For applicants to Immunology/Microbiology PhD programs

DirtyLabCoat

Yeah, this waiting game is not fun.

I got an email from UCSF saying that due to the high volume of applicants to the BMS, decisions may be delayed until early/mid Jan. Other than that, my email has been quiet.

Does anyone know if Hopkins is done sending out their Immunology invites? There's only one on the results board, and I can't believe out of everyone here only one person has been contacted. ( although from the looks of their interview list they must have an awesome profile) I also find it interesting JHUSPH MMI released invites prior to the January 2 nd deadline.

No news is good news, for now.

Has there been any news from UCSD or Berkeley (Infectious Diseases and Immunity)? I also applied to Stanford and UCSF, but sounds like we won't be hearing from them until January...

I saw some Weill Cornell IMP interviews today. Any idea if there are more going out, or if a rejection should be expected?

Does anyone know if Hopkins is done sending out their Immunology invites? There's only one on the results board, and I can't believe out of everyone here only one person has been contacted. ( although from the looks of their interview list they must have an awesome profile) I also find it interesting JHUSPH MMI released invites prior to the January 2 nd deadline.

No news is good news, for now.

I got an invite, but I'm not sure if they're still sending out more.

• 4 months later...

Can any of you guys please give an overview of your credentials?? I will be applying to an Immuno PhD program this upcoming fall for fall of 2015.

Can any of you guys please give an overview of your credentials?? I will be applying to an Immuno PhD program this upcoming fall for fall of 2015.

Hey Jayem,

Sure I'll be happy to oblige you!  To be dead honest, I don't have the most stellar stats.  In fact, I had an undergrad GPA that's just over 3.0, and my GRE scores were about 154/159.  However, I make that up in my research experience.  I have at least 3 years of research work in an immunology lab at my undergraduate institution.  To be more specific, two of those years were spent as an undergraduate researcher, and currently I am spending my last year in the same lab working as a lab manager.  I also have a second part-time job as a tutor at a local learning center, and I've been there for at least a year and a half now.

To make a long story short, it was mainly my research experience that helped me get in to an immunology graduate program.  I'll spare you the specifics of what I did during my time in the lab, but if you want to know more about it you can PM me if anything.  Take care and good luck when you apply! 

Undergrad Institution: The Johns Hopkins University (JHU), Biology

GPA in Major: 2.8

Masters GPA: 3.9 (JHU Biotechnology Program with Thesis)

GRE Quant: 160

GRE Verbal: 158

GRE Analytical Writing: 4.5

I've been in the immunogenetics field since June 2009. I've got 5 years of clinical lab experience and 4 years of research with a thesis (masters was part time for 2 years while working 40+ hours a week and taking call) . Additionally my thesis research has been presented at 3 national meetings ( American Heart Association, American Society for Histocompatability and Immunogenetics and Immunocor- Directors meeting) I lost some focus during undergrad but obviously have shown how serious I am about my academics now considering my performance in my masters program. I'm pretty sure my strong suite was my research background as well as focus on future goals. I was told by some I had a great SOP and interview well. Best of luck !