2013 Slavic Applicants

vosemdesyatvosem

• 2 months later...

Congrats 88!! 

I've also applied to Slavic programs this year. I haven't jumped into this thread, honestly because I've been superstitious about talking about where I've applied to - I won't even tell extended family, to their frustration.

Congratulations on your acceptance to Yale! What is your area of focus?

Yeah, I guess I understand that impulse.

I'm interested in 19th century fiction and especially the challenges that the Russian empire poses to postcolonial theory--basically, I think the russian empire destabilizes a lot of the assumptions implicit in concepts like the other and orientalism, so I want to develop a new critical vocabulary to treat rigorously a unique cultural situation.

Yeah, I guess I understand that impulse.

I'm interested in 19th century fiction and especially the challenges that the Russian empire poses to postcolonial theory--basically, I think the russian empire destabilizes a lot of the assumptions implicit in concepts like the other and orientalism, so I want to develop a new critical vocabulary to treat rigorously a unique cultural situation.

or you could just translate chaadaev.