Was this forum necessary?

Guest Gnome Chomsky

Guest Gnome Chomsky

Maybe not, but I think the SLPs were probably getting annoyed with us hijacking their forum!

I'm just teasing you. 

I feel the same way about computational linguistics. I always double post my threads (one in comp sci and one in linguistics). The comp sci ones never got a response and I think I got one response in the linguistics one. So lonely. Oh so lonely. 

That's so funny! Hey, on the bright side, it means less competition for our chosen programs, right?!?! haha. I see that you are also applying to Syracuse. It's one of my top choices and I'm working on my application at the moment...

Guest Gnome Chomsky

Yea, Syracuse is my 3/4 option out of 4 schools. If I get into UW I'm going no doubt. It's a one year MS and I have one year left of my GI Bill (pays full tuition and $1,500 a month housing allowance). They have more rigorous classes when it comes to programming. You take classes, intern at a tech company, and write a thesis. I like Seattle and the weather/climate of the northwest. It's in a tech mecca. And they have a good system for students to transition to the PhD.

Ugh, I am getting so stressed out about my applications. My GPA is not up to par at all and I'm so intimidated by the stats of the programs I am applying to! I took care to apply to programs that had high acceptance rates, though. Originally I meant to apply only to lower ranked programs but some of these are even more competitive! I hope that my personal (I'm a bilateral CI user), research, and volunteer experience will help overshadow my GPA. 

JoeyBoy718, I hope you get into UW! Your stats in your signature look excellent. Good luck on your GRE on January 5, I'm retaking mine on January 6. I was lucky that the programs I am applying to are willing to accept a later GRE score. 

Mine are pretty much all in. Now I don't have to care about it! One of my recommenders did get back to me today and tell me he wouldn't send a letter to an additional school because "he's already done four" and that's his limit. Problem is, he's only done three! I don't know how to correct him, but I already have three for that school so it's whatever.

Joeyboy, good luck if you move to Seattle. I've lived here for the past four years and am applying to places as far away as I can get.

That's so strange! All of my recommenders have been more than happy to do multiple recommendations for me but there is no limit at my school as to how many they can send. Hopefully this year is my year or I will feel REALLY bad asking again! haha.

I'm still currently applying (ugh) but I at least have most of my applications done. I'm hoping to have them sent by the end of this month.

I think they are equally competitive. There are more people that apply to SLP but more programs, and the programs have more spots. Where are you applying? I have 7 applications in! My GPA isn't stellar either, but I keep telling myself those are averages and people with a 4.0 that apply to a lot of places throw off the averages. 

I would agree with AuD2018 in that they're both similarly competitive - while fewer people apply for AuD, the cohorts are a lot smaller. However, from the admissions data I've seen for schools, incoming AuD students are quantitatively less strong than the SLP stats I've seen. Diversity in academic background is more valued in audiology, so that might be why. Then again, I don't buy into the "numbers matter" ideology. I think if you're a decent student with something concrete to show the adcomms, you have as good a chance as any.

Thanks guys, I feel a lot better now. haha. I need to remember that I DO have a lot of non-academic experience, which would bring something to the field. I hope that we all get in this year! Where did you apply?

I'm also applying to 7 schools. I wanted to make sure that I got in somewhere this year, as this is my second time applying. I applied to: UBC (in Canada), the University of Maryland-College Park, the University of Wisconsin Au.D. Consortium, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, Northern Illinois University, Syracuse University, Pacific University and possibly A.T. Still University or Illinois State University. A.T. Still is a good program but is expensive with no funding. 

I'm not applying to audiology but I want to share my own experience meeting with an audiologist.

I had an acute ear infection that caused severe vertigo and when I saw the audiologist, I went into a sound booth and he tested my hearing and thought it was a neat experience. I didn't know much about AUDs until that experience. I now appreciate my hearing and balance after that. :)

Anyone here interested in balance disorders?

Edited by Patont

Balance IS interesting. I used to have pretty serious balance issues as a side effect of when I got sick with meningitis when I was young. It caused my hearing loss and it took a lot of practice and patience before I regained my balance. I hope to study it further in school! 

Guest Gnome Chomsky

So what exactly is audiology? I'm somewhat familiar with SLP. I got my undergrad in linguistics. My school had an SLP master's but not a bachelor's, so a lot of the SLP hopefuls got linguistics BAs with me.

So what exactly is audiology? I'm somewhat familiar with SLP. I got my undergrad in linguistics. My school had an SLP master's but not a bachelor's, so a lot of the SLP hopefuls got linguistics BAs with me.

Audiologists study hearing and balance.