didn't tell her I didn't get in last year

obaka

So last year I applied to grad school and didn't get in anywhere. I don't really have any kind of relationship or dialogue with this one particular prof (grad student wrote the letter, lol) so I never really got around to telling her I'm a complete failure. I'm applying now, and to a different field of study, and I basically need to drop the bomb on her now that I didn't get in last year,I need the letter, and I'm not interested in her field anymore. I seriously have no idea where to even begin in writing this email and I'm worried she's going to be really annoyed with me. Any help? =/

You are NOT a complete failure for not getting into grad school your first try. I'm not even sure why you would think that. Getting into grad school is HARD and very few people get accepted. I doubt your professor will be annoyed that you were not accepted last year. However, I'm not sure why you would want a letter from her if you are applying to a different field and don't know her well anyway.

I second that not getting in the first time around doesn't make you a failure.  Professors know this and sometimes have words of wisdom to help you.  Now you need another letter.  I would schedule a meeting with this professor and do the following:  thank them for the previous letter, state that you didn't get in, explain what you've been doing since then to improve your chances this time, explain how/why you decided to switch fields, and explain how another letter from her will help you this time.  Be prepared for her answer to go either way considering that you don't know her well and that you're switching fields.