French MA and/or PhD applicants 2014!

rosestark

Hi everyone...this is my first post. Hello!

I saw some threads for French grad school applicants for previous years, but not one for this year. Correct me if I'm wrong.  Who's out there and applying to French master's and PhD programs? Which schools? What are your research interests?

I'm preparing apps for University of Texas, Tulane, and Vanderbilt--they're my top choices (but very worried I won't get in). I also am thinking about applying to masters programs at 2-4 of the following places: U of Florida, U of Georgia, Louisiana State U...maybe Florida State or University of North Texas...or just maybe Notre Dame or Boston College. [Any thoughts on selecting among those? I haven't seen anyone on this forum who's applying to Southern schools! Hope that means my chances are 100% ;). Actually I'd love to hear from anyone about their aspirations for, experience with or knowledge of these schools] Though my top choices are those 3 PhD programs, a good thing about getting a master's would be that I'd have those years to refine my research interests and re-apply to my top schools for the PhD - or even decide to go another route entirely. So that's the plan.

As for my (admittedly unrefined) research interests... I think my greatest area of interest is religion/spirituality in French artistic expression. I'm also interested in the influence that cross-cultural encounters have had on art & aesthetics (Western vs Eastern aesthetics), AND translation theory! Maybe I could study the reception of translations in foreign places, acceptance of translated versions vs originals for artistic and/or sacred texts - to try to tie it all in. Okay honestly there is a lot I'd love to learn more about. But I'm trying to stay focused here.  B)

Enough about me. What about you?

Bonjour,

You may have read a little from the post I created last app season for French PhD applicants, and I have stumbled upon yours just now!  I have a few things I would like to say:

1. Not to be discouraging, but last year, I knew several people who applied to Vanderbilt, and literally everybody was rejected because they ultimately decided they had no further positions/funding.  Not a single person was admitted.  I hope that has changed this year.

2. Speaking of MA programs/U of Florida, I accepted the offer to U of Florida's MA program, and that's where I am currently studying.  I can answer any questions for you regarding the program.

3. Lastly, regarding your interests, I think you would find a happy home here.  Most students in the program are French Linguistics (including myself), and the French Lit (where I assume you would go) is a small and close-knit group, and I think your interests would be a neat mix.

Bonjour M,

I think I did read some of the thread you created, and remembered there was a U of Florida person around here. Thanks for saying hi!

Wow about Vandy...I can't believe they has no further positions/funding! I mean, I believe you, but wow. I do appreciate you telling me that - I hope the program isn't shutting down in some way. In any case, I won't be shocked if I don't get an offer. 

I decided just this past week to definitely apply to University of Florida and University of Georgia, and I feel really good about U of Fl and the answers I've gotten so far regarding the program. And now I have access to a grad student...(hmmm! Questions! Oh and you're right, I'd be the Lit rather than Linguistics group)...I am not even really sure what to ask.

Okay, got it:

1. Flexibility? : How much support/independence do grad students get in choosing their foci, their research projects, their classes (so maybe if an area of interest isn't explicitly offered as part of the required coursework, could one opt do an individual study or seminar type of class in order to study a particular theme/topic? How many grad level courses are offered per term - have you ever had problems with there not being one suited to your interests?).

2. Extra-currics? : How is the area as far as French-related events or groups (I thought maybe I remembered UF having a Table Française), etc.? Speaking of which, are students encouraged (and able to fit in time) to go to academic conferences or publish papers (maybe that's more a ph.d. thing, but...it can't hurt to set the goals for myself - would that be realistic?)?

Bonjour M,

I think I did read some of the thread you created, and remembered there was a U of Florida person around here. Thanks for saying hi!

Wow about Vandy...I can't believe they has no further positions/funding! I mean, I believe you, but wow. I do appreciate you telling me that - I hope the program isn't shutting down in some way. In any case, I won't be shocked if I don't get an offer. 

I decided just this past week to definitely apply to University of Florida and University of Georgia, and I feel really good about U of Fl and the answers I've gotten so far regarding the program. And now I have access to a grad student...(hmmm! Questions! Oh and you're right, I'd be the Lit rather than Linguistics group)...I am not even really sure what to ask.

Okay, got it:

1. Flexibility? : How much support/independence do grad students get in choosing their foci, their research projects, their classes (so maybe if an area of interest isn't explicitly offered as part of the required coursework, could one opt do an individual study or seminar type of class in order to study a particular theme/topic? How many grad level courses are offered per term - have you ever had problems with there not being one suited to your interests?).

2. Extra-currics? : How is the area as far as French-related events or groups (I thought maybe I remembered UF having a Table Française), etc.? Speaking of which, are students encouraged (and able to fit in time) to go to academic conferences or publish papers (maybe that's more a ph.d. thing, but...it can't hurt to set the goals for myself - would that be realistic?)?

I will do my best to answer your questions.  As far as flexibility goes, I am actually rather suprised at the flexibility I have seen in the department.  Grad students are often left to their own devices (which is good and bad). The department is fairly split half and half lit/ling, so you will have lots of people to talk to about your particular interests.  As I am linguistics, I don't know too much about what lit students focus on.  I will say that as far as the MA goes (and remember that UF doesn't have a PhD program anymore), it's a little more general.  Most students do a thesis, and they are pretty free to write on what they will (with guidance of course).  I haven't gotten to the thesis stage yet. 

Class-wise, it's a little limited.  For example, this semester, there was one linguistics class to take (so we all took it), and two literature classes to take.  This is offset, however, by the fact that most students can choose to take cross-listed classes or related classes in literature or linguistics departments, pending approval from your supervisor. The standard courseload for us is 9 credits (3 classes); generally, these credits are paid for by the department through an assistantship (you'll be teaching French every semester).  You'll also be paid a small stipend.

Socially, there is a French club that I believe is rather active (although I am not part of it).  It caters mostly to undergrads, but you may be asked to facilitate discussion and also invited to events etc.  As far as conferences go, two that I know of have spoken at conferences this semester, and we also have small workshops here at UF.  For example, this past weekend, we had a workshop on "French in Contact" which was spread over two days.  Once you're in the listserv you will be forwarded plenty of emails related to conferences, workshops, etc.  Although you are right -- that's mostly a PhD thing.  We have a few PhD students left, but as I mentioned, the PhD program is shut down until further notice.

I will do my best to answer your questions.  As far as flexibility goes, I am actually rather suprised at the flexibility I have seen in the department.  Grad students are often left to their own devices (which is good and bad). The department is fairly split half and half lit/ling, so you will have lots of people to talk to about your particular interests.  As I am linguistics, I don't know too much about what lit students focus on.  I will say that as far as the MA goes (and remember that UF doesn't have a PhD program anymore), it's a little more general.  Most students do a thesis, and they are pretty free to write on what they will (with guidance of course).  I haven't gotten to the thesis stage yet. 

Class-wise, it's a little limited.  For example, this semester, there was one linguistics class to take (so we all took it), and two literature classes to take.  This is offset, however, by the fact that most students can choose to take cross-listed classes or related classes in literature or linguistics departments, pending approval from your supervisor. The standard courseload for us is 9 credits (3 classes); generally, these credits are paid for by the department through an assistantship (you'll be teaching French every semester).  You'll also be paid a small stipend.

Socially, there is a French club that I believe is rather active (although I am not part of it).  It caters mostly to undergrads, but you may be asked to facilitate discussion and also invited to events etc.  As far as conferences go, two that I know of have spoken at conferences this semester, and we also have small workshops here at UF.  For example, this past weekend, we had a workshop on "French in Contact" which was spread over two days.  Once you're in the listserv you will be forwarded plenty of emails related to conferences, workshops, etc.  Although you are right -- that's mostly a PhD thing.  We have a few PhD students left, but as I mentioned, the PhD program is shut down until further notice.

Thanks! It's great to hear about the department from a student in it and I appreciate your answering my questions. Your answers fall mostly in line with my expectations for the program, so overall good. It is a little disappointing to hear course selection in grad-level French is limited, but taking courses in related department(s) is something I wanted to do anyway, so I can definitely work with that. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am applying this cycle as well, rosestark!

As for UT-Austin, I'm currently an undergraduate student there.  The department is so small and cozy.  The professors are such a pleasure to work with, and I feel fortunate to have them as fantastic mentors.  However, I'm not sure there is anyone here whose interests align 100% with yours, though Prof. Tissières' work looks promising.  She has extensive knowledge in African and Caribbean Francophone literature, film, and art. 

My top choice at the moment is Michigan.  My main areas of interest involve the problematic issues surrounding courtly love and representations of the female body in medieval literature.  Intersections between race, gender, and sexuality are also of interest.  I need to refine my research interests for sure, and I hope I'm able to do so in graduate school.  What an exciting process!

Bonjour!

I am already in a Master/Phd program but since you are applying to some of the schools I applied to I wanted to provide my input.

Boston college- I applied there, didn't get in...actually it's an interesting story....apparently they do not accept a lot of students because the program is small, and in fact they didn't even tell me at the end that i was not accepted...I just sort of figured it out on my own. I applied to all other schools, and they all have either provided an acceptance or rejection letter, but not this school. Was pretty frustration!

Also I got into Florida state and U of Florida. I decided to head east instead, but can tell you that Florida State's French Department is very diverse and I would recommend it over U of Florida. The campus however is preety rural and there is not much to do there (except study of course!)

Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

I'm a current MA student in French Linguistics at UF (and I also did my BA here) so I can answer any questions you might have about the program.

I'm currently applying for the PhD at UC Davis, IU, and UT Austin. 

Edited by mattskiba

Hello all! I'm applying to Cornell, Michigan, NYU, Stanford, UCLA, and Wisconsin for French lit.  My mentors say they're all very competitive programs, so I'm beyond nervous about this whole process. I'm also looking into other opportunities like internships or teaching programs should I not get any acceptances this application cycle.  

Edited by carrot_flowers

Hello everyone, 

I have applied to Ph.D. programs in French and film studies at Yale, UPenn, WashU and Emory. My research interests are francophone literature and cultural production, including film, of the Mediterranean and Africa. 

My top choice is Yale. The fact that they offer a combined degree with film is very appealing to me. I am freaking out, though, because my application will be reviewed by both departments (french and film) and I need to be accepted by both. Does anyone know how important GRE scores are? I have a 157 on verbal (73%), but rather disappointing scores on the quantitative and writing sections --I knew I was going to flunk math as I didn't prepare at all, but was shocked to see my writing score. I'd thought I did very well-- Professors I've asked told me the math section is not that important. I know it's about the entire profile of the person. I have a high GPA, strong letters (haven't seen them, but I chose professors who love me and are familiar with my work) and studied French for 15 years.

What do you guys think? I'm personally very nervous! 

I've heard so many mixed things about the GRE.  I think it depends on each program, and I'm sure it's especially tricky when you have two departments reviewing you!  I would think that other parts of your application would make you a compelling applicant, especially if your rec letters are strong.  Then again, I am totally new to this process and am just speculating.  Your guess is as good as mine!

I've heard so many mixed things about the GRE.  I think it depends on each program, and I'm sure it's especially tricky when you have two departments reviewing you!  I would think that other parts of your application would make you a compelling applicant, especially if your rec letters are strong.  Then again, I am totally new to this process and am just speculating.  Your guess is as good as mine!

Thanks for responding, carrot_flowers. I worked so hard on my applications, especially the one for Yale. I got in touch with professors before I applied, and told them what my research interests were. They all encouraged me to apply and said my interests mesh well with theirs, and encouraged me to apply. But don't they encourage almost everyone to send their dossiers [?].

I would hate to know that applications for French might stand or fall depending on GRE scores.

On a different note,

Does anyone on here know if colleges cover travel expenses and accomodate applicants invited to visit the campus and/or for an interview? I have to travel overseas in case I decide to visit, and I'm not sure I can afford that at the moment. -- I haven't been to any campus I'm applying to, except for WashU in St. Louis.

Merci a tous, et bonne chance (je n'arrive pas a mettre les accents orthographiques, desole) :-)

Glad to see we're all on the same boat!
SelimPhD, I don't really know about GRE, I guess it depends. I think they definitely look at your score on the verbal section (the maths part seems quite irrelevant...). 

I suppose we won't hear anything before February. 
Thanks france2010 for answering our questions!

On a different note,

Does anyone on here know if colleges cover travel expenses and accomodate applicants invited to visit the campus and/or for an interview? I have to travel overseas in case I decide to visit, and I'm not sure I can afford that at the moment. -- I haven't been to any campus I'm applying to, except for WashU in St. Louis.

Merci a tous, et bonne chance (je n'arrive pas a mettre les accents orthographiques, desole) :-)

If cost is an issue, I'm sure you could probably do a Skype interview (though different time zones may pose a problem).  I don't know how common interviews are for our field though.

I haven't been on the forum in a while and am excited to see this thread has come to life in my absence...Yay for other francophiles undergoing grad school applications!

Carrot flowers, thanks for your input in regard to UT-Austin, it's good to hear a positive impression of the department. I may not have done a very good job describing my interests here (oh no! I hope my personal statement does a better job!) ; but I really am quite interested in UT faculty members' work (from what I can see that they've published on) and there are several people I could see myself working with.

Francophile1, thanks for your input on the Floridas and Boston College! I ended up not applying there (BC), mainly because of location, but did apply to UF. I was so close to applying to FSU too, but I just couldn't bring myself to add another to my list and it got cut (so darn expensive to apply to schools! not to mention time-consuming and stressful haha).

Nikel, I'm so glad you provided the info about Vanderbilt!! It's good to know (well, maybe it's bad to know...) that Vandy will accept 2 students. Such a small number...I wish I could tell you about the programs/campuses you mention, but I really haven't had experience with any of those places. I did visit Vanderbilt a few years ago and had an overall favorable impression. 

And just to update--I ended up applying to U of Texas, Vanderbilt, U of Georgia, U of Florida, and Tulane, and I will possibly also apply to University of North Texas. 

Btw, in regard to when we might hear things...UGA notified me that they begin doing phone interviews in late Jan/early Feb with applicants. (That seems really soon to me!) I'm freaking out a little!

Just heard good news from UCLA.  Wow, that was fast!  I feel like I'm in some fantastic dream!

Wow nice!!! Congratulations! Did you receive a formal letter from the Graduate School?

Wow nice!!! Congratulations! Did you receive a formal letter from the Graduate School?

Thank you! As for a formal letter: nope. I just received an email from the department that was full of good news.  It seems like things need to be formalized, but they would like me to come out and visit the campus.  This is the first time I've heard good news of any sort in a very long time.  

Thanks carrot_flowers for the information on UT-Austin.  I am really interested in their program and it's nice to hear good things about their faculty.  I have an interview with the Linguistics Faculty on Monday.

It sounds like there are many people interested in UF.  I'm applying to UT-Austin, Wisconsin, UF, Louisiana State, Ohio State, Illinois, Indiana, UC Davis and Georgia.

What do people think of Wisconsin? The school is ranked exceptionally high for research, but I'd like to hear more if anyone out there is in the know! :)