Writing Sample for psychology PhD program

catsandcaffeine

I was just wondering...is it okay to use the introduction from my thesis as a writing sample? The intro is about 10p and the program is not requesting a specific page length. I also have a fake research report for a class that I wrote last semester. Not sure which to include...I am applying to Cognitive Psychology PhD programs.

Edited by catsandcaffeine

I was just wondering...is it okay to use the introduction from my thesis as a writing sample? The intro is about 10p and the program is not requesting a specific page length. I also have a fake research report for a class that I wrote last semester. Not sure which to include...I am applying to Cognitive Psychology PhD programs.

Why just the intro? 

I'd suggest creating a form of your thesis with the best chapters, between 15-30 pages. If your intro is one of your best chapters, great. Include it. But why not include your findings, too? Or some of the substantive research in the middle?

Just a thought. :)

Mainly because I'm still in the process of completing my thesis :unsure: but I suppose I can just try to finish the proposal before then. Thanks!

I would be worried that if you're using the intro from an unwritten thesis, the intro is itself unfinished. As you go, your argument will develop - as well as your ability to explain and clarify it, as a proper intro requires.

If you'd like, shoot me a private message. I'd be happy to compare your intro with your "fake research report" (why is it fake? because it wasn't published?).