Poor GRE Chemistry Score; Analytical Programs

tylerjohnson3208

Hey All,

I just received my Chemistry Subject Test score, and it was less than encouraging. I was in the 39th percentile. This was very disheartening and unexpected after my general test scores; 90% and 95% for quantitative and verbal, respectively. I have no idea what happened; I was easily scoring 70-80% on practice tests. 

Are my chances sunk? I am from a small state school. I have a 3.5 GPA and nearly two years of research experience. I'll also be graduating with two minors (Math, Physics) and a certificate in Scientific Instrument Development. I know that "there's always a chance" and all that, but I hoping to get into some of the stronger analytical programs in the country (UNC, U of I, Purdue, etc.)? What do you guys think? Anyone have a similar experience?

As a side note, my particular field of interest is chemical instrumentation, with a focus on lab on a chip technology. In researching schools, instrumentation focused programs were difficult to find; anyone have some suggestions? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

You will need to have a first author paper to get into schools like that. I know 3 people got accepted to UNC and Purdue without submitting a Chem GRE. Their GPA and GRE were mediocre but they had publications...

# Papers in good journals & "amazing" LoRs & fellowships > GPA, GRE, Chem GRE, Certifications, # of posters & presentations

Publish or Perish  :rolleyes:

I think you're more interested in Chemical Engineering, micro/nano-fluidic device development aka lab on a chip.  

Edited by Quantum Buckyball

Why even submit to schools (like Purdue) that don't require the Chem GRE? If it's only going to hurt you, there's no point. Unless, like another poster on this forum, you automatically submitted after finishing the test.