University of Vermont

GirlattheHelm

Live in San Diego, HS Senior next year. I'm accepted to UVM GIV Summer Engineering Institute Camp, but will cost $1500 for out of state. Do you think it is worth it? Will it help on engineering application? I know the school isnt high-ranked for engineering, but seems good for environmental related engineering, which i am interested in. Have enough miles that travel should be basically free. Thanks!

Live in San Diego, HS Senior next year. I'm accepted to UVM GIV Summer Engineering Institute Camp, but will cost $1500 for out of state. Do you think it is worth it? Will it help on engineering application? I know the school isnt high-ranked for engineering, but seems good for environmental related engineering, which i am interested in. Have enough miles that travel should be basically free. Thanks!

I'd say go for it. It's only a week but it's supposed to be intensive.

First, it gives you something to do. More importantly, something to do while being away from a parental unit (though in today's society you'll be overly supervised).

Second, assuming that this is a clustering of truly magnificent engineering 'nerdom', there may be the possibility you'll learn something! What a novel concept!

Third, even for a week $1500 isn't that much. It's roughly $215 dollars a day and for the expenditures presented between a babysitting squad, food, supplies, gas, cash for the lecturers, compensation for other odds and ends expenditures... the price makes sense.

And, lastly, it's definate resume material.

How's everyones apartment hunt going?

It sucks a big one. BUT there might be light at the end of the tunnel. I'm going to Burlington tomorrow (early!) and going to put the pinch on apartment hunting. I'd try the grad-housing but that's, well, a small mint. Ugh...

To ASTRAROTH

I do believe the 575/mo apartments are furnished. I wouldn't be too concerned about not knowing your roommate. It is graduate housing after all. Undergrad days are for the most part over. The person you will be living with will most likely/ hopefully, be a serious student who is older and more mature. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I applied for this as well but have yet to hear anything back. I wish they would get back to me. I've heard from numerous people, including many of the people in my department, that they are very nice, and super convenient. It sucks not being able to visit burlington before I move out there, so I'm just going to hope that it all works out for the best. And if worse comes to worst I will move next year.

Have you looked on the UVM listserv? They have listings of people who are searching for roommates and roommates searching for housing.

Hope everything works out for you.

To those of you apartment searching already... what has worked? Is in downtown Burlington too expensive or just too annoying from so far awa? Or have you been planning on student housing all along? My fiance and I have been browsing Craigslist and property management sites, etc. since we hope to near UVM, but not in campus apartments. We're visiting in two weeks and hopefully finding an apartment then. I'll let you all know how it goes. Good luck!

I got a reply from AFH, they said they will be allocating rooms in the next 2 weeks so we should find it soon enough. The rooms are decently furnished, you get a bed, dresser, desk and chair, but the lounge is unfurnished. Could probably pick up a nice couch from a porch sale. I guess I shouldn't worry so much about my roommate, if someone has made it through to grad school they are likely to be at least half sensible :) I'm not looking forward to have to commute to uni every day but I guess I'll just have to bear through it for a year.

Hey! I got the same message from housing... which is a relief. I am tired looking for a roommate and a place.

As far as the commute...its really not a commute...its like less than a mile. You could walk on nice days (and take the bus...everything is on the bus line)

see you around

• 4 weeks later...

Getting quite frustrated with AFH, they are really not doing me any favors. Last week I called and asked for my status and was told I would definitely know whether I do or don't have a room by Friday. I called again on Friday and was told I would receive an email by Monday. It is now Thursday and I have still not heard. I have 1 month to go before I move to Burlington and I cannot afford to waste a single day not looking for a house if I actually do need to be doing that.

From what I can gather, they are somewhat disorganized. I called a few weeks ago and found that I did in fact have a place. I had to call again to get them to fax over my address and all other information. They told me I would hear from the current occupant of the house. Yet to hear that either.

I understand your frustration. They are annoying, and that really sucks that they have yet to tell you if you have a place.

I actually heard back last night, they offered me a room beginning August 15th even though my desired date was August 3rd. I am in fact moving from overseas and have booked my flights long ago so they are really not making things easy for me. I've accepted the offer but have asked them to find me some solution.

In any case, I am very excited and can't wait to start!

Edit: All very nicely sorted :D

• 1 month later...

How is everyone doing? I'm having a great time, so far at least, classes start Monday and it's looking to be fairly intense what with the lab work and TA duties. Burlington is a truly wonderful place, I really love it here! Living at Fort EA is also nice because it's a "quiet" area (apart from right now due to nighttime roadworks on the highway!) and I've met some cool neighbours, however it is a hassle living so far from downtown and I think I might at least try to move to Winooski next year. I will also really need to get a car sometime soon, I hadn't appreciated just how sprawling the Burlington area is and that you can't really go grocery shopping without being on the bus for an hour (thank goodness they are free!). Seems that the weather is already turning, it's reminding me of English weather more and more, but I'm looking forward to fall AND winter.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use