SFSU Fall 2014

friedgreentom

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I applied for Fall 2014 and when I called they said my application was in review with the department, even though my portal said the application was incomplete (which I confirmed it wasn't). So it must be a glitch in the system. Do we know how many people applied this year? Or when we should be hearing from them? 

Hello,

I got the same incomplete message. I called in and they told me that I needed to send in my official transcripts into SFSU Graduate studies. Even though I already submitted my transcipts to the MSW program but I guess they need need them as well.

And I'm super nervous to hear back if I got in or not.

Does anyone know if you can defer this program for a year?

Hi all! I also got the incomplete message but when I emailed grad admissions, they said they're still going through transcripts, etc., so if it is still there by the END of February, then you should send another transcript to them. 

I attended their info session and I believe they said they are accepting only about 20-25 students because of funding...

• 2 weeks later...

I received a call inviting me to interview for the Title IV-E program. I'm super excited and nervous. Anyone else apply to Title IV-E?

I received the same call for Title IV-E! But they wouldn't tell me if I've been admitted to the MSW program or not  <_< I figure though they wouldn't waste time and give interviews to people that weren't admitted to the MSW program...ugh I hate the anxiety 

I received the same call for Title IV-E! But they wouldn't tell me if I've been admitted to the MSW program or not  <_< I figure though they wouldn't waste time and give interviews to people that weren't admitted to the MSW program...ugh I hate the anxiety 

Yea, I'm curious about their selection process. Like you, I also figured they wouldn't be considering people who haven't been admitted but I guess you never know. Either way, I'll take it as a good sign :)

Does anyone have any idea when SFSU will get back to us??

Hi HopefulMSW, The initial card I got in the mail a couple months back acknowledging receipt of my complete application said they would be notifying people in April, but the impression I got after my interview seemed like it could be earlier than that...?

Also, I noticed that you are deciding between BU and Simmons. I'm wondering why you chose programs on the East Coast? I ask because I'm from MA but live in the Bay Area (have been living here for about 10 yrs now). I considered doing a program back home, but I love the Bay and plan on staying and working out here so it just made sense for me to apply to programs in the Bay Area. Do you plan on permanently moving East?

the card i received when i submitted my application also said "by april". but... last year people were hearing back as late as july.

in any case, has anyone been "referred to department" yet? it seems that sfsu is slower to update their online portal than other UC and CSU programs.

I got the same card in the mail about April. When I called a few weeks ago they said my application was referred to the department, but nothing on the status checker online has changed. So still trying to be patient....

Hi HopefulMSW, The initial card I got in the mail a couple months back acknowledging receipt of my complete application said they would be notifying people in April, but the impression I got after my interview seemed like it could be earlier than that...?

Also, I noticed that you are deciding between BU and Simmons. I'm wondering why you chose programs on the East Coast? I ask because I'm from MA but live in the Bay Area (have been living here for about 10 yrs now). I considered doing a program back home, but I love the Bay and plan on staying and working out here so it just made sense for me to apply to programs in the Bay Area. Do you plan on permanently moving East?

Hi ontheswpath, I grew up in the Bay Area and I definitely plan to come back a few years after I get my social work degree. As for why I applied to so many programs in the MA area - my background is in clinical research and I made it a point to apply to programs where there are professors that are conducting research in my area of interest and where I would have the opportunity to be involved in their research. The Boston area just so happened to fit the bill, and also, I figured this would be a great opportunity to live in another city for a few years before settling again in the Bay Area.