Berkeley MSW 2014

MJL34

I just got a rejection email.. I applied to the Community Mental Health concentration

Sorry to hear that :( Was this your first time applying? Fingers crossed for UCLA. The weather's better there anyway! (Says the former Angelino, current Bay Area resident who's always cold)

@luv2bootscoot: it was my first time applying - I spoke about being removed from my parent's care and being sexually assaulted - maybe it was just too intense of a statement for them...

Edited by esimanon

This is my first time applying to MSW programs, but I applied to a clinical psych program two years ago and got rejected (similar to a counseling program).  I contacted the professor who interviewed me asking what I could do differently the next go round and he gave me some really good tips.  I was really careful going about contacting him and thoroughly planned what I wrote in my email.  He was really helpful and basically told me the next time I apply if I follow through with getting more experience I'll basically be accepted.  I decided to switch to social work any how but I would definitely recommend doing this for any schools that reject your application :).  It stinks getting rejected but it's not the end of the world and now that you were able to get through the process itself, you most definitely can do it again and make it even better.  Good luck and hopefully you hear good news from the other schools you applied to!!! 

@dreet51- Wow! Thank you for your advice and thoughtful response. I am feeling so much better after reading your suggestion and will definitely follow suit. I wish you luck with your admissions as well! :)

This is my first time applying to MSW programs, but I applied to a clinical psych program two years ago and got rejected (similar to a counseling program).  I contacted the professor who interviewed me asking what I could do differently the next go round and he gave me some really good tips.  I was really careful going about contacting him and thoroughly planned what I wrote in my email.  He was really helpful and basically told me the next time I apply if I follow through with getting more experience I'll basically be accepted.  I decided to switch to social work any how but I would definitely recommend doing this for any schools that reject your application :).  It stinks getting rejected but it's not the end of the world and now that you were able to get through the process itself, you most definitely can do it again and make it even better.  Good luck and hopefully you hear good news from the other schools you applied to!!! 

Thank you for such a sincere post. Good luck and God Bless You

Sorry to hear @esimanon. Hopefully you will get into UCLA. I think dreet51 makes a good suggestion. I know if I do not get into any of the programs I applied to I will definitely be contacting the departments to see how I can strengthen my application for next time around. Wishing you good news from UCLA!

@ontheswpath - thank you for your support! I am hoping to get into UCLA but I have to say that I don't have a car and want to ultimately find work in the Bay Area - the idea of moving just doesn't sound so exciting :/ 

Do you think that people who reapply still have a good chance of being admitted if they improve their app? I'm thinking those applications may be a little tainted? yes? no? I sure hope not...

@ontheswpath - thank you for your support! I am hoping to get into UCLA but I have to say that I don't have a car and want to ultimately find work in the Bay Area - the idea of moving just doesn't sound so exciting :/ 

Do you think that people who reapply still have a good chance of being admitted if they improve their app? I'm thinking those applications may be a little tainted? yes? no? I sure hope not...

I know what you mean. If you get into UCLA that will be a tough decision: Move to LA or wait to re-apply to Berkeley. I don't know what your Stats and experience are but I'm sure you will have a better chance if you re-apply. You may want to wait until admission season dies down and then ask someone in the department if they wouldn't mind taking a look at your file and giving some feedback on how you could strengthen your app. I would think re-applying would show that you are really determined to get into the program.  :)

I'm not sure if you've already read this post/thread, but I definitely found it very helpful and informative: 

Just know that everything will work out in time! Good luck to you!