASE PROVIDE IIE WITH THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION USING THE ONLINE SYSTEM BY5:00PM EDT MONDAY, MARCH 24, 2014! **

A.      Cost of attendance at home institution – Please state your total cost to attend your current U.S.institution for one academic year.  Include tuition, room and board, books, etc. as appropriate. Do not subtract financial aid or scholarships/grants.

B.      Updated Financial Aid Information – If you receive financial aid, identify the total amount of financial aid that you receive for an academic year.  Include scholarships, grants, AND loans.

C.      Study Abroad Dates and Cost –The table lists your study abroad dates and costs as stated in your application.  You must contact your study abroad program to determine if anything has changed.  If so, enter the new dates or amounts in the space provided.  The program costs MUST be broken down into the following categories: 

• Cost of tuition and fees – If your home institution requires you to pay its tuition rather than the study abroad program costs, please include your home institution tuition costs in this field.
  • Cost of room and board – This is housing and food. This should include costs incurred during program breaks if you are to remain in your host country.
  • Cost of round-trip international airfare – Please remember that you must travel on a U.S. Airline as far as possible.
  • Cost of books, insurance and local transportation.

Please be as accurate as possible in estimating these costs, keeping in mind that Boren does not select recipients based on their budgets.  If there is no change to the information listed, you will need to reenter the same dates/figures on the second column. If you budget was not previously broken down, please contact your study abroad provider to get the costs broken down into our categories.

D.      Study Abroad Financial Aid - If you receive financial aid, identify the amount of financial aid that at this time you are certain you will receive for your proposed study abroad.  Do not include loans or tentative scholarships/grants.

Do not hesitate to call our office at 1-800-618-NSEP or email boren@iie.org if you have any questions.  We look forward to receiving your updated information by 5:00PM EDT Monday, March 24

Boren Award Staff
Institute of International Education (IIE)

1400 K Street NW, Washington, DC 20005

Phone +1.800.618.NSEP | Fax +1.202.326.7672 | boren@iie.org

Chinagurl94, thank you very much, I appreciate your congratulations! That's excellent that you are determined to go to China anyway. It would be excellent to have a travel buddy! I will add you on here and keep in contact with you.  :)

Thank you! That would be great. Congrats on receiving the budget e-mail. I wish you good luck! China is beautiful, I used to live in the southeast, and really look forward to going back. 加油加油!

Do you guys know of any instances where a budget email was not received but a scholarship was still awarded? I should probably move on now, haha.

Hi morocco1, from perusing past years' forums, I believe there was one person last year who wrote that they never received a budget email but were awarded Boren. I'm not sure if they were a scholarship or fellowship applicant. Hope that is helpful to you!