French MA and/or PhD applicants 2014!

rosestark

Congrats on the good news to those of you with interviews & acceptances! It is exciting to begin hearing things!

I've got a Skype interview scheduled with one school Tuesday which I'm considering great news since it means I made the first cut. Another school emailed to say they will contact applicants for interviews in the language of study in late Jan/early Feb, so I hope to hear from them soon too. I haven't heard from the other schools I'm applying to, but some of their deadlines haven't even passed, so I'm not worried.

Yet.

Just worried about my interview! I want it to go so well! I have definitely never interviewed in French...or on Skype. 

Has anyone heard anything from Stanford yet?  When I submitted my app they said something about flying people out for visits and notifying them by mid-January about this.  I haven't heard anything yet, so I'm guessing Stanford might not happen.  Welp.

I am waiting on Stanford too and beginning to think I was crazy to even think I had the smallest chance. Maybe they're just being really really slow this  year (we can still hope?)

Does anyone know about Yale's process? Do they usually schedule interviews or just notify people by e-mail? The wait has been unbearable. I haven't heard a words from the schools I applied to, except for Washington University in St. Louis (DGS and POI -same person- e-mailed me thanking me for applying and saying decisions will be sent out by end of Jan. The e-mail was [sort of] personalized. Not sure if that means anything).

Someone posted they were invited to the interview weekend at Emory. Haven't heard anything from them yet so I don't think I made the final cut.

Also, I need some advice. My POI at Yale (he's the one who responded to my initial inquiry back in September and we exchanged multiple e-mails) is on LEAVE OF ABSENCE this semester. This worries me A LOT! Do you guys think he'll be reviewing applications? I e-mailed him in December asking this very questions - he never replied. Any thoughts?

Just to answer your question about Yale—they tend to conduct Skype interviews.

Thanks for your answer---Do you know anyone applying this season who has heard from them?

Edited by SelimPhD

Received an email from Stanford that said invites for campus visits were sent out last week.  I didn't receive one, so  I don't know if I should just take this as a gentle early rejection or not.

That's weird of them to send you this kind of email, universities usually don't say anything negative until April, are you sure it's not an invite?!

Has anyone heard anything from Princeton? I know they usually send their interview invites around this time, I'm starting to feel pessimistic!

I am under the impression (i.e. I really want to believe) that a lot of schools are being extremely slow with invites this year. I've been looking at the results page and a lot of them usually send invites by Jan 20 -- I haven't heard anything from UPenn, WashU, or Yale. I haven't been invited to an interview at Emory. They said they weren't able to put me in the "first round". I think it was a gentle rejection, though.

I would be lying if I say I'm not a little déprimé!

Just heard from Princeton.  They asked me to do a Skype interview this week.  It seems they want to learn more about my research interest in the manner in which I see myself fitting into the program.

Anyone else heard from them?  

Anyone been invited to Princeton for an on-campus interview yet?

I am new to the forum so…bonne chance à tous et à toutes!

I heard back this from UTexas (after a skype interview a week ago) with an admittance and fellowship - YES!! In other news, UGA has sent invites for telephone interviews to be held, but nothing at all yet from Vanderbilt, or from Tulane or UF (but the app deadlines haven't yet passed for those two); so that's my report. Hope you all continue to hear back & get good news! Seems like it's starting to heat up.

I heard back this from UTexas (after a skype interview a week ago) with an admittance and fellowship - YES!! In other news, UGA has sent invites for telephone interviews to be held, but nothing at all yet from Vanderbilt, or from Tulane or UF (but the app deadlines haven't yet passed for those two); so that's my report. Hope you all continue to hear back & get good news! Seems like it's starting to heat up.

Salut Rosetrak,

At Austin, did you apply for French linguistics or French Studies? 

Thanks carrot_flowers & Bellifontaine! It is an unbelievable feeling to have what I wanted materialize. 

Salut Rosetrak,

At Austin, did you apply for French linguistics or French Studies? 

French Studies.