bioinformatics vs biophysics application advice

bsharpe269

Hi all,

Background:

undergrad degree: math

gpa: 3.3 gpa, mgpa 3.0

research: worked in a bioengineering lab for year,1.5 years of biomath modeling research and also a biomath REU at a fairly pretigous state school. I won a pretty big reserach award from my university and published a conference paper.

Current:

masters: bioinformatics.

GPA: 4.0 this semester and should stay like that

research interest: structural bioinformatics including protein folding and stability. I am in a research group (the professor is pretty well know) in this field.

GRE: I am thinking of taking the math GRE to prove that I am strong in that since my gpa isnt great. My current general GRE scores are 158V, 162 Q which I will try to raise since those are old.

It seems that the work I want to do sometimes falls into bioinformatics departments and sometimes falls into biopysics. Can I apply to either program or will my application look underprepared for a biophysics phd? With my background do I have a shot at schools like Colombia, U Maryland, Stonybrook, UC Berkley, UC Davis to name a few? I want to end up in DC, NYC, or San Francisco due to my significant other's job.

Thanks!