University of Michigan MSW Fall 2014 applicants!

U-M_Detroiter

Thanks JTexas . Where in WA should I be looking for the decision?

Thanks, halshima! Be sure to check Wolverine Access first; I got the email from the Assistant Dean 4 hours after the decision was posted on WA. Best of luck to you!

For those of you interested in macro social work, consider checking out this blog. I found it pretty helpful in terms of what careers will be available to me after graduating, and what the macro field is like (This is not my blog, just one I found by a Michigan grad).

http://michgirlcafe.blogspot.com/

Hey all - I was admitted to UM on Monday and received the "official" notification via email today. They noted March 1st as a deadline to respond! I still haven't heard back from the dual MSW/PhD program I applied to, let alone heard anything about financial aid from UM, so March 1 is definitely not going to happen for me. Anyone have familiarity with how flexible they are regarding these deadlines? I figure if I don't hear re: financial aid/from the other program within the next week, I'll give them a call and explain. (Even further- I applied to the GSSA position and according to their fact sheet, those decisions won't be made until mid-March either!).

I'm hoping and think that they are probably flexible. I was accepted but don't know anything about financial aid yet either. I applied to a few of the scholarship programs. If I don't get into one of them or get another good scholarship I really can't realistically attend. I don't think they would expect people to make a decision before they make scholarship information available. 

Congrats mrridgeway and jarenolds!!! Can I ask when did you guys apply?? Thanks! 

Thanks, pmelwani! I applied (and my application was complete) on 11/30/2013. All of my rec's and my transcripts, etc. were in before I submitted, so they confirmed my app. was complete the next day.

Edited by mridgeway

Im having the same March 1st problem. I wont even hear back feom Berkeley till mid March!! Most programs deadlines for accepting is mid april, so this is really unrealistic.

I'm hoping and think that they are probably flexible. I was accepted but don't know anything about financial aid yet either. I applied to a few of the scholarship programs. If I don't get into one of them or get another good scholarship I really can't realistically attend. I don't think they would expect people to make a decision before they make scholarship information available. 

jarenolds- I'm with you. I also applied for the CW Scholarship which I know can take a while to hear back on. 

I've basically decided to wait for my financial aid information and then flat out ask for an extended deadline. I'll update once it gets to that point! If either of y'all do the same, let me know what they say!

pmelwani- I think I applied around the 21st and heard back about two weeks ago.

I applied to 3 schools but Michigan is probably the only one I would go to so if I hear back about financial aid I can commit I just can't otherwise. I applied for the CBI scholarship. If I don't get that $40,000 in tuition is just way too much. I'll find something else fun to do with life maybe. 

Did anyone apply dec 1st get their decision yet? Still waiting.

I applied Nov. 30 and received my decision on the 10th!

Has anyone heard back about financial aid/scholarships yet? If so, where do you go to view them?

Nothing yet here. I was told financial aid info. would come in another email, but so far it hasn't come. One email said "within the next two weeks" and one said "in the near future". I'm guessing it takes a few weeks? It's only been one week for me.

I applied Nov. 30 and received my decision on the 10th!

Nothing yet here. I was told financial aid info. would come in another email, but so far it hasn't come. One email said "within the next two weeks" and one said "in the near future". I'm guessing it takes a few weeks? It's only been one week for me.

I was accepted I think Jan 16th? and still haven't gotten anything about financial aid. Maybe I should email them and ask? 

Has anyone heard back about financial aid/scholarships yet? If so, where do you go to view them?

I got accepted about a month ago...and still have not heard anything about financial aid. I called the other day and they said something should be sent shortly.

I got accepted about a month ago...and still have not heard anything about financial aid. I called the other day and they said something should be sent shortly.

Okay. Its been about a month for me as well. I'm hoping to get something soon! 

For those of you worried about the March 1st deadline (like me!) I just emailed the school last night (ssw.oss@umich.edu) and asked for another week. I'll be sure to post what they respond with, because there is no way I can make a decision without financial aid information :(

I emailed them and asked. They said they hope to have the information out as soon as possible. If it is not available by the deadline you have to respond then you can email them a few days in advance and ask for an extension and include the date you think you can decide by. Of course my date would be totally dependent on them but I would probably just ask for a few more weeks. My guess would be that they will have the info before the deadline to avoid causing themselves a headache but I don't really know.

I ended up emailing and asking for a later deadline, but haven't heard back yet. I'm not stressing too much. If it takes over a month for financial info, then I'm sure they'll accomodate to allow a later decision. Or at least, I'd hope so.

I received information on scholarships and grants today. They said that I should hear from the office of financial aid at a later date. 

I did as well. However, I received a deadline to respond to the financial aid information that's earlier than the deadline given for admission. These deadlines are killing me. I'm going to ask for yet another extension...

For those who have received their financial aid packages (scholarships, fellowships, assistantships, etc.), would you mind sharing what they include?

I am not a current applicant but I would like to get an idea of the awards given to prospective students (i.e. how much per year).

Also, if the info is available, how does your Umich award compare with that of other universities where you received funding?

Thanks!